Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Hose Clamps Are Not All The Same

For most applications an approved hose clamp should be used. On:
Suction Hoses
Pressure Hoses
Raw Water Hoses
Antifreeze Hoses
Dripless Packing
Really anything that will fill your boat with liquid should it fail.
In the picture the top clamp is approved and the bottom clamp is basically junk. Name:  ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464752141.113997.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  20.0 KB

Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Déjà vu Hose Clamps

In my humble opinion both of those hose clamps in that photo are junk

T bolt clamps will never let you down

gaston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:27 AM   #3
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
For most applications an approved hose clamp should be used. On:
Suction Hoses
Pressure Hoses
Raw Water Hoses
Antifreeze Hoses
Dripless Packing
Really anything that will fill your boat with liquid should it fail.
In the picture the top clamp is approved and the bottom clamp is basically junk. Attachment 52590
Approved by who ?
reference please.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:34 AM   #4
Guru

I have slowly changed out all of the hose clamps on our Sabre sailboat...a job that should have never been necessary, to aba type clamps. Between the cheap spec and the incorrect size clamps we had our share pressure water leaks! Never mind thru hull hoses.
Yikes!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:35 AM   #5
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I have slowly changed out all of the hose clamps on our Sabre sailboat...a job that should have never been necessary, to aba type clamps. Between the cheap spec and the incorrect size clamps we had our share pressure water leaks! Never mind thru hull hoses.
Yikes!
Bruce

We had the same issues on our 41' sailboat. Even the dripless shaft packing was the junk clamp‼️👀
Old 06-01-2016, 06:43 AM   #6
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
What determines a junk clamp? Just perferations?

If every tidbit that came along was truly necessary for your safety on a boat.....

I would never have the money or time or even the will to boat...or been able to live aboard and sleep soundly for 10 years and boat another 40 on top. All without incident.

While top of the line clamps are nice.they are hardly absolutely necessary.

The only hose clamp I have ever had fail that damaged or flooded a vessel was a brand new Caterpillar clamp that failed. It caused the loss of coolant on a brand new Cat engine and enough damage to return the boat to the factory for replacement. I think it was some kind of t bolt type.

Nice clamps are great.....but good installation of decent (not top of the line).clamps and checking critical ones is way more important.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:44 AM   #7
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Approved by who ?

reference please.

Recommendation for equipment listed by ABYC.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:45 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
We had the same issues on our 41' sailboat. Even the dripless shaft packing was the junk clamp‼️👀
It always amazed me that a company would choose this as a method of saving a few dollars! Pass the cost along to me as I'm simply going to have to replace them anyway...and I'll have to invest all of that time contorted into weird spaces!
Bruce
Old 06-01-2016, 06:54 AM   #9
Guru

I belive I have heard that required double hose clamping is another myth that is not required for every connection....the two that I remember are fuel fills and exhaust hoses.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:00 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I belive I have heard that required double hose clamping is another myth that is not cited anywhere except fuel fill connections.
I always base this on the length of the tail piece. If it is long enough to comfortably accommodate two clamps then two clamps it is, if not, then one clamp is used...
Common sense?
Bruce
Old 06-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I always base this on the length of the tail piece. If it is long enough to comfortably accommodate two clamps then two clamps it is, if not, then one clamp is used...
Common sense?
Bruce
No....not common sense....but common myth passed down by opinion that makes it required.

Otherwise everything in the world would be double.

Like twin engine boats, cars, and planes. Singles designed for a task are sufficient...

Especially on drains not under pressure or suction hoses....99 percent of the time you can hardly get them off with NO clamps on them.

And no I don't take this stuff lightly....I have been an avid student of it for decades which includeed boating reliability in the last 2 careers I had,
Old 06-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
I can find no such reference in my copy, Exactly what Standard and where within the standard.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:13 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I belive I have heard that required double hose clamping is another myth that is not required for every connection....the two that I remember are fuel fills and exhaust hoses.
Double clamps are required by ABYC Standards in only two instances. Exhaust hose connections (P-1) and Fuel fill hoses
(H-24, gasoline, H-33 diesel).
Old 06-01-2016, 07:15 AM   #14
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Two clamps below the waterline on connections that can flood your boat. And yes for marine use (especially a salt water environment) those perforated clamps are junk. I began to replace them systemically after I found several rotted away and useless. They are bad for soft hoses too. If you are so broke you can't afford AWAB types, then at least invest some money in a can of Corrosion X and treat them upon installation and completely inspect condition of clamp and underlying hose on a regularly scheduled basis. I've had clamps where if you just took a look at it from the easiest view, it looked OK, only to find the other side was rotted through.

Watch out using T-Clamps, especially those without the constant torque springs and/or torque wrenched. They are very easy to over-tighten and crush what lies below. I had to remediate that problem in a few places, most expensively two crushed muffle tubes.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:24 AM   #15
CMS

City: Casco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Déjà vu Hose Clamps

In my humble opinion both of those hose clamps in that photo are junk

T bolt clamps will never let you down

At least not until the spot welds let you down. Above waterline t-clamps are fine but I will not install them below water, seen too many fail at the spot welds.
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Double clamps are required by ABYC Standards in only two instances. Exhaust hose connections (P-1) and Fuel fill hoses
(H-24, gasoline, H-33 diesel).
Thank you.

As overly concerned with safety as ABYC seems...wonder why they aren't suggesting type and quantity more?

Could it truly be just old salt legend and not statistically supported standard?

For those concerned...... sure.....double clamp hoses that would sink your boat if they were to come undone (clamp failure AND possible movement).... and replace with whatever type clamp you feel is better when you are working there (not general replace all) as time goes on or when you find a failed one.

For new boaters out there....always be concerned with the safety and condition of your boat....but realistically keep in mind what is luxury over necessity, gold standard over good enough, ocean crossing capable over ICW brown water crawler...etc...etc... don't let other boater's worries smother you (take heed, but be reasonable about it) or their limitations automatically be your limitations.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #17
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Boats are amazing.

Remove a hose clamp after 1 year anywhere else and good luck trying to cut the damn thing off. Have less than two of the most expensive clamps on a through hull with at most 2 psi behind it and some will argue your boat will sink.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #18
CMS

City: Casco Bay
Quote:
Not in my copy of the standards? AWAB clamps are tremendously reliable, as well as quite resistant to corrosion, but they are not a requirement under the ABYC standards.
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:23 AM   #19
Guru

Anything that can sink a boat gets my full attention! On our Sabre we suffered the consequences of empty water tanks 3 times in the first season, after I had checked the clamp tightness as many times! This is when I began changing clamps...
In our case, whomever plumbed our boat had a thing for too large a clamp for the application and this was partially to blame for the ever loosening clamps. There were a number of clamps that simply would not hold and this I attributed to simply poor quality.
All below waterline clamps were changed first and then all too large clamps where excused from duty. Finally, any time I change a hose, the original brand clamps are tossed. It was an unnecessarily costly exercise that could have been avoided with a simple request for a specific clamp and it is a mistake I will not make again.
Bruce
Old 06-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #20
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Boats are amazing.

Remove a hose clamp after 1 year anywhere else and good luck trying to cut the damn thing off. Have less than two of the most expensive clamps on a through hull with at most 2 psi behind it and some will argue your boat will sink.
The on land ones are not subject to the sat water corrosion and exposure elements that the marine ones are. Why not spend an extra buck or two and get the best solution rather than cheap out with a poor solution? Some real penny-wise pound foolish advice on this thread. Yeah, that's the ticket, let's take a little added risk to an engine or for that matter the whole dang boat for the price of a couple of Kaliks....

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote