Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Honda vs Yamaha 40HP Outboard

I'm looking to replace my dinghy with an RIB that can take a 40HP outboard. Preferred supplier typically fits Honda, but I may be able to get a a Yamaha on it.

Any experiences here with Honda mid-size outboards? Comparison to Yamaha would be nice.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Laconner
I currently have a 40 HP Mercury on one of my tenders. Supposedly the block was made by Yamaha in that year. It has been a good,z reliable motor. I have had experience with the Honda in that range and it was a positive one. Last year I purchased a 115 Yamaha for another tender and the Yamaha is wonderful. I know they all want good, clean fuel so filter and use stabil. I don't think you could go wrong with either brand.

Bigsalmonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I have a 40hp Evinrude e-tech w a tiller arm and have had good (flawless) service w it but I don't have many hours accumulated.

I like the 30hp Honda very much because it has an offset drive shaft. The crankshaft has a gear on it's bottom end and the powerhead is about 3" forward of where it normally would be. It costs them extra to make it that way but it's a much better balanced unit. Now I don't know if their 40hp OB has this feature but I'd look for it if I were buying. It should be much easier to tilt and turn.

One thing I don't like about the Honda's is their tall gear ratio of about 1.8-1 .
My Evinrude is 2.67-1 by comparison. The e-tech swings a prop almost 14" in dia. It's possible on a dinghy a smaller higher speed prop may be preferred.

Both Honda and Yamaha have an excellent reputation so it's more a question of what you like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0744 copy.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	16216  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Guru

Yes, BSF I think either brand will work fine. Yamaha have a lot more market penetration but I've found several Honda service centers here in SE Qld so i think I'll be OK with a Honda. The RIB guy could manage a Yamaha I think, but it might involve additional cost.

Eric, the Honda claim their 40 is the lightest in its class. It has a 2.08 gear ratio and standard prop seems to be 11.25". A little better gearing than you mentioned. No idea about the drive train setup you referred to.

Amazing that the weight is very close to the 2006 Yamaha 50HP 2 stroke on my current RIB. I was looking to re-use that motor, but the new aluminum RIB is rated to 40 max.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
If you're cruising, Yamaha parts are much more available throughout the US and Caribbean.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Both are exceptionally good outboards.
I have a Honda 40 at present, which has been completely trouble free.
I have had a couple of Yamahas in the past, both of which have been trouble free.
It is notable that wherever I have been in Mexico or Central America, Yamaha seems to have 100% of the local market, so presumably service would be good there, if ever needed.
Check your own area for market share and choose your engine.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Guru

I have a Honda 40 and would gladly swap it out for a Yamaha. I used to have a larger Yamaha that was more durable/reliable. Plus, I believe that Yamaha service is more easily available.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Inssequent wrote;

"Eric, the Honda claim their 40 is the lightest in its class."

I bought a 60hp Suzuki because it was the heaviest in it's class. They made their 90hp OB w the same powerhead. The 60 Suzy was 300cc bigger than the other OBs as well. For that application I wanted heavy duty on a comparitive basis.

For my dinghy I bought the lightest I could find ... a 2hp 2 stroke Yanadog.

My big Suzuki is very heavy though. Like a diesel OB probably.

That 40 Evinrude isn't light either but when I load that big skiff up it's excellent thrust is golden. It's the same engine basically as their 60hp.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
I am a Yamaha fan, Yamaha 200, Yamaha 15 four stroke, Yamaha 3000 Inverter generator, Yamaha Kodiak ATV. Can't beat them IMHO, but maybe I have just had good luck with them. I found Honda to be more expensive in my area and dealers not as easy to deal with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1472 (Large).jpg
Views:	181
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	16230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0837 (Large).jpg
Views:	128
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	16231  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
Guru

Reading a few posts here I had a couple of thoughts.

First, if Yamaha are so dominant in the Caribbean, would a Honda be less prone to theft as it would stand out, probably not be as easy for the 'fence' to offload?

Second, do these high tech 4 strokes have the same service setup as modern cars - do you have to plug the manufacturer's diagnostic computer in for service? If so, how many developing country, remote, small dealers have the equipment? In other words, is the seemingly ubiquitous spread of Yamaha a meaningful advantage?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 AM   #11
FF
Guru

Second, do these high tech 4 strokes have the same service setup as modern cars - do you have to plug the manufacturer's diagnostic computer in for service? If so, how many developing country, remote, small dealers have the equipment? In other words, is the seemingly ubiquitous spread of Yamaha a meaningful advantage?

Agreed , so the old standby a 40 HP Evinrude old style 2 stroke might be a better choice for cruising.

No problem with repairs , its been almost the same for decades!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
What is interesting to me is why does the Honda engine in my 2000i genset start right up after sitting for seven or eight months with old gas and continue to run like it should but an outboard will not?

Yesterday we were expecting high winds here in NC. So to keep the electric from going off I figured I would start the genset as it hadn't been run since the August hurricane season. I did nothing to it except pull the start cord about ten times before it started. When it started it spit and sputtered once or twice and then off it went. Now it starts on the first pull as always. I did treat it to some new fuel by adding Seafoam to the three gallons in the auxiliary tank (at least three years old) and three more fresh gallons as well.

It seemed to have worked the electric didn't go off once and the high winds are now past.

So why can't the outboard 4 cycle engines do the same?

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
What is interesting to me is why does the Honda engine in my 2000i genset start right up after sitting for seven or eight months with old gas..........
Good to know! I've been mulling over getting one for a few years.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Have been running a Honda 40 for two years without any issues.
However, I agree that yamaha seems to dominate in the Carribean, so all things being equal, I'd be leaning that direction.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #15

My original post has been censored so I will try again in a more kindly manor. Why not consider a Domestic built product, they are every bit as good in technology and build quality as the imported product and will help to support our ailing economy.There I hope that does not upset anyone this time.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
My original post has been censored so I will try again in a more kindly manor. Why not consider a Domestic built product, they are every bit as good in technology and build quality as the imported product and will help to support our ailing economy.There I hope that does not upset anyone this time.
I am Australian. There is no Domestic product. In any event, its a global marketplace these days and I'll buy the best I can afford provided its not coming from somewhere with UN Trade Sanctions in force.

For outboards at present there are two leaders, and a bunch of followers in the second tier. The second tier brands have a market niche or two, but I've owned or had personal experience with quite a number of them over the years. Mostly the US brands, but also Suzuki. These days I would only consider one of the leaders, hence the title of my original post. Which seem hard to split. But at present I'm thinking it will be Yamaha if the RIB supplier (Honda dealer) can get one on the transom for the same price.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #17
FF
Guru

if the RIB supplier (Honda dealer) can get one on the transom for the same price.

Initial cost is not the biggest factor in life cost of an item.

Ask any Volvo owner if cheap to keep works for them.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #18
Guru

Fred, I am curious--- are there any domestic manufacturers left? I was under the impression (possibly mistaken) that even the old US named OBs are now manufactured in whole or in part overseas (Asia). Just curious!!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #19
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
So why can't the outboard 4 cycle engines do the same? __________________
Vinny

They do
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
Guru

Expat:
Sine you live in Australia, have you considered a diesel OB? Am I correct in thinking they are available/legal there? It always seemed a pity to me to have to carry multiple containers of highly flammable gas when I had hundreds of gallons of safer diesel on board already.