Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The domestic product is boldly posted in post #3.

Not in compliance w the OP .. just say'in it's domestic. Well the company is a Canadian company but the product is made in the states. So I've been told.

The cost of the Yamadog will almost certainly be well above that of the Honda since he is a Honda dealer.

Ther'e all good engines. Pick the one you like whether it's color, features, price or service. Wer'e pleasure boaters (I'd say yachtsmen but some don't like that) and the choices of equipment is almost never ever going to pay you any dividends so choose the one you like.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #22

City: St James City, Fl
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad 25' Trawler
My Nimble is powered with a 22 yr old Honda 45 outboard. It has been relativity trouble free with the biggest expense with the lower unit. Older Hondas did have corrosion issues in the lower unit.
It always starts (knock on wood) and I will likely replace it with another Honda.And my 8 yr old Honda 2000 genny has always started too...!

Nimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #23
Guru

I talked to a man at the boat show that seemed to be under the impression that the offset shaft was no longer available but looking up the specs should clear that up. I suspect he may not really know. He also seemed to believe the gears at the bottom of the crank allowed for some shaft speed reduction so it's possible the offset shaft means the Hondas have double reduction. However I think the overall reduction is not low considering the smallish props they employ. On my e-tech I like the big prop, low gear ratio and high thrust but it comes at a small price as it puts nore torque into the steering system. I'm more than aware of this as I'm running my 40 e-tech w a long tiller for steering. Honda could have just as easily gone w the low gearing so the smaller prop and taller gearing (as I'vesuggested before) may be more appropriate for a dinghy. With hydraulic steering, a big heavy boat to push w economy and thrust in mind the low geared Evinrude would be the best choice. So sometimes the features of a product aren't necessarily an element of quality but features of the most suitable application.

For the OP at this point I'd be about ready to suggest going for the Honda. And even more so if it has the offset shaft.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #24
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Eric
You are spot-on with your comments. I still haven't seen anything written about the offset shaft but haven't searched very hard.

At the boat show I thought the guy said 'a Yamaha would not be much extra, if anything'. Now I have the written quotes it turns out the Yamaha would cost me an extra $800, so I guess he cant get a deal on it or didn't really try to. Or perhaps Honda are coming to the party a bit for boat show deals. I cant justify the extra $ under the circumstances - a new VHF and dive ladder are better use of the funds. So it will be a Honda 40 for me. Even though I'm not a fan of the color!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
Expat:
Sine you live in Australia, have you considered a diesel OB? Am I correct in thinking they are available/legal there? It always seemed a pity to me to have to carry multiple containers of highly flammable gas....
I have not (knowingly)seen a diesel OB, nor seen one offered for sale locally. Can`t comment on legality,definitely question availability.
I share your criticism of gas/petrol fuel onboard but what leads you to think diesel OBs are available here?
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #26
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
I'm looking to replace my dinghy with an RIB that can take a 40HP outboard. Preferred supplier typically fits Honda, but I may be able to get a a Yamaha on it.

Any experiences here with Honda mid-size outboards? Comparison to Yamaha would be nice.
merc is lighter faster and sips fuel
Old 02-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #27
Guru

Floyd I think it's the same engine so perhaps not likely.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Floyd I think it's the same engine so perhaps not likely.
just went through that last year and found thats no longer true on most 4strks. the yam is three cylinder and merc is three, or four in the bigfoot model.
i was going to buy a yam cause the honda was to heavy then switched to merc for a five year warranty and availability. i was impressed and think it uses less fuel than my 9.9
Old 02-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
What is interesting to me is why does the Honda engine in my 2000i genset start right up after sitting for seven or eight months with old gas and continue to run like it should but an outboard will not?

So why can't the outboard 4 cycle engines do the same?
Might be something to do with the engine size and sophistication JD. My Honda 2hp does just like your genny, even after sitting unused for months and with stale fuel. I suspect it is because the bigger ones are fuel injected, and not carburettor fed, and also they like higher octane being higher compression engines. Stale fuel loses octane anyway so I always fill up with high octane so it lasts longer.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #30
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Stale fuel loses octane anyway so I always fill up with high octane so it lasts longer.
Peter B

In BC, higher octane fuel has less (if you are really lucky, zero) ethanol, so stays fresh longer. Hard to get at a marine fuel station, so hauling in jerrycans is preferred for the dinghy.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #31
FF
Guru

Hard to get at a marine fuel station

NOT in FL where outboards are very common so the docks sell good fuel.

Ethanol doesn't travel well, so it is added by the dist at the end pipeline , or the local fuel dist. As soon as there is enough demand , most will deliver "off road fuel" to the local boat docks.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Stale fuel loses octane anyway so I always fill up with high octane so it lasts longer.
Peter B

In BC, higher octane fuel has less (if you are really lucky, zero) ethanol, so stays fresh longer. Hard to get at a marine fuel station, so hauling in jerrycans is preferred for the dinghy.
In Oregon they sell gas without ethanol but its expensive. I use it for my lawnmowers and wedeaters. I switched most other things to diesel
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #33
FF
Guru

"In Oregon they sell gas without ethanol but its expensive."

IN use (cars boats) the non ethanol will usually give 10% to 15% better mileage,

but the real $aving is in NOT having to repair items.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #34
Guru

In Washington it seems Union 76 stations have no ethanol at all but as noted it's about $.20 a gallon more.

Peter my 2hp Yamaha two stroke seems bullet proof in this regard too. I always turn off the fuel and run the little guy dry after each use. My 3.5hp Mercury 4 stroke performs as well.

Floyd I'm very sorry .... I was think'in Mercury and Yamaha ... not Honda.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"In Oregon they sell gas without ethanol but its expensive."

IN use (cars boats) the non ethanol will usually give 10% to 15% better mileage,

but the real $aving is in NOT having to repair items.
our testing at CARB indicated a ten percent decrease in fuel economy for most cars.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
In Washington it seems Union 76 stations have no ethanol at all but as noted it's about $.20 a gallon more.

Peter my 2hp Yamaha two stroke seems bullet proof in this regard too. I always turn off the fuel and run the little guy dry after each use. My 3.5hp Mercury 4 stroke performs as well.

Floyd I'm very sorry .... I was think'in Mercury and Yamaha ... not Honda.
yes the yams and mercs were the same but no longer according to Merc. Thats why when i found out i couldn't get a yam i decided to get a merc only to discover it was a completly different engine. Those new mercs are incredible.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #37
Guru

I bought my 60 Suzuki (2001 model) because I thought it was the best design and most advanced. I assumed they all were about as good as any other ... but perhaps not.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
I bought my 60 Suzuki (2001 model) because I thought it was the best design and most advanced. I assumed they all were about as good as any other ... but perhaps not.
They all have their good points and bad points. I think that gas hog 9.9 merc i just bought is a suzuki and merc wouldnt have put there name on it if they didnt make to quality engines. I gues it is a good motor has tons of thrust, in fact to much for me but on a larger vessel it may be ok. I'm thinking it would make a great get home trawler motor

MERCURY 9.9HP OUTBOARD MOTOR
Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #39
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
The 9.9 Merc you just bought is not built by Suzuki. I believe Tohatsu makes all the 30 hp mercs and below. I've had very good luck with Tohatsu motors. They usually are heavier than comparable motors of the same hp. A negative in the small engine market.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
The 9.9 Merc you just bought is not built by Suzuki. I believe Tohatsu makes all the 30 hp mercs and below. I've had very good luck with Tohatsu motors. They usually are heavier than comparable motors of the same hp. A negative in the small engine market.
could be. I'm in ca. now and the motor is in oregon or i would run out and check. The motor has great thrust just a gas hog compared to the 115 and150 merc.
I've worked the 9.9 hard in the last year