Honda Genset Housing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the options of the Honda generators, as I understand it, is that you can run two (or more) in parallel so as to have more output power available. While one might be a bit iffy to run my A/C, two should do it. Has anyone done this? If so, how well does it seem to work?

People I know of and many have written that it works very well for what it's supposed to do...I think some have even paralleled a 1000 with a 2000 because they already had one or the other.

People have also developed their own parallel cords because Honda OEM one seem to be or were pretty pricey.

Can't say it will work with your A/C but the method seems to work great up to the "continuous limit" of the added combo...which is less than the magic number written on the side. (2000 is only 1600 continuous and 1000 is only 900).

If your A/C is near even continuous rating and a hard starting compressor ...the momentary ability to overcome it may not be enough. Unfortunately what may work for one may not work for another demand.

Last edited:
There is a carry on A/C installed on my 79 Mainship just below the flybridge steering wheel it does fit well and out of the way, some one was thinking, you can buy the units for about $300 from the sailor exchange in Jacksonville. The Honda runs the A/C unit, battery charger and the fridge

I believe I was the one who asked for pictures of your enclosure. I had seen a home made enclosure locally using an over-sized Rubbermaid bin with sound deadening insulation and extended exhaust but I didn't quite like it. I may emulate your enclosure. Many thanks.

NoPlans--Years ago I used a plastic deck box purchased from Target as an enclosure. I cut the bottom out of the box, and installed aluminum side vents and an oversize vent on the exhaust end. Clearance between the Honda and the enclosure? About 2"-3" all around. No exhaust extension required. I also put a water resistant electrical housing on the opposite end for the power cord. With the bottom removed, the Honda could sit directly on the deck. The box had four 2" high legs which kept the sides of the box off the deck, and allowed ventilation openings around the bottom of all four sides. I put a rubber mat beneath the Honda to help absorb vibration. Worked wonderfully well for years. No matter how hard it rained, the little Honda was unaffected and purred along quite happily without overheating in the least. Cost of that box? About $25 at Target as I recall. It's definitely a viable option should you decide to go that way. Even if it doesn't work out for you, it would be a cheap experiment.

I remember on another forum, someone was customizing a Styrofoam cooler to hold his Honda generator. :rolleyes:

There's probably a reason Honda doesn't market an enclosure for its generators. I don't know what that is.

There's also probably a reason Honda doesn't market its generators to boaters.

US tort laws.

NoPlans--Years ago I used a plastic deck box purchased from Target as an enclosure. I cut the bottom out of the box, and installed aluminum side vents and an oversize vent on the exhaust end. Clearance between the Honda and the enclosure? About 2"-3" all around. No exhaust extension required. I also put a water resistant electrical housing on the opposite end for the power cord. With the bottom removed, the Honda could sit directly on the deck. The box had four 2" high legs which kept the sides of the box off the deck, and allowed ventilation openings around the bottom of all four sides. I put a rubber mat beneath the Honda to help absorb vibration. Worked wonderfully well for years. No matter how hard it rained, the little Honda was unaffected and purred along quite happily without overheating in the least. Cost of that box? About $25 at Target as I recall. It's definitely a viable option should you decide to go that way. Even if it doesn't work out for you, it would be a cheap experiment.

Here was my experiment with the plastic container.

Attachments

• Honda Tub.jpg
    Honda Tub.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 141
I know what US tort laws are, that's just a strange response to my post. It doesn't really say anything.

Actually Ron, IMO it's the only answer that makes any logical sense whatsoever. Honda obviously markets this product world wide for marine use as evidenced by the foreign language factory literature and official corporate logo on covers. Corporate trademarks are ferociously protected by corporate legal staff.

Why else would a global corporation not tap what's arguably the largest market for a product?

I know what US tort laws are, that's just a strange response to my post. It doesn't really say anything.

Honda manufacturers enclosures and markets the generators for marine use in other countries.

US tort law is the reason they don't market enclosures or marine use to Americans.

[youtube]qoINTDFosCY[/youtube]

Some where along in the discussion a reference was made to "Someone using a ice cooler", said with a smile or maybe another facial expression:rofl::lol: I had offered photos when available.
At any rate let me expound as best I can as I have old timers when it comes to posting photos. I used a 120 quart Igloo cooler as the lid will close over the Honda 2000. The exaust end has a 9 inch square cut out and a three inch deep galvanised frame was constructed to insert protecting the cooler insulation. On the inside against this frame, is a off the shelf air vent cover with a 8 inch high and about 13 inches wide screwed into the wall of the cooler. The Honda come next. Cut an hinged access door into the side to allow access to the on/off and pull cord. Then I installed a plywood panel in the slots provided in the cooler sides which is cut out in the center to expose the plugin panel. The remaining empty portion of the cooler is then storage during non use for the spare 2 gallon gas container, electrical cord and such. At the location of the drain plug, left open, holes were drilled below this drain plug to allow ALL of any moisture that might gather which to date has not.
The top of the cooler has a factory built in hinged access which now allows the fuel tank cap to be removed and the Honda refueled as required. The cooler sits atop of a 1/2 rubber pad. It is a successful experiment. From any distance, the appearance of "Just another cooler" belies the real use. The sound level is absolute quite compared to the original wood box that housed the unit.
Cost? $10 bucks for an old cooler, $50 bucks for all the sheet metal work, used hinge, and nothing more than a handful of screws.
And the satisfaction of admiring comments from other boaters leading me to believe there will be other similar efforts.:dance:

Regards- Al:flowers:

Actually Ron, IMO it's the only answer that makes any logical sense whatsoever. Honda obviously markets this product world wide for marine use as evidenced by the foreign language factory literature and official corporate logo on covers. Corporate trademarks are ferociously protected by corporate legal staff.

Why else would a global corporation not tap what's arguably the largest market for a product?

Because the product can be dangerous if used incorrectly and it doesn't meet the USA standards for marine use.

Because the product can be dangerous if used incorrectly and it doesn't meet the USA standards for marine use.

Sounds official. Happen to have a link to the "USA standards for marine use"? What agency is responsible for inspecting and enforcing those standards?

Nearly every aspect of what I do professionally is inspected by enforceable codes and standards, not recommendations.

Pretty sure the boat the little genny rides on can be dangerous if used incorrectly;)

Sounds official. Happen to have a link to the "USA standards for marine use"? What agency is responsible for inspecting and enforcing those standards?

Nearly every aspect of what I do professionally is inspected by enforceable codes and standards, not recommendations.

I Googled it and had a thousand hits in less than a second...

Of course the all said "WTF are you smoking?" :D

Yes, I'd be interested in references if I'm violating safety standards in operating my Honda generator on my boat. There are many safety notices and warnings in the eu2000i manual, but not a single reference against operating one on a boat or in a marine environment.

In fact, on this Honda website, they do suggest it is suitable for use when boating:

"How will you use the generator?
Typically, applications fall into one of 3 categories:

Home back up (i.e. emergency power)
Honda's EU and EM series generators are designed to work well with a transfer switch, enabling you to quickly and easily power essential home appliances.
Recreational use (RV, camping, tailgating, boating)
Our Super Quiet EU generators are quiet and easily portable, perfect for most recreational applications.
Industrial use (construction and rental)
Designed with the construction worker in mind, our durable EB generators meet OSHA requirements."

Sounds official, isn't official. The ABYC has standards for marine gensets that relate to grounding, fuel management, etc, but that's all I know of that would pertain to marine use of a genset.

Inspired by others experience, we purchased a Honda 2000 for our current trip to top off the batteries. One thing I noticed is that because the sound package is already pretty good, it doesn't take much to almost eliminate the residual sound. I am running it to top up the batteries rather than fire up the 20 kw genset, since every 24 hours we only need to replace around 6kw. I put it in what we call the stack house, which is aft of the pilot house and the location of the Kabola. You can hardly hear the thing from outside the boat, and it is certainly quieter than the Northern Lights inside. The only issue I have noticed is that it seems to run out of gas with gas still in it. Any one else experience this?

Delfin,

You might have a venting problem. I have a California fuel cap which has a vent on the top and meets CA emissions requirements. Not sure if you have one, but is the fuel cap vent open? Does your gas tank hiss when you remove your fuel cap to refuel?

Not sure where the fuel takeoff is..there's always a tiny bit left in mine as if it were an ounce or two sump....

Delfin,

You might have a venting problem. I have a California fuel cap which has a vent on the top and meets CA emissions requirements. Not sure if you have one, but is the fuel cap vent open? Does your gas tank hiss when you remove your fuel cap to refuel?
I'll check that. It has a lever that goes between Open and Shut, and it is open. It looks like a couple of pints, and I know they use a vacuum pump to lift the fuel, so perhaps I have a vacuum leak? I'll unscrew the cap a bit to eliminate the venting problem, but thanks.

Does this fuel exhaustion come after many hours of running time or within an hour of starting with a full tank? When I have forgotten to open the cap vent after refueling, it will die within a half hour or maybe less. I never really measured it. I'm usually too busy kicking myself in the backside for forgetting.

Maybe you can pour out the remaining fuel when it dies to see how much you had remaining in the tank.

Could be a faulty fuel cap/vent. I have about a dozen Honda generators of varying size/vintage, none of which have manual venting. All purchased in California if that makes a difference. I can promise every time one stops working it is due to a completely dry fuel tank, no evidence of residual fuel at all.

Fill the tank though and they fire first pull every time.

I had to unsubscibe to this thread. Its TMI for me.

Does this fuel exhaustion come after many hours of running time or within an hour of starting with a full tank? When I have forgotten to open the cap vent after refueling, it will die within a half hour or maybe less. I never really measured it. I'm usually too busy kicking myself in the backside for forgetting.

Maybe you can pour out the remaining fuel when it dies to see how much you had remaining in the tank.
No, it was after 3 hours or so of run time. I'll eliminate the vent issue, and maybe it is a defective cap. I'll let everyone know what, if anything I find, and thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom