Old 07-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Upon reading the Honda recommendations posted above it is safe to say I have consistently violated 7 of them since the first units where introduced to the American market. Especially the wet environment and uneven terrain ones.

Can only recall one incident ever putting one out of commission. I accidentally backed a 60,000 pound Kobelco excavator over a 3500 watt model, oops.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #22
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I accidentally backed a 60,000 pound Kobelco excavator over a 3500 watt model, oops.

I don't think any generator marine or not can handle that. LOL.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:51 AM   #23

City: St James City, Fl
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad 25' Trawler
My 2000 on the custom mount with the Honda marine cover.
Attached Thumbnails
gen2.jpg   gen5.JPG  
Nimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:56 AM   #24
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Very nice set up.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Madison Indiana
I have two of these stored aboard and commonly set one on the fore deck when at anchor so as to only consume 1 gallon every 6 hours instead of 6 to 9 gallons in the same time frame with the 9kw Beke. $1 per. hour -vs- $5 per. hour for keeping all systems active for small loads. What a bargain, not to mention the redundancy benefit

P.S. I bought the honda marine covers as well and I am having trouble remembering for sure but I think they came in honda sealed bags. Can anyone confirm ???
Doug Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:18 PM   #26
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
There are racers that mount the little Honda gennies inside job boxes and trailer tongue boxes all the time.Those things run all weekend,probably 15 to 20 hours,with nothing more than a small vent for the exhaust.I can't see Captain K's set up being that bad,especially after seeing that Honda spec enclosure.The Honda spec unit has the venting really close to the intake and exhaust preventing airflow problems.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:37 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: colorado springs
Vessel Name: LA RUCA
I love the forum, some great ideas
sabaru350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:55 AM   #28
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Doty View Post
I have two of these stored aboard and commonly set one on the fore deck when at anchor so as to only consume 1 gallon every 6 hours instead of 6 to 9 gallons in the same time frame with the 9kw Beke. $1 per. hour -vs- $5 per. hour for keeping all systems active for small loads. What a bargain, not to mention the redundancy benefit

P.S. I bought the honda marine covers as well and I am having trouble remembering for sure but I think they came in honda sealed bags. Can anyone confirm ???
Sounds exactly like the same philosophy I have about the little guys.

It will be a difficult decision to make if/when the big genset ever requires more money than it's worth and replacing it hits the table.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:40 AM   #29

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Adelaide
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble1 View Post
Actually Honda does make an accessory sound box for the 2000 but its only sold in Japan and it cost almost as much as the genny! Its is much smaller than the deck box unit shown here.
A link to the Honda/Japan page. Use Goggle to translate it.

Hondab”*“d‹@bƒIƒvƒVƒ‡ƒ“b–h‰¹ƒ{ƒbƒNƒX
Here is the google translated versionhttp://translate.google.com/translat...x%2F&sandbox=1

And, if you want to buy one.....Aida-Sangyo.Ltd | Rakuten Global Market: 怀Soundproofing box for exclusive use of Honda generator EU9iJN1 EU9iJN3(11633)/EU16iJN3(11634)

FYI, Rakuten is the Amazon of Japan, so it should be legit. Just over $1,000 with freight..... couple that with a honda EU2000 and you have a very good alternative to a below deck genset.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:37 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
One of the options of the Honda generators, as I understand it, is that you can run two (or more) in parallel so as to have more output power available. While one might be a bit iffy to run my A/C, two should do it. Has anyone done this? If so, how well does it seem to work?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:05 AM   #31
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
One of the options of the Honda generators, as I understand it, is that you can run two (or more) in parallel so as to have more output power available. While one might be a bit iffy to run my A/C, two should do it. Has anyone done this? If so, how well does it seem to work?
People I know of and many have written that it works very well for what it's supposed to do...I think some have even paralleled a 1000 with a 2000 because they already had one or the other.

People have also developed their own parallel cords because Honda OEM one seem to be or were pretty pricey.

Can't say it will work with your A/C but the method seems to work great up to the "continuous limit" of the added combo...which is less than the magic number written on the side. (2000 is only 1600 continuous and 1000 is only 900).

If your A/C is near even continuous rating and a hard starting compressor ...the momentary ability to overcome it may not be enough. Unfortunately what may work for one may not work for another demand.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: colorado springs
Vessel Name: LA RUCA
There is a carry on A/C installed on my 79 Mainship just below the flybridge steering wheel it does fit well and out of the way, some one was thinking, you can buy the units for about $300 from the sailor exchange in Jacksonville. The Honda runs the A/C unit, battery charger and the fridge
sabaru350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #33

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: No Plans
Vessel Model: 1965 TollyCraft Voyager
I believe I was the one who asked for pictures of your enclosure. I had seen a home made enclosure locally using an over-sized Rubbermaid bin with sound deadening insulation and extended exhaust but I didn't quite like it. I may emulate your enclosure. Many thanks.
MVNoPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #34

City: Foley, Alabama
Vessel Name: GITANA
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 47 Pilothouse
NoPlans--Years ago I used a plastic deck box purchased from Target as an enclosure. I cut the bottom out of the box, and installed aluminum side vents and an oversize vent on the exhaust end. Clearance between the Honda and the enclosure? About 2"-3" all around. No exhaust extension required. I also put a water resistant electrical housing on the opposite end for the power cord. With the bottom removed, the Honda could sit directly on the deck. The box had four 2" high legs which kept the sides of the box off the deck, and allowed ventilation openings around the bottom of all four sides. I put a rubber mat beneath the Honda to help absorb vibration. Worked wonderfully well for years. No matter how hard it rained, the little Honda was unaffected and purred along quite happily without overheating in the least. Cost of that box? About $25 at Target as I recall. It's definitely a viable option should you decide to go that way. Even if it doesn't work out for you, it would be a cheap experiment.
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #35
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I remember on another forum, someone was customizing a Styrofoam cooler to hold his Honda generator.

There's probably a reason Honda doesn't market an enclosure for its generators. I don't know what that is.

There's also probably a reason Honda doesn't market its generators to boaters.
US tort laws.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #36
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
US tort laws.
????????????
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
NoPlans--Years ago I used a plastic deck box purchased from Target as an enclosure. I cut the bottom out of the box, and installed aluminum side vents and an oversize vent on the exhaust end. Clearance between the Honda and the enclosure? About 2"-3" all around. No exhaust extension required. I also put a water resistant electrical housing on the opposite end for the power cord. With the bottom removed, the Honda could sit directly on the deck. The box had four 2" high legs which kept the sides of the box off the deck, and allowed ventilation openings around the bottom of all four sides. I put a rubber mat beneath the Honda to help absorb vibration. Worked wonderfully well for years. No matter how hard it rained, the little Honda was unaffected and purred along quite happily without overheating in the least. Cost of that box? About $25 at Target as I recall. It's definitely a viable option should you decide to go that way. Even if it doesn't work out for you, it would be a cheap experiment.
Here was my experiment with the plastic container.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Tub.jpg  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #38
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
????????????

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_tort_law

This may help. It's been a topic of much debate in this country for 20 or so years. Brought you things like "caution contents may be hot" warning labels on coffee cups and such.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #39
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
United States tort law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This may help. It's been a topic of much debate in this country for 20 or so years. Brought you things like "caution contents may be hot" warning labels on coffee cups and such.
I know what US tort laws are, that's just a strange response to my post. It doesn't really say anything.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #40
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
United States tort law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or "Do not use this lawnmower as a hedge trimmer"
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote