Old 11-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #81
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
You can spend a whole lot of time, money and effort to beat the economy of a Honda 2000 and still fail. I found that the simple solution was to buy the Honda 2000. It hasn't been without issue, but no regrets. EVERY Honda product I've ever owned has performed flawlessly including 2 Accords, one 2 hp OB and the generator (well, except for that broken connecting rod bolt). It's tough to improve upon that!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #82
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
Sabaru350, I would love to see photos of your Honda genset enclosure to see how you have it vented.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #83
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Kolive-

While waiting for Subaru350 to respond allow me to repost my remarks on this same application. I remain photo posting demented! Working on this as we type. It surely appears that Subaru350 has duplicated what I have created. Were you to do likewise I am sure you would be pleased.
Al

Prior post:

"Some where along in the discussion a reference was made to "Someone using a ice cooler", said with a smile or maybe another facial expression I had offered photos when available.
At any rate let me expound as best I can as I have old timers when it comes to posting photos. I used a 120 quart Igloo cooler as the lid will close over the Honda 2000. The exhaust end has a 9 inch square cut out and a three inch deep galvanized frame was constructed to insert protecting the cooler insulation.
On the inside against this frame, is a off the shelf air vent cover with a 8 inch high and about 13 inches wide screen screwed into the wall of the cooler.(purchased at hardware store. )
The Honda come next. Cut an hinged access door into the side to allow access to the on/off and pull cord.
Then I installed a plywood panel in the slots provided in the cooler sides which is cut out in the center to expose access to the Honda plugin panel.

The remaining empty portion of the cooler is then storage during non use for the spare 2 gallon gas container, electrical cord and such.
At the location of the cooler drain plug, left open, holes were drilled below this drain plug to allow ALL of any moisture that might gather which to date has not.

The cooler sits atop of a 1/2 rubber pad beneath and on the cabin top.

It is a successful experiment. From any distance, the appearance of it "Just another cooler" belies the real use.
The sound level is absolute quite compared to the original wood box that housed the unit.
Cost? $10 bucks for an old cooler, $50 bucks for all the sheet metal work, used hinge, and nothing more than a handful of screws.

The satisfaction of admiring comments from other boaters leading me to believe there will be other similar efforts.

Regards- Al"
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #84
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
Al,

Thank you for taking the time to repost this description. That helps me a lot. Sounds like something I will take a serious look at for my application. I have the Honda already and locating it in a safe enclosure sounds like the thing to do.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #85
Veteran Member

City: colorado springs
Vessel Name: LA RUCA
Sorry for not able to post those pictures, I am in Colorado until the 9th of November, off to GA.
sabaru350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #86
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Kolive, Another item of interest. I used a standard drop cord of heavy construction adapted to the normal marine electrical female end. I pull that back into the storage end of the cooler with the end outside wrapped in a simple bread loaf plastic bag or such. Simple to just yard it out and insert for operation. KISS principle in practice!!
Went looking for the On/Off swivel valve discussed in the video on drawing fuel from another container into the tank of Honda. As there is a two gallon supply jug in the storage section it makes sense to marry up to it over attempting to refill the Honda tank from a spout.
I'd call that a real solution to an aux gen set which is not a fixed unit within a boat.
Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote