Old 07-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #61
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
My cap looks like this:

That's mine too. I bet that is what it is because it sputtered and died, then started, then sputtered and died.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #62
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
My cap looks like this:

Does yours have multiple little holes on the inside for venting?The one I had,had those little holes.I would blow it out with the air gun and pressure turned down to 30psi.A can of compressed air or maybe WD-40 could work and be easily stowed.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #63
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I'll have to look at yours next time I'm aboard FlyWright. None of mine have that little lever.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #64
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Does yours have multiple little holes on the inside for venting?The one I had,had those little holes.I would blow it out with the air gun and pressure turned down to 30psi.A can of compressed air or maybe WD-40 could work and be easily stowed.
Yes, mine has those holes, but this unit is brand new. Since that whole cap has to do with California emissions requirement, and since everything mandated from California has the net effect of reducing the usability and functionality of all it touches, one has to assume the cap may be the culprit. At the risk of bringing on cataclysmic global warming I'm going to crack it a bit to supplement the venting and see what happens.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #65
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Yes, mine has those holes, but this unit is brand new. Since that whole cap has to do with California emissions requirement, and since everything mandated from California has the net effect of reducing the usability and functionality of all it touches, one has to assume the cap may be the culprit. At the risk of bringing on cataclysmic global warming I'm going to crack it a bit to supplement the venting and see what happens.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #66
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
You got that right!

Here's a video that shows the anatomy of the vented cap and how to modify it for extended fuel tank use.

It looks pretty simple to disassemble and reassemble.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #67

City: Alaska
Vessel Name: Nimbus
Vessel Model: Californian
That's what mine looks like too.
superdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #68
Guru

Quote:
You got that right!

Here's a video that shows the anatomy of the vented cap and how to modify it for extended fuel tank use.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #69
Grand Vizier

Quote:
You got that right!

Very cool, and very doable. Youtube is amazing. I gave myself a coronary bypass with only a Swiss Army knife and a pair vicegrips while watching one of these.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #70
Veteran Member

City: colorado springs
Vessel Name: LA RUCA
This sounds what I am looking for, could you send me a few pictures. I live in Colorado and the boat in Brunswick GA. I be looking for 120 quart cooler
sabaru350@yahoo.com
sabaru350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #71
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Excellent vid.
WoW! I quoted FlyWright and made a comment "Excellent vid",but my comment didn't show up.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #72
Veteran Member

City: League City, TX
Vessel Model: Californian 30
Well I hate to ask because I feel like I'm kicking a hornet's nest, but...

What really IS the difference between these portable generators and marine generators? Isn't, for instance, a marine gas generator mounted and running inside your engine compartment theoretically just as dangerous as a portable generator mounted on the deck or in some custom enclosure?

Assuming the exhaust hoses are sealed well and run off the boat somehow, AND you have CO detectors inside the boat, is it just the "marine" label that's the real difference?
ERJpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #73
Veteran Member

I have installed the Honda 2000 on the fly bridge inside a 150 quart cooler, I got the idea from this forum, no noise I run the generator about 2 hours a night when I am out, so a gallon of gas 3 days. It was a lot cheaper than 6k, so no CO problems and no noise and it is out of the way along with the fuel for the dingy and the Honda. This forum is a great place for good ideas.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #74
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Sabaru350-

Glad you found this solution as favorable as you have. So simple, so easy, and inexpensive. I am going to add the vent connection to allow for a satellite fuel source in the two gallon supply that is currently in the generator cooler. The room is there and I believe a "pick up" tube can be constructed to connect to the line going back to the Honda cap. Will investigate. Would be nice to be equal to some degree to those folks with engine room gen sets fed by off the main fuel tanks (Gas or Diesel as it applies).20 hours of potential generation without fussing with gas cans seems worth the effort.

Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #75

City: Astoria
Vessel Name: Florence A
Vessel Model: 47' Sutton
It makes me think about a nice little Kubota diesel genset mounted outside and up top. I bet I can figure out how to pump fuel up to it from the main tank.
Guess I would put an overflow in back to the main tank. I mean I would never forget to turn that pump off, of course, but...
BryanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:00 AM   #76
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERJpilot View Post
Well I hate to ask because I feel like I'm kicking a hornet's nest, but...

What really IS the difference between these portable generators and marine generators? Isn't, for instance, a marine gas generator mounted and running inside your engine compartment theoretically just as dangerous as a portable generator mounted on the deck or in some custom enclosure?

Assuming the exhaust hoses are sealed well and run off the boat somehow, AND you have CO detectors inside the boat, is it just the "marine" label that's the real difference?
No, there are big differences, particularly in the fuel and electrical systems. There are strict requirements for both. Basically, the fuel system must be designed not to leak gasoline or gasoline vapors and the electrical system (both on the engine and the generator itself) must be designed to prevent sparks from igniting gasoline vapors.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #77
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanF View Post
It makes me think about a nice little Kubota diesel genset mounted outside and up top. I bet I can figure out how to pump fuel up to it from the main tank.
Guess I would put an overflow in back to the main tank. I mean I would never forget to turn that pump off, of course, but...
Just put the pump on a timer switch.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #78
Veteran Member

how much does it weigh?????
Old 11-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #79

City: Astoria
Vessel Name: Florence A
Vessel Model: 47' Sutton
The kubota genset that is here is probably a couple hundred pounds. And while I may not want that much weight up that high I will have to think about it.
And in terms of the timer switch - for me just one more thing to go wrong.
With an overflow back to the tank I have fewer failure points.
I saw a diesel stove tank set up like that from the engine return line. when the tank was full the rest went back to the main tank.
BryanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #80
Veteran Member

the Honda weighs about 50 lbs, I found the 150 igloo cooler leaves enough rooms to start it and shut it off while in the cooler. both vents are on the ends, I do have holes in the bottom just incase of water that might get in.