Old 07-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #41
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I know what US tort laws are, that's just a strange response to my post. It doesn't really say anything.

Actually Ron, IMO it's the only answer that makes any logical sense whatsoever. Honda obviously markets this product world wide for marine use as evidenced by the foreign language factory literature and official corporate logo on covers. Corporate trademarks are ferociously protected by corporate legal staff.

Why else would a global corporation not tap what's arguably the largest market for a product?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #42
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:

I know what US tort laws are, that's just a strange response to my post. It doesn't really say anything.
Honda manufacturers enclosures and markets the generators for marine use in other countries.

US tort law is the reason they don't market enclosures or marine use to Americans.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #43
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
United States tort law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This may help. It's been a topic of much debate in this country for 20 or so years. Brought you things like "caution contents may be hot" warning labels on coffee cups and such.
Sadly true. Honda would not avoid an obvious application for their product without a reason. You've provided it.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:26 AM   #44
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Or "Do not use this lawnmower as a hedge trimmer"

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:30 AM   #45
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Some where along in the discussion a reference was made to "Someone using a ice cooler", said with a smile or maybe another facial expression I had offered photos when available.
At any rate let me expound as best I can as I have old timers when it comes to posting photos. I used a 120 quart Igloo cooler as the lid will close over the Honda 2000. The exaust end has a 9 inch square cut out and a three inch deep galvanised frame was constructed to insert protecting the cooler insulation. On the inside against this frame, is a off the shelf air vent cover with a 8 inch high and about 13 inches wide screwed into the wall of the cooler. The Honda come next. Cut an hinged access door into the side to allow access to the on/off and pull cord. Then I installed a plywood panel in the slots provided in the cooler sides which is cut out in the center to expose the plugin panel. The remaining empty portion of the cooler is then storage during non use for the spare 2 gallon gas container, electrical cord and such. At the location of the drain plug, left open, holes were drilled below this drain plug to allow ALL of any moisture that might gather which to date has not.
The top of the cooler has a factory built in hinged access which now allows the fuel tank cap to be removed and the Honda refueled as required. The cooler sits atop of a 1/2 rubber pad. It is a successful experiment. From any distance, the appearance of "Just another cooler" belies the real use. The sound level is absolute quite compared to the original wood box that housed the unit.
Cost? $10 bucks for an old cooler, $50 bucks for all the sheet metal work, used hinge, and nothing more than a handful of screws.
And the satisfaction of admiring comments from other boaters leading me to believe there will be other similar efforts.

Regards- Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #46
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Actually Ron, IMO it's the only answer that makes any logical sense whatsoever. Honda obviously markets this product world wide for marine use as evidenced by the foreign language factory literature and official corporate logo on covers. Corporate trademarks are ferociously protected by corporate legal staff.

Why else would a global corporation not tap what's arguably the largest market for a product?
Because the product can be dangerous if used incorrectly and it doesn't meet the USA standards for marine use.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Because the product can be dangerous if used incorrectly and it doesn't meet the USA standards for marine use.

Sounds official. Happen to have a link to the "USA standards for marine use"? What agency is responsible for inspecting and enforcing those standards?

Nearly every aspect of what I do professionally is inspected by enforceable codes and standards, not recommendations.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 07-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #48

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: No Plans
Vessel Model: 1965 TollyCraft Voyager
Pretty sure the boat the little genny rides on can be dangerous if used incorrectly
MVNoPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #49
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Sounds official. Happen to have a link to the "USA standards for marine use"? What agency is responsible for inspecting and enforcing those standards?

Nearly every aspect of what I do professionally is inspected by enforceable codes and standards, not recommendations.
I Googled it and had a thousand hits in less than a second...

Of course the all said "WTF are you smoking?"
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #50
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Yes, I'd be interested in references if I'm violating safety standards in operating my Honda generator on my boat. There are many safety notices and warnings in the eu2000i manual, but not a single reference against operating one on a boat or in a marine environment.

In fact, on this Honda website, they do suggest it is suitable for use when boating:

"How will you use the generator?
Typically, applications fall into one of 3 categories:

Home back up (i.e. emergency power)
Honda's EU and EM series generators are designed to work well with a transfer switch, enabling you to quickly and easily power essential home appliances.
Recreational use (RV, camping, tailgating, boating)
Our Super Quiet EU generators are quiet and easily portable, perfect for most recreational applications.
Industrial use (construction and rental)
Designed with the construction worker in mind, our durable EB generators meet OSHA requirements."

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:55 AM   #51

City: Alaska
Vessel Name: Nimbus
Vessel Model: Californian
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Here was my experiment with the plastic container.

This is a common thing to see here in SE Alaska...
superdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #52
Grand Vizier

Quote:

Sounds official, isn't official. The ABYC has standards for marine gensets that relate to grounding, fuel management, etc, but that's all I know of that would pertain to marine use of a genset.

Inspired by others experience, we purchased a Honda 2000 for our current trip to top off the batteries. One thing I noticed is that because the sound package is already pretty good, it doesn't take much to almost eliminate the residual sound. I am running it to top up the batteries rather than fire up the 20 kw genset, since every 24 hours we only need to replace around 6kw. I put it in what we call the stack house, which is aft of the pilot house and the location of the Kabola. You can hardly hear the thing from outside the boat, and it is certainly quieter than the Northern Lights inside. The only issue I have noticed is that it seems to run out of gas with gas still in it. Any one else experience this?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #53
TF Site Team

Delfin,

You might have a venting problem. I have a California fuel cap which has a vent on the top and meets CA emissions requirements. Not sure if you have one, but is the fuel cap vent open? Does your gas tank hiss when you remove your fuel cap to refuel?

Old 07-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #54
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Not sure where the fuel takeoff is..there's always a tiny bit left in mine as if it were an ounce or two sump....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #55
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Delfin,

You might have a venting problem. I have a California fuel cap which has a vent on the top and meets CA emissions requirements. Not sure if you have one, but is the fuel cap vent open? Does your gas tank hiss when you remove your fuel cap to refuel?
I'll check that. It has a lever that goes between Open and Shut, and it is open. It looks like a couple of pints, and I know they use a vacuum pump to lift the fuel, so perhaps I have a vacuum leak? I'll unscrew the cap a bit to eliminate the venting problem, but thanks.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #56
TF Site Team

Does this fuel exhaustion come after many hours of running time or within an hour of starting with a full tank? When I have forgotten to open the cap vent after refueling, it will die within a half hour or maybe less. I never really measured it. I'm usually too busy kicking myself in the backside for forgetting.

Maybe you can pour out the remaining fuel when it dies to see how much you had remaining in the tank.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #57
Guru

Could be a faulty fuel cap/vent. I have about a dozen Honda generators of varying size/vintage, none of which have manual venting. All purchased in California if that makes a difference. I can promise every time one stops working it is due to a completely dry fuel tank, no evidence of residual fuel at all.

Fill the tank though and they fire first pull every time.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #58
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
I had to unsubscibe to this thread. Its TMI for me.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #59
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Does this fuel exhaustion come after many hours of running time or within an hour of starting with a full tank? When I have forgotten to open the cap vent after refueling, it will die within a half hour or maybe less. I never really measured it. I'm usually too busy kicking myself in the backside for forgetting.

Maybe you can pour out the remaining fuel when it dies to see how much you had remaining in the tank.
No, it was after 3 hours or so of run time. I'll eliminate the vent issue, and maybe it is a defective cap. I'll let everyone know what, if anything I find, and thanks all.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #60
TF Site Team

My cap looks like this: