Old 10-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #1

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Honda Generator 3000i - Noisemaker?

I'm a generator fanatic. My boat generator runs pretty much the whole time I'm aboard, whether the boat is in the water on on the trailer. This isn't a popular practice with other boaters due to the loud incessant droning. I made a video to help them understand why I love my generator...click on the video at the end of this blog entry.

One More Time Around: 3000i

jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
A generator running on incessantly can really be annoying. I understand why they're necessary for things like all-electric galleys, heating water, charging batteries, and air conditioning. But outside of the air-conditioning thing I am baffled--- as are most other boaters up here--- by the few who seem to feel their generator has to be running constantly.

If I can't hear the generator or smell the exhaust, fine, run it 24/7. Unfortunately there are not many generator installations like that and I have seen some near-violent encounters on the docks or on the buoys in the State Marine Parks up here over someone running a generator non-stop.

We have a 7.5kw Onan and we use it on a cruise when we need it. On days we don't run the main engines we generally run the generator about an hour to heat water for the whole day and throw a charge back in the batteries. Other than that we have no need for it. And it's a fairly quiet installation, at least from the outside, but I would still never want to be running it for hours at a time. We'd get fed up with the sound let alone everyone nearby.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
A generator running on incessantly can really be annoying. I understand why they're necessary for things like all-electric galleys, heating water, charging batteries, and air conditioning. But outside of the air-conditioning thing I am baffled--- as are most other boaters up here--- by the few who seem to feel their generator has to be running constantly.

If I can't hear the generator or smell the exhaust, fine, run it 24/7. Unfortunately there are not many generator installations like that and I have seen some near-violent encounters on the docks or on the buoys in the State Marine Parks up here over someone running a generator non-stop.

We have a 7.5kw Onan and we use it on a cruise when we need it. On days we don't run the main engines we generally run the generator about an hour to heat water for the whole day and throw a charge back in the batteries. Other than that we have no need for it. And it's a fairly quiet installation, at least from the outside, but I would still never want to be running it for hours at a time. We'd get fed up with the sound let alone everyone nearby.
Ditto
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Guru

We run our Onan 6.5 an hour or so am and pm when cruising, mainly for the eutectics recharge, and battery top up (though solar pretty much covers that). I don`t want or need it 24/7, other boats don`t, and the underload would glaze the bores.
Your Honda is relatively quiet, you look to have it further soundproofed, you run a/c and I recall your wife has MS, some illnesses mess with the body`s self regulating "thermostat".
Tell us in words why you need/want it 24/7? BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #5

Your distaste for running your generators is well founded...they're expensive, noisy, they vibrate, they stink, they have complicated systems and they are high maintenance. I was a member of your club for quite a while, until I discovered a cheap, quiet, simple, low maintenance generator that doesn't stink. Even then I was pressured into considering expensive inverter systems, with high capacity engine alternators, amperage usage meters and a bilge full of batteries because of the stigma that goes with not sparing any expense to reduce generator runtime.

Then it dawned on me. Running the generator is the easiest, most economical and simplest way of being comfortable aboard, whether it's for air conditioning, heat, microwave, hot water, coffee making or just keeping the batteries up. Consequently I never hesitate to fire it up and let it run for even the slightest reason. However, I continue to applaud your efforts to reduce generator usage because I too don't like the diesel exhaust smell and the noise when I'm anchored near you...and if you're anchored (or parked) near me and can somehow hear or smell my generator, just let me know and I'll gladly turn it off or relocate. Would you do the same?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I'm a good neighbor. Have no genset or whizzing wind generator, nor flapping halyards.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
if you're anchored (or parked) near me and can somehow hear or smell my generator, just let me know and I'll gladly turn it off or relocate. Would you do the same?
We would and have. We've not relocated because we're never that desperate to run the generator. But there have been times when we've run it at a dock and before we started it we told the people on boats downwind of us (if there were any) that we were going to run it for an hour or less and if the noise or exhaust bothered them let us know and we'd shut it down. Most people say fine, no problem. On a few occasions someone would say no problem but then after it had been running for awhile came and said the exhaust smell was getting to them (nobody's ever complained about noise). So we shut it down right away.

With not a lot of exceptions it's not been the slow-turning diesel generators that have been the most annoying. Yes, sometimes someone has a particularly loud exhaust system but for the most part the low burble of a well-muffled generator is not obnoxious. The exhaust can be, of course.

But the worst are the high-speed Hondas and the like. It's like having a chain saw or trail bike running next door. Even when they are in an enclosure--- and most people don't bother with that but simply set them on the foredeck or the dock--- that high-pitched buzz gets old really fast even when it's not particularly loud, and it can really diminish the whole reason one came to the marine park or the anchorage in the first place.

The aforementioned confrontations we've witnessed were, if memory serves, all with people running Honda-type generators for hours on end. In one particularly memorable case after a boater refused to shut his Honda down after several hours of running it and even after a warning by the park ranger a particularly irate boater simply walked over and kicked the thing over the bullrail into the water. He got a round of applause from every boat at the dock.

I don't advocate doing that although we were among the boaters who were glad that he did. But I can certainly understand the fellow's frustration.

We don't need air conditioning up here but for perhaps a few days in July and August so I venture to say 99 percent of the recreational boats here don't have it, big yachts excepted. If we boated in an area where air conditioning was important I would certainly understand the need for a generator running all the time. We'd most likely be one of those boats as both my wife and I despise heat.

But up here it seems the people running their generators for hours on end are doing so mainly for entertainment--- TVs mostly--- or they simply need it now and then to make a cup of coffee or whatever so figure it's easier just to leave it on the whole time instead of starting it when it's needed and stopping it when it's not. It's pretty hard for people in an anchorage or park at one of our more remote islands to have much tolerance for someone running a generator--- particularly the buzzing Honda-types--- for hours on end simply so the kids can play video games or watch a movie or the wife can re-heat her tea in the microwave or whatever.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:37 AM   #8

City: WA
Quote:
if you're anchored (or parked) near me and can somehow hear or smell my generator, just let me know and I'll gladly turn it off or relocate.
I think this is great (and rare) attitude. Do you put out a sign or something so your neighbors know that is how you feel? If I were to approach a neighbor and suggest the anchorage would be more pleasant without their generator, I would expect a completely different response.

We came from the sailing world and are not used to the convenience of a generator. We actually don't have one. Not that that was our choice, just that our boat did not have one when we bought her.

We have converted all our lighting to LED and don't use much power beyond the refrigerators when we are anchored. The stove is propane. We have a little over 1600 amp hours of batteries in the house bank and can go four days pretty easily with reasonable use. We rarely anchor in the same place for more than two days, so power has never been an issue.

I have no problem with generators as long as it is not early in the morning or late in the evening. 9:00-5:00 ought to be fine (in my mind). The rest of the time, it just seems to me like it ought to be quiet time in cove.
Rusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:43 AM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Lewis View Post
... don't use much power beyond the refrigerators when we are anchored. The stove is propane. ... We rarely anchor in the same place for more than two days, so power has never been an issue.
Same here.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:16 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Lewis View Post
I think this is great (and rare) attitude. Do you put out a sign or something so your neighbors know that is how you feel? If I were to approach a neighbor and suggest the anchorage would be more pleasant without their generator, I would expect a completely different response.
So would I. Perhaps things are changing, there is no place for aggression in genset use. BK
I have no problem with generators as long as it is not early in the morning or late in the evening. 9:00-5:00 ought to be fine (in my mind). The rest of the time, it just seems to me like it ought to be quiet time in cove.
We usually run the genset earlier or later than 9-5,satisfying eutectic needs.
Recently I apologized to the adjacent moored boat,saying the genset would stop soon. They said they were unaware it was running. People onboard often don`t detect it running.
I have not, but fitting an gas and water separator makes them virtually silent, most noise is exhaust splash.
And Rusty, LEDs definitely rock. BruceK
Old 10-31-2012, 03:21 AM   #11
Guru

Apologies Rusty,the middle para of the post 10 "quote" above above is not quote at all,it is part of my response, misquote was not intended. BruceK
Old 10-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #12
FF
Guru

Having a noisemaker aboard that can hardly be heard by other boats is fairly easy and cheap.

The Aqualift style muffler , IF it is large enough (about 12in x12in min) works well for a noisemaker of about 100CI .

A larger noisemaker would require a larger diameter lift chamber.

The noise in the boat? Tough.

The newest small (2-3KW) gas units have inverters and will happily operate at variable speeds .

RV 6KW units are water cooled and can be propane fueled for less stench.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
............... In one particularly memorable case after a boater refused to shut his Honda down after several hours of running it and even after a warning by the park ranger a particularly irate boater simply walked over and kicked the thing over the bullrail into the water. He got a round of applause from every boat at the dock..............
Well, that's certainly an adult response.

He's lucky he didn't get shot. Or at least arrested.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #14
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Jeffnick

I have no idea what you are trying to communicate.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Jeffnick

I have no idea what you are trying to communicate.

My interest in generators started because of my wife's MS...very narrow temperature comfort range. We were very careful to only use it when absolutely necessary because of the general distaste for generators. Sometimes we didn't run it for fear of irritating those around us; we just endured the discomfort.

With the advent if the Honda quiet series, we realized that we weren't contributing to the noisemaker syndrome, but were still complying with the requirement to minimize use.

So I broke with tradition and put in place a system that can be run anytime, anywhere without the fear of offending anyone, and it's simple, cheap and unobtrusive, so I thought it might be worth sharing.

The idea of me running my generator 24/7 may still offend you, but it's operation won't.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
To me, the biggest risk of running a Honda 24/7 would be the possibility of CO getting into the boat if the wind does not cooperate. We have a little Honda 1000 that keeps our fridge (120 only) running while underway, and even though it's on the lower deck all the way aft, there have been a couple of occasions where the "station wagon effect" has backdrafted and set off the CO alarm in the aft cabin. No one's back there when we're under way, but I'd never keep it running at anchor or over night. Not enough juice to run the A/C anyway.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I'm a good neighbor. Have no genset or whizzing wind generator, nor flapping halyards.
Go ahead and run a generator, Mark. With all that partying going on, no one will ever hear it.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Well, that's certainly an adult response.

He's lucky he didn't get shot. Or at least arrested.
Nothing happened at all. The owner of the generator started his boat and left. Somebody else fished the generator out and set it on the dock. Don't know what happened after that.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Jeffnick

I have boated regularly on Lake Powell since 1967, when the lake was filling. The temperatures there are as one would expect in the desert SW - hot and dry. If I had a family member whose life depended upon a 24/7 Honda I'd avoid the vast expanses of Lake Powell and stay at the AC hotels or be hooked onto shore power. Or better yet, I'd not go there.

Tragically, many deaths have occurred at Lake Powell due to CO ingestion. The 24/7 genset risks are real with signs posted all over the place. Lawsuits have been filed by grief stricken family members citing all parties including the Park Service. A little common sense, on the part of boaters who inanely insist on 24/7 gensets, would help a lot If MS dictates a constant temperature, relying upon a genset in the wild seems iffy.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #20
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
EPIC ad placement!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	misc.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	117.0 KB