Old 09-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Honda 2000 Enclosure

We use a Honda 2000 for supplemental power. We have always had it set on the rear deck and covered with a tarp. This did not really give adequate protection so I had been planning to build an enclosure for it for some time, but just got around to it last week.

The Honda has always been quiet but the enclosure made it even quieter

Materials:
Two 2' X 4' pieces of 1/2" Starboard from Home Depot. $108.00
Stainless piano hinge from local hardware store. $ 36.00
Various SS screws. $ 20.00
Two vents from West Marine. $16.00
Total cost $180.00
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6310.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	45002

Name:	IMG_6312.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	45003

Name:	IMG_6313.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	45004

Name:	IMG_6319.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	45005

Name:	IMG_6326.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	45006

Name:	IMG_6324.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	45007

Name:	IMG_6325.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	45008

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Good Job!!
Did the same using a 120 quart Igloo cooler. Honda fits at one end with end cut out just like yours using common air vent cover. Split the igloo with a plywood partition and use the second section for spare fuel storage and the cord, made up of a heavy duty extension cord with the correct marine socket for the boat end, stored. Really quite and not noticeable other than 'Just another cooler" appearance.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:22 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
That looks great, Mike! A cushion on the top can provide another cockpit seat.

Do you have a video recording of the eu2000i sound level with the unit outside and then inside the box? That would be a cool comparison.

Nice work!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
looks great does it stay cool

great looking job

I agree with Fw cushion on top
Old 09-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
looks great does it stay cool

great looking job

I agree with Fw cushion on top
I suppose if you had an over heating issue you could just open one of the doors while running. Albeit it would be louder.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
Guru

FlyWright, I am trying to download a video from my phone that shows the difference. Hopefully soon.

SiestaKey and mbevins, I guess it is too soon to see if it affects the cooling but I don't think it will. Honda makes an enclosure for the 2000 and it is smaller and more constricted than mine (not sold in the US). Mine has zero restriction on the exhaust and cooling air that is blown out from the same place as the exhaust. There is also more than adequate intake air with the two vents on the other end. I placed the intake vents on the enclosure where the intake vents on the generator are located.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:02 PM   #7
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Nice! both the one you constructed and Als' cooler version.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:33 PM   #8
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Well done. I'll have to make one. I always put my Honda on the swim platform and it isn't protected. I worry about CO. That enclosure would make me feel a lot better about it.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:11 PM   #9
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Trust me, the cooling is not an issue!! Quite is awsome in our cooler and I suspect in the OP' box. As long as the end is open allowing air in and exhaust out everything is cool.
Al-Ketchikan
Old 09-28-2015, 09:30 AM   #10
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Very nice! Now I want to make one.

Question: Did you put anything under it to reduce transmitting vibrations to the deck? It seems that would make it even quieter. Not that these are loud to begin with.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Do you have a video recording of the eu2000i sound level with the unit outside and then inside the box? That would be a cool comparison.

Nice work!
You should be able to find a free cell phone app for a sound meter
Let's you collect hard data re the sound reduction vs a subjective est via video.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #12
Guru

Update:

We have been using the box for awhile now and I can definitely say there is no overheating issues at all. It runs very cool. Probably cooler since it is not exposed to the sun now. When I open the box the generator is cool to the touch.

CaptTom,
"Question: Did you put anything under it to reduce transmitting vibrations to the deck? It seems that would make it even quieter. Not that these are loud to begin with."

Yes I did, I mounted the box on rubber and I put rubber inside the box for it to sit on.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Taunton, Mass.
Vessel Name: Rise & Shine
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Mike:

I hate to rain on your parade, but I guarantee you've severely reduced the quantity of cooling air to your machine. Those units are not built to maintain any additional amount of restriction to airflow, and even though you're convinced that the louvers you've mounted on the intake end are big enough, I guarantee the airflow through them is way less than Honda intended.

I own & run a generator service company and I've seen this a bunch of times. Yes, you've improved the noise signature, but remember for most amateur engineers, what keeps the noise in also keeps the airflow in.

You'll get away with it for a while, especially if you operate mostly at reduced power levels...

I also use a small generator (mine is a Yamaha 1000 watt) on the swim platform, and I've built a small hood that keeps the rain off of it, but it's open 360 degrees all sides to keep it nice and cool.

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but it's harder to pull off than you think.

Just my two cents' worth (that I've spent 45 years learning, most of it the hard way...)

J.S.

Experience is what you're left with, just after you needed it.
Driftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftless View Post
Just my two cents' worth (that I've spent 45 years learning, most of it the hard way...)
Personally, I take your word for it, and will keep that in mind for my own Yamaha. Those 45 years of learning do count a lot, so far as I am concerned. We have other members with a lot of experience that are willing to share their knowledge with us from time to time, and they are invaluable.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftless View Post
Mike:

I hate to rain on your parade, but I guarantee you've severely reduced the quantity of cooling air to your machine. Those units are not built to maintain any additional amount of restriction to airflow, and even though you're convinced that the louvers you've mounted on the intake end are big enough, I guarantee the airflow through them is way less than Honda intended.

I own & run a generator service company and I've seen this a bunch of times. Yes, you've improved the noise signature, but remember for most amateur engineers, what keeps the noise in also keeps the airflow in.

You'll get away with it for a while, especially if you operate mostly at reduced power levels...

I also use a small generator (mine is a Yamaha 1000 watt) on the swim platform, and I've built a small hood that keeps the rain off of it, but it's open 360 degrees all sides to keep it nice and cool.

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but it's harder to pull off than you think.

J.S.

Experience is what you're left with, just after you needed it.
Hi John,
Thanks for your comments, but I am afraid we will have to agree to disagree. I ran the Honda for 5 hours today so I could run the water maker. It ran a little above the echo level but not flat out by any means. When I shut it off the unit was cool to the touch. The intake vents that I installed are at least 5 times the size of the intake vents on the generator itself. I guarantee that the enclosure that I built is way more ventilated than the one Honda offers. I do appreciate experience and what it brings to the table, but looking at pictures is not the same as taking measurements and engineering (even amateur).

Old 10-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Backyard engineering can be either an utter failure or ther best thing since sliced bread....or somewhere in between.

Not all backyard engineers are created equal nor are their creations.

While I agree that certain critical elements are required for some projects...sometimes it is obvious and attained or not as critical as the "factory engineers" would like to think.

Many improvements have been documented/suggested on these forums...some bad, some good, and some spectacularly better than what we bought at the store.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
If it was such a bad idea, Honda wouldn't make and sell a version of their own. It's not sold here, though.

Here's the link to the video.

Hondab”*“d‹@bƒIƒvƒVƒ‡ƒ“b–h‰ƒ{ƒbƒNƒX

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:51 PM   #18
Al
Guru

Thanks Flywright, once again your prompt response with factual support on a issue becomes apparent. I was thinking of your solution as I was reading down the post. While I live in a cooler area and perhaps at a disadvantage to comment due to our climatic conditions, our enclosed Honda 2000 in a 120 Quart Igloo cooler reflects perfectly cool running conditions after several hours at a sitting.

Thanks,
Al-Ketchikan