Old 09-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Ben
Guru

City: Clayton, NC
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
Help! I've bled air somewhere FL-135

Changed fuel filters, bled incorrectly. Now re-doing. Pressurized until it squirts out the bleed screws, turning and turning, but no start. Battery wearing down. Almost sounded like it would start, but battery tired now.

What am I missing? Suggestions?

I'm moving on to sanding while battery recharges.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Are these Lemans?? Did you also bleed the fuel lines at the injectors?
Old 09-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Guru

City: Here
As Edelweiss said.... try the injector furthest from the injection pump.

But before you do that make sure that the O-ring on your new fuel filter is seated properly. Depending on the type of filter there may be 2-3 O-rings involved.
boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Ben
Guru

I need to check manual for the proper location and procedure.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Ben
Guru

Good and bad -

Good - motor started!

Bad - motor quit.

Went to the injector pump bleed. Lots of air came out. Motor started. Ran a little. Wash-Rinse-Repeat. Did this about 4 times. Had to leave because of dinner plans.

What an education.

Not done yet because motor won't stay running. Got to repeat from inlet fuel filter, outlet, and injector manifold.

This is the first time I changed filters myself. Just got to keep at it. Learning, but one day has been spent on this.

Whew. Thanks everyone for your help. Hopefully good news tomorrow from the rookie.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Guru

If you're still getting air out of the injector pump bleeders after you have bleed it once and sucessfully started the engine, then you have an air leak. Probably at the fuel filters you just put on.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
You don't have to bleed the injector pump and in most cases the injectors. The FL 135 injector pump is fitted with a self purge device. If air is the issue, it's before the injector pump.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
If it started, then stopped, I suspect it's pulling air. First place I'd look is the area I worked, in this case, the secondary fuel filter. Did you replace ALL the Orings? Are they all seated correctly? Double check that, then rebleed the system. You'll find it.

Many of us have gone through this same issue. It's there and it's simple. We just overlooked it. Keep us posted.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
And in the future, it is probably not a good idea to crank your motor until the battery dies. That can cause a lot of heat and fry something...not to mention your starter and wires leading to it.

Also, you likely have an aqualift type muffler. At some point this muffler will fill with water and then start backfeeding into the engine!!! They usually even carry a placard stating such...on newer boats anyway.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Ben
Guru

After several crank ups and stall outs, bleeding secondary filters and injector pump, a mis-seated o-ring makes the most sense. Have started and stalled out the motor multiple times. It's sucking air most likely at the filters I installed for the first time. Makes the most sense. Time for o-ring reseating.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Also check that the old o-ring hasn't stuck in place on your housing. If you add a second o-ring it sometimes doesn't seal, and allows an entry point for air.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
Ben
Guru

Can I say F*** on this forum? Probably not.

Can't keep it started. Two days trying.

Boat ran fine until I decided to change the fuel filters. It's seeming to get worse. Yesterday had it going for about a five minute run. Then stop.

Could it be I've messed up the filters? I reseated the o-rings, now worse. This has been the
Most reliable engine since I've had this boat. Until I touched it.

Things I've tried:
1. Bleeding both filters - about 50 times.
2. Reseating the o-rings - twice. Now is worse.
3. Bleeding at the injector pump. About 15 times.
4. Checking/filling racor. Twice.
5.. Pressurizing with the lift pump. Several times.

Not tried yet-
1. Scrap filters and replace again.
2. Mechanic.
3. Taking a class on it.

Is there a wall I can run into full speed with my head down?

Taking a break. Deciding on scrap/redo filters...

Probably will get the spin on kit for this model if can find. Soooo frustrated.

It must be a leak in the secondary filters.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
Ben
Guru

Time to call a pro and pay tuition for this class.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2457670180.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	23283
Old 09-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
May or may not be directly applicable to your situation but I have long suggested having on board, and in line if possible, a 12 volt fuel pump such as the Walbro FRB-13. When it comes to priming a Lehman 135 these pumps can work miracles.

In one situation where I clearly had an air leak I was able to use the Walbro pump to pressurize the fuel line and overcome the leak until I got back to a marina for repairs.

Using ball valves I now have the pump permanently mounted so I can switch it on in a minute.

I am sure by now you are tired of the finger operated pump so give some thought to the electric equivalent.

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Ben...is one or both old racors? The older ones need a rubber spacer in them for the newer filters to work...not sure if that would cause the engine to shut down...but worth looking at....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #16
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
May or may not be directly applicable to your situation but I have long suggested having on board, and in line if possible, a 12 volt fuel pump such as the Walbro FRB-13. When it comes to priming a Lehman 135 these pumps can work miracles.

I am sure by now you are tired of the finger operated pump so give some thought to the electric equivalent.

Marty
I have something like this just before the Racors. I probably should have turned it on. On the engine, I've done oil and coolant. Fuel always worried me for this reason.

I'll have a mechanic walk me through what I'm missing and get some tips. I have 3 Racors 2 for the engine, one for the genset.

Fuel scared me so long that I was glad to do the filter change and learn of this kind of issue. But I spent a weekend on it, and now I'm ready to get it done and know what I missed.

I don't think I (hope not anyway) will have to pull injectors. No response gives me that indication. I think I'm sucking in air at the secondary filters. Just not sure how.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
I helped a guy a couple month's ago with same problem on Lehman . He changed filters himself for the first time ( he usually let's his mechanic change filters ). We went back to the racors and he had an oring that was not seated right. We re-bleed the system and still would not start. We had to bleed the line at the injector pump .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
I helped a guy a couple month's ago with same problem on Lehman . He changed filters himself for the first time ( he usually let's his mechanic change filters ). We went back to the racors and he had an oring that was not seated right. We re-bleed the system and still would not start. We had to bleed the line at the injector pump .
Yes, I bled the line at the injector pump as well. I might need to engage to the electric pump and see if that totally pressurizes. I am suspecting in some way (though this is not visible, because I've gone over it a few times) that somehow my secondary filters are allowing air in. It's possible I may install fresh filters or add another ring, but... not sure how this would help and not hurt...

I let my mechanic do it last two times. But like your friend, I'd like to be self-sufficient in the long run and know my boat.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #19
Guru

[QUOTE=Ben;181908] It's possible I may install fresh filters or add another ring, but... not sure how this would help and not hurt... QUOTE]

DO NOT ADD A SECOND O RING or gasket. That would be a guarenteed leak. Pressurize your system as you suggested and look for fuel or air leaks. If you can't find it, at this point it sounds to me like you need to have someone qualified examine your work and find the problem.

LB
Old 09-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
Ben
Guru

[QUOTE=Edelweiss;181911]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
It's possible I may install fresh filters or add another ring, but... not sure how this would help and not hurt... QUOTE]

DO NOT ADD A SECOND O RING or gasket. That would be a guarenteed leak. Pressurize your system as you suggested and look for fuel or air leaks. If you can't find it, at this point it sounds to me like you need to have someone qualified examine your work and find the problem.

LB
I wasn't leaning toward it. I felt it would add an extra element of variability that I do not need. I was thinking in fact to order the spin-on adapters - which I believe due to the reduced connections, would be more reliable. So I assume...

I'm not happy to be unsuccessful, but this fuel thing is my scariest obstacle in my engine learning to date. So I am happy to deal with it and learn the pitfalls. Just wish I would get past them soon.

Once past this, I hope to re-plumb my cooling with new hoses and ream my heat exchanger, but first things first.