Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #61
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
(Bob--see PM)
__________________
Advertisement

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #62
Guru
 
Tom.B's Avatar
 
City: Cary, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,154
Hmmmmm. That is weird. I would have thought to replace the two filters with a SINGLE spin-on.
__________________

__________________
2000 Navigator 4200 Classic
(NOT a trawler)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #63
Guru
 
Forkliftt's Avatar
 
City: Biloxi Mississippi
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,433
Bob
You may want to call Mike Loisel at Carter Chambers, (225) 677-8811, and tell him you want the adapter kits for the CAV fuel filters. As I recall, they stock it and could offer some savings.
__________________
Steve Point Cadet/ Biloxi, Mississippi USA
*Present 42 twin 135 Lehmans
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #64
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,920
not to be a jerk...well maybe a little...

why nt just can those goofy filters and go with a Racor 500 or 120 spin on????

I think I'm sorry now I cheaped out and went the Racor 120 route instead of a 500 just so I would have the same stock of filter types...accessible just abut anywhere...

I guess I did because if you keep clean fuel and change primaries a lot...your secondary engine mounted should only need changing every couple of years....even if you choose to do it more often.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #65
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,531
Folks that wish to do an actual upgrade should take a look at a modern truck filter.

These allow the filter state to ne evaluated at a glance , as the filter is upside down compared to an ancient filter.

The higher the fuel is in the bowl , the more plugged the filter.

After a filter change a threaded plug is removed from the TOP of the filter and fuel is added. Fast and painless .
Products

Diesel Fuel Processors

The Fuel Pro/Diesel Pro product lines include DAVCO's patented "Seeing is Believing" Technology.
Models include the Fuel Pro 382, 482 and 483, Diesel Pro 243, Biodiesel engine filtration system Fuel Pro 384, Sea Pro and Industrial Pro. These products save labor hours and the associated costs. By looking through the clear cover for fuel contaminants and filter condition, operators and maintenance personnel can see when to replace the fuel filter element. These products all feature superb water separation and have various heating options to enhance cold weather operation.
More information about Diesel Fuel filtration products
Product Documents can be found here
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #66
Ben
Guru
 
Ben's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 693
Daughter informs me that my spin-on fuel filter conversions arrived in Raleigh last night. Bringing them today I hope if her 19-yo attention span permits it.

Now I've got to find the right filters to mate to them in Wilmington (NC). anyone know a good marine hardware place in town that is not Worst Marine?
__________________
..................................
Ben

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #67
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Daughter informs me that my spin-on fuel filter conversions arrived in Raleigh last night. Bringing them today I hope if her 19-yo attention span permits it.

Now I've got to find the right filters to mate to them in Wilmington (NC). anyone know a good marine hardware place in town that is not Worst Marine?
If talking West Marine right off the road that goes over to Wrightsville Beach..there's a good hardware store with lot's of marine related stuff in it across the side street from the Grocery store that's in that shopping center.

Not sure about filters though...might want to call around if you have the filter numbers to places like advance auto which is up on RT 17 I think towards town.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #68
Guru
 
Tom.B's Avatar
 
City: Cary, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,154
Ben, you should go find the Baldwin's for that rig. Roy's Marine in Grantsboro stocks them all. And while it won't help you today, you would be well served to seek them out or "run up" and get a pair.

As a point of advice, there are a TON of heavy equipment repair places in and around Wilmington. Give a few a call and find one with lots of parts in stock. They will certainly have diesel secondary filters. Take your spin-on rig too so you can make sure you have the right diameter and thread pitch.

Wilmington Heavy equipment | Heavy equipment in Wilmington, NC - YP.com

Let us know what you find.
__________________
2000 Navigator 4200 Classic
(NOT a trawler)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #69
Guru
 
Tom.B's Avatar
 
City: Cary, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,154
Balwin Dealers in Wilmington, NC:

Distributor Search Results 28451

MOTION INDUSTRIES 3822 US HWY 421 STE 120 WILMINGTON NC 28401 910-343-1311
FLEETPRIDE-188 3234 US 421 NORTH WILMINGTON NC 28401 910-762-8761
W W GRAINGER INC 505 COVIL AVE WILMINGTON NC 28403 910-762-3088
STONE TRUCK PARTS 716 NORTH NORWOOD ST WALLACE NC 28466 910-498-8460
TRUCKPRO - FAYETTEVILLE 357 DUNN ROAD FAYETTEVILLE NC 28312 910-483-5107
MOTION INDUSTRIES 1903 GODWIN AVE LUMBERTON NC 28359 910-738-4221
W W GRAINGER INC 712 SEABOARD ST MYRTLE BEACH SC 29577 843-626-8093
CCT INC 100 SANFORD ST ST PAULS NC 28384 910-865-3002
W W GRAINGER INC 2915 GILLESPIE ST FAYETTEVILLE NC 28306 910-868-2376
BUDDY'S TRUCK & TRAILER 407 LAKE CITY HWY JOHNSONVILLE SC 29555 843-386-3736
__________________
2000 Navigator 4200 Classic
(NOT a trawler)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #70
Ben
Guru
 
Ben's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Balwin Dealers in Wilmington, NC:

Distributor Search Results 28451

MOTION INDUSTRIES 3822 US HWY 421 STE 120 WILMINGTON NC 28401 910-343-1311
FLEETPRIDE-188 3234 US 421 NORTH WILMINGTON NC 28401 910-762-8761
W W GRAINGER INC 505 COVIL AVE WILMINGTON NC 28403 910-762-3088
STONE TRUCK PARTS 716 NORTH NORWOOD ST WALLACE NC 28466 910-498-8460
Tom, you're so helpful - can you run down here and pick me up a few?

Seriously, thanks, I'll look them up. I need a good Wilmington parts outlet.

Thanks again!
__________________
..................................
Ben

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #71
Dauntless Award
 
Wxx3's Avatar
 
City: New York, NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
not to be a jerk...well maybe a little...

why nt just can those goofy filters and go with a Racor 500 or 120 spin on????

I think I'm sorry now I cheaped out and went the Racor 120 route instead of a 500 just so I would have the same stock of filter types...accessible just abut anywhere...

I guess I did because if you keep clean fuel and change primaries a lot...your secondary engine mounted should only need changing every couple of years....even if you choose to do it more often.
What size are you using for your primary filters, 2 microns or 10?
Richard
__________________
M/Y Dauntless, New York
a Kadey Krogen 42 Currently https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Blog: https://dauntlessatsea.com
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #72
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
What size are you using for your primary filters, 2 microns or 10?
Richard
2 micron....this is the second boat I've done it with and only once has to shutdown for a primary filter change...typical...first rough day in awhile and way down on fuel....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #73
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Ben--- Sent you the Baldwin filter number.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #74
Ben
Guru
 
Ben's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
2 micron....this is the second boat I've done it with and only once has to shutdown for a primary filter change...typical...first rough day in awhile and way down on fuel....
My PO had 10 micron in the primary but 2 micron in the filter inventory. What effects - if any - would I see to go to 2 micron?

Thanks
__________________
..................................
Ben

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #75
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
My PO had 10 micron in the primary but 2 micron in the filter inventory. What effects - if any - would I see to go to 2 micron?

Thanks
Your secondary filters last forever...so less need to change....but you may get into a situation where the 2 micron primaries are plugging fast and you need to get someplace.

I see the scenario..just never encountered it or know of anyone who did that had the right solution.

If you had a couple huge filters with say 30 micron...then another set of 10's then your secondary engine mounted ones might still be ok if you really stirred up some skank one trip...but usually whether the boat has 30, 10 or 2 micron...when you get into the stirring up crud stage...till you get rid of it...you'll be plugging up filters and shutting engine(s) down until the gunk is cleared.

So my philosophy is based on that I have only once in a career of pleasure and commercial captaining where I had to shut down an engine while transiting to clean crud filled filters. Based on those thousands of hours of running and getting clean fuel...I'm sticking with 2 micron on both primary and secondary filters.

The engine is only burning 2gph so the terrorists that think I'm restricting my engine can forget the doomsday theories....however when I start running outside US well travelled waters...I will upgrade my fuel system dramatically.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #76
Guru
 
Tom.B's Avatar
 
City: Cary, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
My PO had 10 micron in the primary but 2 micron in the filter inventory. What effects - if any - would I see to go to 2 micron?

Thanks
Uh oh... Here we go again.
__________________
2000 Navigator 4200 Classic
(NOT a trawler)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #77
Ben
Guru
 
Ben's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Uh oh... Here we go again.
A single data point does not a statistical study make...
__________________
..................................
Ben

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #78
Dauntless Award
 
Wxx3's Avatar
 
City: New York, NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Your secondary filters last forever...so less need to change....but you may get into a situation where the 2 micron primaries are plugging fast and you need to get someplace.

I see the scenario..just never encountered it or know of anyone who did that had the right solution.

If you had a couple huge filters with say 30 micron...then another set of 10's then your secondary engine mounted ones might still be ok if you really stirred up some skank one trip...but usually whether the boat has 30, 10 or 2 micron...when you get into the stirring up crud stage...till you get rid of it...you'll be plugging up filters and shutting engine(s) down until the gunk is cleared.

So my philosophy is based on that I have only once in a career of pleasure and commercial captaining where I had to shut down an engine while transiting to clean crud filled filters. Based on those thousands of hours of running and getting clean fuel...I'm sticking with 2 micron on both primary and secondary filters.

The engine is only burning 2gph so the terrorists that think I'm restricting my engine can forget the doomsday theories....however when I start running outside US well travelled waters...I will upgrade my fuel system dramatically.
Umm, thanks.

I had bought 2 micron and I had changed the filter after 200 hours, and then I had an engine shutdown after a small number of hours. Then I realized that the PO had 10 micron spares.

I called Bob and Brian and they suggested 10 micron is preferred on primary. So, I am using 10 micron on primary and 2 micron on the engine filters.

Psneeld How often do you change your engine secondaries?
richard
__________________
M/Y Dauntless, New York
a Kadey Krogen 42 Currently https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Blog: https://dauntlessatsea.com
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #79
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Umm, thanks.

I had bought 2 micron and I had changed the filter after 200 hours, and then I had an engine shutdown after a small number of hours. Then I realized that the PO had 10 micron spares.

I called Bob and Brian and they suggested 10 micron is preferred on primary. So, I am using 10 micron on primary and 2 micron on the engine filters.

Psneeld How often do you change your engine secondaries?
richard
I'll probably go 2 years, maybe 3 after I see a lot more about my boat. On my sportfish with 3208s I went 2 years but I'm not that familiar with the Lehman yet as far as signs of clogging filters and it's a single...so I'll probably go 2 years which will be about 700-800 hrs on the engine at 2 gal per hr.

Part of it is also what the primary racors look like...If I'm changing those at 150 -200 hours or so and they look clean...then 2 years on the secondary...if really dirty and changing them more then ever year or 500 hours on the secondary.

With new, see through poly and very small fuel tanks...I hope to keep the fuel very clean or at least notice it when it's bad.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #80
Dauntless Award
 
Wxx3's Avatar
 
City: New York, NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,313
Thanks.
I think I will go back to the 2 micron, as to lengthen the engine filter change. Also, I am polishing the fuel.

Going to New Bedford next week to get 600 gals.. Best price around $3.40
__________________

__________________
M/Y Dauntless, New York
a Kadey Krogen 42 Currently https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Blog: https://dauntlessatsea.com
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012