Help identify this leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BDofMSP

Guru
Vessel Name
Gopher Broke
Vessel Make
Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Not the best photo but hoping for help figuring out where this oil is coming from.
This is a 6BTA 370 (2003). The view is aft on the engine, tucked behind the aftercooler, and I'm hoping the location of the filter and hose seen in the picture will help.

Thoughts? Thanks.
BD

Attachments

• 8AB4ED01-D52F-4115-AAD1-923C7C1A8265.jpeg
    8AB4ED01-D52F-4115-AAD1-923C7C1A8265.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 137
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for fixing the picture!

Sorry, not much to go on...

I use a cheap WiFi borescope/ endoscope to track down problems in tight spots like that... around corners, up airbox exhaust ports, in tanks, drains, etc.

Scope pairs with my iPhone ( or Android) with an app and allows you to snap pictures or make video... has LED lighting around camera lens. Smaller size than a TeleFlex cable... works great and cost less than $20 on eBay.

The cheap one that I use is by Depstech.

Good luck

Maybe put some dye in the oil. I bought a kit on Amazon to track down a coolant leak. It is made by mastercool and was about $60.

BD,
Not sure, but your leak could be caused by "blow by". If it is, it might be reduced by ensuring that you only fill your oil pan to the minimum level which is 13 quarts (after prefilling the new oil filter). Filling above this level, especially if your engine has the "shallower" oil pan like mine, can lead to "frothing" and more "blow by". Your breather hose line is near the area you are showing. This line connects back into the Walker Airsep (air filter).

For more info on this and to see a better CCV system check out sbmar.com where there is tons of free info on your engine.
Hope that helps,

I cannot see the possible locations for the leak but I can tell you how to trace a leak. If you could wash the area of the leak with a oil cutting cleaner such as GUNK engine foam or Simple Green at full concentrate then let dry. Now purchase a can of K2r Spotlifter. This product can be found in most Hardware stores. Forget what it’s original purpose is. When sprayed on a surface it has a high flash point fluid similar too Dry Cleaning fluid and powder. The fluid flashes off and the powder remains, in most cases stuck too the surface it was applied too. Now you have a powder covered surface that will show even the slightest trail of oil. The beautiful part of this whole exercise is after you find your weep point water rinses the powder away for easy clean up. So clean, apply, run, identify, rinse.

Thanks to all for the tips. I should have been more clear in my ask. This leak is on a boat that I was looking at, not my own. I was hoping that someone would have a response like "based on the fact that it's coming from above the filter and behind the aftercooler, the only thing it could be is a (head gasket, turbo leak, etc)". I'm not familiar enough with that engine to just know that. Based on what it was, I would have factored that into an offer price or a "pass" decision.

Anyway, there's enough else wrong with this boat that I'm going to pass. But the education on tracing leaks has been helpful and much appreciated!

Thanks
BD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom