Old 10-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Help! Hydrolock!

Well I've really done it this time. I was reflushing my engine this time with BB, and everything was going fine but I did something stupid and must have filled the water muffler up. When I tired to crank it locked.

I removed the injectors and sure enough there is water in the cylinders. I cranked it over by hand and sucked the water out of each cylinder with a shop vac. Probably still some drops in there.

Now what? Did I destroy it? Should I put some oil or diesel in the cylinder?

The water was in there about an hour before I could get it out. It was actually fresh water.

😡

cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
Guru

Took the exhaust hose off the mixing elbow to suck the water out of the muffler and found this also. It's still running a bit hot. Well, it's not running at all now actually. 😓

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1445982132.777362.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	45927

Old 10-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #3
Guru

Hydrolock. What now?

Well I've really done it this time. I was reflushing my engine this time with BB, and everything was going fine but I did something stupid and must have filled the water muffler up. When I tired to crank it locked.

I removed the injectors and sure enough there is water in the cylinders. I cranked it over by hand and sucked the water out of each cylinder with a shop vac. Probably still some drops in there.

Now what? Did I destroy it? Should I put some oil or diesel in the cylinder?

Do I attempt to reinstall injectors and run it?

Also found a bad exhaust hose when I was sucking the water out of the muffler. Maybe that's causing some of my overheat?

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1445985147.622134.jpg
Views:	88
ID:	45929
Old 10-27-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Cardude... I'm a big believer in replacing hoses (all of them) when one goes. Or, as with Seaweed, upon purchase. Two of the visually fine hoses on Beast were collapsed inside.

As for the water -- wait. One of the experts will be here soon. (at least it's fresh)

And I'd push fuel through (you do have an electronic fuel pump inline, eh?)

The electronic versions ($50 or less) will also allow you to bleed the injectors painlessly. Fuel will be pulled through by the mechanical pump on your engine -- doesn't hurt a thing, just handy to have.

I'd pump/push fuel though
and dump oil/replace same

And wait for the experts to get here!

A fresh water rinse is a good idea. I will be setting that up on Seaweed soon. It does make a difference in longevity (empirical evidence versus hard data!)

Good luck.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:47 PM   #5
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Put a little oil in each cylinder and crank it over to spread the oil around the cylinders, put a rag over the injector holes to catch the oil that'll shoot out. Replace the injectors, bleed the fuel system and start the engine run it under load around 1200 rpm for a couple of hours. Have everything you need to drain the oil and when you shut it down drain the crankcase. Change the filter fill with new oil and you should be good to go. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 10-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
Guru

Help! Hydrolock!

Ok. Thanks.

Is there a special way to bleed the lines at the injectors once I get everything put back together?

Never done this before.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #7
Guru

I'am not familiar with what injection system Yanmar uses, if it's a Nippon Denso like my Hino it most likely has a manual pump. Crack the nuts on the high pressure lines at the injectors and operate the pump, when you get fuel thru a line tighten that nut, do this till all injectors have fuel and all nuts tight. With a little cranking it should fire up.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:36 PM   #8
Guru

City: kemah
spray (or pour) some seafoam (or oil) into the cylinders that flooded, drench them. The last thing you want is rust in the cylinders.

drench them in the sense of flooding them as you spin the motor over. Get everything coated with oil until you can fire it all back up.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #9
Guru

Got it back together and it running for now. Guess I didn't kill it?
Old 10-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #10
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. cd. If she's running now, you'll be fine. Just keep an eye on the oil for milkiness. I would be VERY surprised if you did any damage at all.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #11
Guru

Thanks RT!

I will change the oil. It doesn't look milky but when I turned it over with the injectors out it sprayed water everywhere and got on top of the head.

The silver lining with all this flailing around is I think I might have found the problem with my overheat at higher RPM.

I took the exhaust hose off to suck all the water out of the muffler and found this. Hose is collapsed inside. Won't that cause an overheat?

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1445992154.103205.jpg
Views:	88
ID:	45936
Old 10-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #12

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
engine hose

Yep that will doit,water can't get out ,so it backs up into the head .,into the cyninders. If you have a lift muffler , close sea cock when turning over engine and you don't want to start it, so you are not filling the muffler with water as it needs exhaust to pump water out . If engine doesn't turn over quickly or is hard starting this can happen. Put some marvel mystery oil in the oil to help with the moisture after a couple of oil/filter changes. Good luck.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:11 PM   #13
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Yup.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #14
Guru

I worked with a mechanic who lost a eye while cranking over a Cat while looking down a injector hole. The precup seal had failed and coolant leaked into the cylinder, the coolant squirted out with enough pressure to destroy his eyeball. Always be careful cranking a engine after putting oil in cylinders, I cover them with shop towels.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:30 PM   #15
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Cardude, except for myself, you've got the darndest learning curve I ever saw. Keep going and you'll out grow us all. For what it's worth, water injection does have its place in diesel performance, but that's in tractor-pulling, not boating.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:36 PM   #16
Guru

Help! Hydrolock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I worked with a mechanic who lost a eye while cranking over a Cat while looking down a injector hole. The precup seal had failed and coolant leaked into the cylinder, the coolant squirted out with enough pressure to destroy his eyeball. Always be careful cranking a engine after putting oil in cylinders, I cover them with shop towels.

Yikes!

When I first spun it over after pulling the injectors water absolutely shot everywhere. I was really surprised how aggressively it came out. Drenched my little engine compartment. On the ceiling. Everywhere. I was glad I got the water out, but damn. 😂

After putting the oil in I did learn to put a rag over the hole before cranking.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:39 PM   #17
Guru

Help! Hydrolock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Cardude, except for myself, you've got the darndest learning curve I ever saw. Keep going and you'll out learn us all. For what it's worth, us old tractor-pullers use water-injection on purpose. Quite possibly, the first time may have been by accident.

Sigh. Yes. Steep learning curve. Seems more like a vertical line than a sloping curve to me.

I guess I am learning, but I sure tend to screw up quite a bit in the process.

I remember water injection back in the old days on gas engines to try to stop detonation.

I sure hope no water got into the turbo. Wouldn't that possibly wreck the bearings?
Old 10-27-2015, 11:45 PM   #18
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
CD

Why were you doing BB flush in the first place?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:00 AM   #19
Guru

Help! Hydrolock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
CD

Why were you doing BB flush in the first place?

Well, what happened was......

I've been having some nagging overheating issues over about 2400 RPM. Did a Rydlyme flush a few weeks back and got lots of crud out. The temps seemed better when I first ran it but then they started creeping up again the next time I ran it. So I'm like, WTF???

I bought the BB mainly to do the genny and AC flush, but didn't get much out of those so figured I would run it through the main also since the solution was still "active" and I thought maybe BB would get something the Rydlyme didn't. I didn't get much fizzing action at all with the BB so I said the hell with it.

Now I did the Rydlyme flush with no problem a few weeks ago, but I guess I was distracted today. After I was done flushing with the BB I flushed the engine out with fresh water, but for some reason I had hooked the exhaust elbow loop of my "bilge pump bucket system" flush back to the elbow, turned the pump on, and basically filled the entire exhaust with water. It was just a total bonehead move on my part, and I can't even blame it on drinking beer this time. It didn't dawn on me what I had done until I tried to start the main and it was locked up.

Took me about 5 hours to get the water out and running again.

However, the silver lining is I found a collapsed exhaust hose near the exhaust elbow, so maybe that's been part of my nagging overheat problem. I'm hoping so anyway. Need to get some exhaust hose now and see what else I can screw up.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:04 AM   #20
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
thanks for sharing.

Looks like from beginning to end, it only cost you a few hours. Would have taken me weeks as I dithered around.

But the lesson here is also why do things the engine wasn't meant to do, like flushing it. You are just increasing the chance of having something bad happen as you found out.

Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote