Old 10-29-2015, 07:53 AM   #41
FF
Guru

All diesels with waterlift mufflers will lock if cranked and not started.

One solution is to close the sea cock, I prefer to install a hose and valve to the drain on the muffler.

Its required to winterize , should that ever be required.

Accidentally leaving the muffler drain open is no big deal , you will hear it and the bilge pump will easily keep up.
Far easier to close a valve than do 2 oil changes.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #42
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
All diesels with waterlift mufflers will lock if cranked and not started.

One solution is to close the sea cock, I prefer to install a hose and valve to the drain on the muffler.

Its required to winterize , should that ever be required.

Accidentally leaving the muffler drain open is no big deal , you will hear it and the bilge pump will easily keep up.
Far easier to close a valve than do 2 oil changes.

Ok thanks.

I like the drain idea but don't want to have to go down there to try to install a drain. The muffler is in a bad place and I'm tired of contorting myself.

After removing and reinstalling the injectors I did close the engine seacock thinking I might have to crank for awhile, bleed lines, etc., but to my surprise it started right up. I figured those injector lines would have some air in them but I guess not. I think I read somewhere that this JH Yanmar was "self bleeding", however that works.

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #43
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Ok thanks.

I like the drain idea but don't want to have to go down there to try to install a drain. The muffler is in a bad place and I'm tired of contorting myself.

After removing and reinstalling the injectors I did close the engine seacock thinking I might have to crank for awhile, bleed lines, etc., but to my surprise it started right up. I figured those injector lines would have some air in them but I guess not. I think I read somewhere that this JH Yanmar was "self bleeding", however that works.
Yes, Yanmars generally do not need bleeding. However it usually does take a bit of cranking. Glad everything is on the upswing. And your 75% redneck remark had me in stitches. I totally understand!!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #44
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
CD,

I love this whole thread. Your boating adventures are amazing, and have spawned some great discussions, brainstorming and elegant 'redneck' solutions.

Pretty soon, you will have done so much with so little, that you will be qualified to do just about anything with nothing . . . .
Old 10-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #45
FF
Guru

"I like the drain idea but don't want to have to go down there to try to install a drain. The muffler is in a bad place and I'm tired of contorting myself."

YES , but since you are hooking the drain to a hose , at least it can be led to a rational spot, you only have to install it Once!

FF is offline   Reply With Quote