Old 05-19-2009, 08:08 AM   #1

Heating oil as for boat fuel?

Saw something at this or another forum I visit about a guy using heating oil in his Detroit or Cummings to power his boat.I think it was on the Great Lakes.Does it work?Is it safe and cheeeeeper than reg fuel?Robby in Mobile

Robby and Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
FF
Guru

Sure it works , in many locations dyed (off road diesel) and heating oil are delivered by the same truck, from the same yard tank.

The downside is both off road and esp if it is from different storage tank, is house fuel is usually not as clean as a better grade.

Since most boats have good rational filtration , only the filter will know.

The cetane rating of house heating oil is below the rating for much diesel, however most big diesels burn it with out making a bit more diesel rattle.

The new horror is the super low sulfur fuel,it gives trucks with very new complex electronic injection about 5% to 7% less fuel mileage.

On out 8v71 we went from 9.2 to 8.9 with the new junk.

On our VW diesel Rabbit , there IS more diesel knock on house fuel, but its 40c-60c a gal cheaper and at onlt 45mpg , we retired folks need to conserve!

-- Edited by FF on Tuesday 19th of May 2009 10:03:59 AM

FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
RE: Heating oil as for boat fuel?

Quote:
BornSailor2 wrote:

*I purchase 500 gals a delivery so what I do is add a gal of kerosene to thin the fuel out.*

No need to buy obscenely overpriced kerosene for that. Number 1 heating oil is already lighter than*#2 diesel*and if you are in the south your heating oil is just high sulfur diesel fuel anyway.

Over the next few years home heating oil will be ultra low sulfur diesel in most states.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:21 AM   #4
FF
Guru

"No need to buy obscenely overpriced kerosene for that."

Since the gov will be happy with the denser #2 as well as #1.

Remember the heavier the fuel is per gal the more BTU in the gal.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

Quote:
BornSailor2 wrote:

I believe no. 2 fuel oil is home heating.* No. 1 fuel is Kerosene.* Diesel is Diesel but most fuel oil companies add red dye to No. 2 fuel because of the tax difference.* This is the information I recieved.

BK

Kerosene is kerosene. sometimes jet fuel is kerosene, sometimes home heating oil is #1 diesel, sometimes it is #2* diesel. Sometimes Stove Oil is jet fuel, sometimes it is kerosene. Soon home heating oil will be ultra low sulfur diesel, until then it might be high sulfur diesel that can't be sold as motor fuel.

Adding a gallon of kerosene to "thin out" whatever is passing as heating oil that day to burn as diesel fuel is a waste of time and money. Paying a huge premium for deodorized or perfumed froo froo lamp oil to mix with diesel fuel is just plain stupid.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:21 AM   #6
FF
Guru

Adding a gallon of kerosene to "thin out" whatever is passing as heating oil that day to burn as diesel fuel is a waste of time and money.

True enough ,

But if anyone is still cooking with a Primus , kerosene stove, as we prefer in our ocean boat , the addition of a quart of lube oil to a few gallons of kerosene will lube the kerosene enough to be used as emergency diesel.

Kero is our fuel of choice when out of the USA as propane nay be hard to find , fill, or dirty in many places.

5Gal of kero is enough for a grand cook , with oven for 6 months .

FF
Old 05-22-2009, 05:54 AM   #7
Scraping Paint

Quote:
FF wrote:

*the addition of a quart of lube oil to a few gallons of kerosene will lube the kerosene enough to be used as emergency diesel.

5Gal of kero is enough for a grand cook , with oven for 6 months .
Fair enough for cooking but even then I would*fill a can*with Jet-A before paying outrageous prices for kerosene.*

And I wouldn't (never did - and I have used a lot of it) hesitate to use Jet-A in the fuel tank without adding anything to increase the lubricity. It can be considered a very good alternative and I would drop the word emergency since*that makes it sound like there is a lot of risk in using it and*it just ain't so.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:07 AM   #8
FF
Guru

"Fair enough for cooking but even then I would fill a can with Jet-A before paying outrageous prices for kerosene."

Yes, the local FBO is a great place!

Today it has the ONLY gas that will last over a month of storage , since (so far) its Alky free by law.!

FF
Old 05-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

RickB, You can/may disagree and state your view point, but dont call people or what they believe/do is stupid.

Since we installed the Webasto, I was buying home heating oil which is pumped on LakeUnion, the last 3 years we been burning the new low/ultra low sulfur diesel which burns clean in the Wesbasto.* Each year I add been adding water absorbtion additives and in the spring Miracle snake oil to burn in the 671. That is what I was told by my Webasto/diesel mechanics. I am concerned that the Westasto burns clean so we do not get complains from my neighbors and/or marina as we are year around live aboards and also concern about our 30 year old fuel tanks.***

Each year, I have the Webasto serviced to make sure we do not have trouble in the winter, with very little carbon build up and diesel soot/smell, running 24/7 for 10 mnoths/year.* Also each spring I have my diesel mechanic check the engine for peace of mind, and they all say my engines are the cleanest, and best conditioned engines for thier hours/years they have worked on.* I trust my mechanics and I listen to FF as I have read his posts for 10+ years.* *

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Sunday 24th of May 2009 09:59:12 AM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Sunday 24th of May 2009 10:28:58 AM

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote