Old 10-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #1

City: Baltimore Md
Vessel Name: Graceful
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
Heat Exchanger

Possible problem, added coolant to the engine which was a little low. Brought it to the top,yellow coolant and ran the engine for 30-40 minutes. Checked the coolant level again and noticed it was full but with what looked like sea water. Could it be the heat exchanger is shot ? Engine has about 2500 hours on it and looks like it might be the original. Only had the boat for a couple of months and just pulled the zinc out of the exchanger and to my surprise no zinc at all. Any advice would help.
Thanks
gonesailing13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Coolant colors are deceptive. Hard to tell much from color. Take zincs out of heat exchanger and pressure test whole cooling system. If it is leaking, whatever coolant you have will come out the zinc holes.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
You could also have the return coolant tested by an analytical laboratory. Ethylene glycol versus salt water.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Remove the hx and pressure test it. It probably needs to be cleaned anyways if it is not leaking... cleaning the hx should be on the shortlist with any new to you boat.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Coolant colors are deceptive. Hard to tell much from color. Take zincs out of heat exchanger and pressure test whole cooling system. If it is leaking, whatever coolant you have will come out the zinc holes.
I like this method....sooooo simple!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #6

City: Ft Lauderdale
Vessel Model: 120' Custom, Cat 3512's, 1750 HP ea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesailing13 View Post
Possible problem, added coolant to the engine which was a little low. Brought it to the top,yellow coolant and ran the engine for 30-40 minutes. Checked the coolant level again and noticed it was full but with what looked like sea water. Could it be the heat exchanger is shot ? Engine has about 2500 hours on it and looks like it might be the original. Only had the boat for a couple of months and just pulled the zinc out of the exchanger and to my surprise no zinc at all. Any advice would help.
Thanks
I had this problem last year. I noticed it because my coolant overflow can was filling.
The sea water pressure was higher than the engine coolant pressure. When the heat exch developed a leak the higher sea water pressure filled the engine cooling loop with sea water. Picked up a pair of re-man heat exch and then flushed the engines half a dozen times with radiator flush until clean and filled with coolant.
BerettaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:25 PM   #7

City: PNW
Vessel Name: EXILE
Vessel Model: HANS CHRISTIAN TRAWLER
Just curious re FL heat exchangers and other FL parts. So often (on Ebay for example) parts for the FL 120 seem readily available whereas parts for the FL 135 seem scarce. Are most FL 120 parts interchangeable with the FL 135 and if so where can an interchangeable parts list be found?
Thanks
petdoc4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I can't answer about the interchanging parts but we've had no problem getting them for our FL SP135 in the last 10 plus years. We just had the engine rebuilt from top to bottom and everything was available, even new pistons.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by petdoc4u View Post
Just curious re FL heat exchangers and other FL parts. So often (on Ebay for example) parts for the FL 120 seem readily available whereas parts for the FL 135 seem scarce. Are most FL 120 parts interchangeable with the FL 135 and if so where can an interchangeable parts list be found?
Thanks
There do seem to be more "random" people selling FL120 parts than 135 parts. I think it may be that since the FL120 has been around a lot longer there are more 120's being retired. That said, I have found a number of good sources for 135 parts.

As far as interchangability goes, most FL120 parts are not interchangable with 135's. The exceptions (that I can think of right now) are the raw water pump(but not the drive gear), the lift pump, alternator, starter, oil and xmission coolers (but not the engine HE).

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #10
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
You can use pretty much any heat exchanger - as long as its big enough. They were just chosen for cost for the original engines and they should be serviced regularly anyway. I bought new ones and kept the old for spares which I intended to rotate through every few years.

You can't overcool the engine with a working thermostat.