Old 04-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #1
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Gotta love Honda Outboards!

This one sat for 16 years in my Garage attic awaiting the next boat (admittedly too long a wait!)

Fresh gas, new plug and Started first pull!

Should mount nicely on the rack I built..

Old 04-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
Had a 8 HP Honda for our dinghy when we were cruising. Biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. Will never own another Honda product.

Hope you have better luck with yours, ours gave me plenty of exercise rowing the dinghy back to the mother ship.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Had a 8 HP Honda for our dinghy when we were cruising. Biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. Will never own another Honda product.

Bad luck there....I've actually owned this motor for 20 years and it's never failed me...same with my Honda water pump, generator, lawn mower and numerous motorcycles and scooters..
I worked for Honda for 20 years.....My Honda pension is funding my boat adventures. I can't complain!
Old 04-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We tore ours off and put an etec on. No more Honda for us too.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I think they were the first of the four strokes, I remember going into their tent at the Miami Boat Show while one was running and being amazed at how quiet it was. Heavy though and terrible low end torque.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #6

City: Panama City
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot Rum Runner Classic
Funny, I had a 90 hp Honda that would require a carb rebuild every time I let it sit for more than 2 weeks (OK, I'm exaggerating, but only a little). My current skiff has a fuel injected Honda. It hasn't given me any problems yet during the 3 years I've owned it.
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
I have had many Honda products over the years and liked them all. But I have heard many stories of Honda outboards having cooling problems over the last 5 to 7 years. So when it was time to buy a new outboard we bought a new Yamaha 10 horse. Only had it for a year and a half so far but love it. It came with a six year warranty. I like it when a company has confidence in their product.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Most of the companies have produced pretty good small outboards...under 20HP say. Many stories of long stored outboards starting in a pull or two....mine was an old 6hp Yammie that had been submerged 2X in salt water. 4 years storage, new fuel and 2 pulls.

The only exception is Mercury which I have heard too many complaints about hard starting.

Every major outboard manufacturer has had good and bad models, good and bad years and definitely good and bad dealer service...so brand new out of the box they can be set up incorrectly.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
The current compact Hondas have a horrible rep on the pier. I bought a Suzuki because it was the only 15hp with fuel injection. No complaints but I have not owned long enough to form a creditable opinion. I despise carbs.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

like the motor bracket idea

Heron, I think I am going to steal your motor bracket idea. I like it
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvie View Post
Heron, I think I am going to steal your motor bracket idea. I like it
No problem Duvie! Here are some more pics at the link for your review. Let me know if you have any questions! I fabbed this up with some 2x4 aluminum stock, had it powdercoated, added line hangers etc. etc. Given my smallish boat and limited storage space it should work well..

Outboard rack album | Ttschwing | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I've enjoyed good luck with my 2 HP Honda 4 stroke. It always starts in a pull or two and sips the fuel. Since it's an air cooled model, it's a bit noisy at full throttle, but the lightweight and compact package makes up for it. The ladies live it b/c it's easy to start, has an intuitive reverse mechanism (swing the motor as you flip the tiller back toward you) and has a centrifugal clutch so it won't take off when it's started.

I've seen a dink with a heavy 8 HP Honda that could hardly get on plane and a 15 HP model on a RIB that keeps up with a Merc 15 2-stroke on a smaller non-RIB inflatable.

Love my Honda eu2000i generator also, although I did have to replace a connecting rod after a bolt failed at 153 hrs.

All in all, I've had very good performance out of my Honda motors, generator and two Accords. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:55 PM   #13
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Big Honda fan. Currently have an Acura, a Civic, a motorcycle, a pump, an outboard, a lawnmower, and a weed trimmer with Honda engines. Have had previous Honda cars as well.

Only other outboard I'd consider would be a Yamaha.

Not much of a brand faithful guy, but I have had great reliability from Honda products.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #14

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
I had a 2HP Honda, dam thing would start just by looking at it ;-) . I sold it because it barely had enough nuts to get my rib back into an anchorage during a ebb.
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote