Old 12-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #1

City: Bossier City, LA
Vessel Name: Son of a Sailor
Vessel Model: Bertram 46 M/Y
Good Wet Muffler for Detroits?

Im looking for suggestions on wet mufflers? Our Bertram has 871TI Detroits... They are so loud on deck. I think some of the baffel plates have fallen out of the current units. How do you tame a Detroit?
SonofaSailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:42 AM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Son
Have you inspected muffler innards to see if they failed? You might try the Bertram Forum to ascertain if anyone has tamed your boat and engine combination.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:25 AM   #3
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
So is it all exhaust noise or engine noise, too? Lead sheeting and foam work the best on engine noise for me. But foam is toxic when burning so either is sealed in fiberglass or put on the outside wall. If you have a long exhaust run, you can 1st go into a lift type muffler and in the run an inline muffler. You'll probably have a little more back pressure and may want to go to a larger hose size and muffler than you're using now. Another option is exhaust underwater. In the military I ran DDs in patrol craft that had to be quiet. On the stern there was a 90° rubber fitting on each exhaust that turned down and ended at the hull bottom. At idle and slow speeds you couldn't hear the engines.
I have two 671s below my salon and can carry on a normal conversation with the engines at 1800 rpm. And I don't hear well.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:33 AM   #4
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
If you have room in the aft corners of the engine room, water lift mufflers can do the job. When Viking was doing DD's, that's how they handled it and they were quiet on deck. I have yet to see an in line muffler work very well on DD's. That drone at hull speed drives me nuts.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:52 AM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofaSailor1 View Post
Im looking for suggestions on wet mufflers? Our Bertram has 871TI Detroits... They are so loud on deck. I think some of the baffel plates have fallen out of the current units. How do you tame a Detroit?
Sounds like you have something in place that has aged out , given the use of the term "baffle plates". Give the guys of Marine Exhaust in Alabama a call.
My old Hatteras had a sequential muffler system and noise on deck was not an issue. Funky web site, but the contact info is there.

Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama, Inc.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:53 PM   #6

City: Bossier City, LA
Vessel Name: Son of a Sailor
Vessel Model: Bertram 46 M/Y
Great to hear from someone that has successfully matched the DD with water lift mufflers. Yes I believe some of the internal portion of the original baffle plates have failed with age. One one side I can reach my arm inside from the stern to find one of the plates laying loose inside the muffler. This is a 74 model so not surprised to have a few things fail. Thanks everyone for the input and possible vendors to contact.
SonofaSailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:59 AM   #7
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Look for some silent sailors.

They work awesome on exhaust notes.

Keep the DD note but bring it down to an awesome level at dock and while at WOT.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #8
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Son
Centek will custom make water lifts to match existing size and hose placement. If you can get a few pictures with a ruler they could give an estimate and schedule. For final fabrication using the existing units (are they identical) as a pattern would be ideal.

How much does vessel need to be disassembled for access?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote