Old 04-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
Probably a stupid question, but

Today. Stopped in Osprey (SC) marina for fuel ($2.59 /gallon) and an overnight. After fueling I smelled diesel in the boat. I investigated the engine room and found a quart or so of diesel under one of my Cummins 6BTA. I found no obvious trail of diesel on the engine, but I did find that the builder, or Cummins had wrapped a fuel line around the engine with no chaffing protection.

As a result, one of the lines, from the fuel filter to the pump had a small pin hole. I started the engine, ran it up and observed and saw no fuel leaking. Perhaps it will only leak under load? I am wondering if this particular line is under pressure or vacuum and whether a band aid, would get me back home, about 40 more hours.

I guess what I don’t know Is whether the fuel I found today is many days accumulation or from the last 30 minutes of running.

The marina is near Myrtle beach and probably offers one of the best opportunities to get a fuel line made. Still, I hate to stop now, if there is a temporary solution.

Insights appreciated..
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Unrelated, I'll be at Osprey on Friday for the big blow (bad weather) that's coming. When it comes to fuel leaks, I want them resolved before moving on. There is always the chance that they will get worse.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:22 PM   #3
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
They never seem to get better on their own, do they.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #4
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
If you're certain of the source, clean the hose with brake cleaner, put a piece of gasket material or some rescue tape around the line at the leak, and apply a hose clamp, just snug so it won't leak. That should hold you till you can get a new hose made up. That hose should not be under pressure if it's ahead of the lift pump, so getting it to stop leaking should be relatively easy.
If you recently fueled up, the increase in static head or higher level of fuel could explain the leak. That pinhole could also allow air in, so be aware of air ingress problems- sluggish start, bogging under load.
I'd be getting it corrected sooner rather than later. But that's me.

For future reference, maybe keep a few feet of fuel hose in your spares with some barbed fittings to enable you to create a hose in a pinch.

I have a 6BT, it has remote oil filter lines that can chafe. Always good to do a thorough visual on all those kinds of things. Any point of contact is a potential leak, eliminate chafe!

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #5
Guru

I’ll see you friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Unrelated, I'll be at Osprey on Friday for the big blow (bad weather) that's coming. When it comes to fuel leaks, I want them resolved before moving on. There is always the chance that they will get worse.

Ted
If I decide to get a new hose made here. I’ll probably do it here, rent a car tomorrow and get on with it.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:07 AM   #6
Guru

Good idea about hose barbs and hose.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:46 AM   #7
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
If I decide to get a new hose made here. I’ll probably do it here, rent a car tomorrow and get on with it.

I think I'd opt for the new hose. Or travel on one engine 'til you're home. (Did that once, slow but manageable.)

If you decide to replace it there at Osprey, Miles could maybe source it for you...

-Chris
Old 04-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #8
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:

I don't want to bash the town, but remember that you are only in Myrtle Beach. That's not exactly a boater's town. While there are a few boating businesses, they are geared toward the skiff and center console market. So if you can't source the fix there, remember there are towns like Morehead City/Beaufort/Jarrett Bay, Wrightsville Beach, and Oriental a day or so ahead of you.

Good luck. Let us know how the fix goes.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #9
Guru

I am told that NAPA in Southport can make the lines. These will be crimp ons. Any reason that should not work?
Old 04-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #10
Guru

A day for you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
I don't want to bash the town, but remember that you are only in Myrtle Beach. That's not exactly a boater's town. While there are a few boating businesses, they are geared toward the skiff and center console market. So if you can't source the fix there, remember there are towns like Morehead City/Beaufort/Jarrett Bay, Wrightsville Beach, and Oriental a day or so ahead of you.

Good luck. Let us know how the fix goes.
But two days for us trawlers...

Thanks cary.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #11
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
If it is a hose just buy a new piece of hose. If it is a hard fuel line you can cut the bad bit out and clamp a piece of hose into the gap.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #12
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Napa here makes hydraulic lines that operate under significant pressure. The same methods will work fine for fuel lines. However I would be inclined to replace any lines with attached end fittings with pieces of hose and install barbed fittings to attach the hose to. My engine was done that way from the factory except between the injector pump and the injectors.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #13
Guru

The hoses are flex hoses with manufactured ends. I doubt it requires a high pressure fitting????
Old 04-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #14
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
If it is a hard fuel line you can cut the bad bit out and clamp a piece of hose into the gap.
I've done that before on a SeaRay in Lake Havasu, Arizona. It worked so well that I never did replace the line.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove Springs
The main issue I have seen with hydraulic fittings from non marine outlets (and a lot of marine ones) is that corrode so I go around and put lanolin grease on mine every now and again.
PaulGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #16
Guru

All,

I tried to fix the leak, temporarily, to no avail. Limped into Southport, NC. Had about a liter of diesel under the engine in oil absorbent cloth.

The NAPA store here is actually Napa automotive and Marine. Anyway, had replacement hoses made in about two minutes, literally. The store used a hydraulic press to crimp the fittings. Versus oem, the hose and connectors are larger in diameter, but I got it re-installed, with lots of grunting. Wish I had made the new hose a few inches longer.

Girdon
Old 04-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #17
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
All,

I tried to fix the leak, temporarily, to no avail. Limped into Southport, NC. Had about a liter of diesel under the engine in oil absorbent cloth.

The NAPA store here is actually Napa automotive and Marine. Anyway, had replacement hoses made in about two minutes, literally. The store used a hydraulic press to crimp the fittings. Versus oem, the hose and connectors are larger in diameter, but I got it re-installed, with lots of grunting. Wish I had made the new hose a few inches longer.

Girdon
Sounds like an entrepreneur that knows the local market!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #18
Guru

Forgot to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Sounds like an entrepreneur that knows the local market!
$83 for the four foot hose. $35 for the Uber ride there and back.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:09 PM   #19

Fuel Line

Napa in North Myrtle Beach makes hoses. They are less than a mile from the Little River swing bridge and Harbourgate Marina. They are boat friendly and I feel certain they would make and deliver what ever you may need to Harbourgate.
Don
deprice320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #20
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
That's why I always carry double ended barbed fittings and hose clamps for fuel hoses as well as spare hose, tube, fittings and flare tool. Don't mess with fuel leaks, fix it now.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote