Old 08-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #61

City: Gainesville, FL
..far be it from me to get started on a singles vs. twins discussion, but that "...90% of diesel issues" statement drives me up a wall. Anyone have ANY idea where that "fact" came from? In my humble experience, many of the problems that caused a boat to lose an engine (single OR twin) were due to external factors - a bag or jellyfish clogged seacock, dinghy painter or crabpot wrapped around a shaft, overheating due to aforementioned clogged seacock or damaged impeller, throttle/shift cable issues, turbocharger bearings/seals, transmission woes, damaged underwater gear through collision or grounding...the list goes on.

kraftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #62
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
kraftee-sorry to raise your hackles that much. I was being a bit flip, and brief. My real point was the same as yours, most issues are external to the basic engine itself. I think the point remains the same though, even adding in your alternatives-issues that can be resolved to keep an engine running.

THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #63
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
I had considered a computer controlled diesel for my boat.My thought was to lay in two full and separate wiring harnesses,with separate power connections,and computers.I'd hate to plug in the spare computer just to find out there is a short in the harness and burn up the back up computer.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #64
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You can have ninety nine spare parts on your boat and still be missing the part you need to fix a problem. Like the man said, the engine computer. Do you carry a spare engine computer?
JD sells a parts on board kit that looks like it includes a spare engine computer. If the kit does not include the computer, one could order one.

Does one need this for coastal cruising? I would not think so.

Does one need this to cross the Atlantic? I would.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #65
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
..far be it from me to get started on a singles vs. twins discussion, but that "...90% of diesel issues" statement drives me up a wall. Anyone have ANY idea where that "fact" came from?
I think it was this guy, Eric.
Attached Images

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:48 PM   #66

City: Gainesville, FL
Yes! I remember that dude. He's definitely the guy. I think he also said that, "76.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot."
Old 08-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #67
Veteran Member

City: New Baltimore
Vessel Name: ReeLeeBlest
Vessel Model: Carver 4207
made up statistics

Kraftee you stole my line
Wzdr02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #68
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
OK, I just finished a 76 day, 2K mile cruise. Here's what failed - the windlass and the accumulator tank for the potable water system. Would anyone have carried spares for these?

I did change the drive belts, not because they failed but because they didn't look good and I wanted to change them at a dock, not at sea.

Someone should post a list of recommended spare parts here. Then everyone can add to it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #69
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
You can have ninety nine spare parts on your boat and still be missing the part you need to fix a problem. Like the man said, the engine computer. Do you carry a spare engine computer?
So your theory apparently is since there are just to many things that could go wrong to cover don't bother to try and cover any of them and just hope for the best?

I take it you were never a Boy Scout.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #70
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Someone should post a list of recommended spare parts here. Then everyone can add to it.
The problem from a budgetary standpoint is the "everyone can add to it" portion. Some spares are essential but there's always one more thing. And like rwidman said before, with 99 spares aboard, it's the one you don't have that gets us in the end.

What I'd rather know is what to have aboard and how to jury rig a temporary fix to get myself to safety. Or to continue the journey without stopping for an inconvenience. For instance, the night before I was to leave I dumped an o-ring overboard from my water filter -- not a "biggie" by any stretch of the imagination as I do have a hand pump for water in the galley but that won't work for showers.

Yes, I fixed it -- and when I get to Home Depot I'll buy the proper o-ring and a spare. Now that I think of it, I think I'll see if I can find one online and order it today. My temporary fix is now on month three or four so it's time to actually knuckle down and make it right.

janice142 article Water System and Filter Fix

So in addition to spare parts, I'd like to know what you've done to fix something on the fly. A while back I "fixed' an oil pressure sending unit gizmo on the Gasoline Beast with JB Weld. It wasn't pretty but it didn't leak and when I got to a place with stores I was able to buy another one.

And my list of spares would include the real Rescue Tape. I've used it on an exhaust hose problem I had a couple years back. (The alternator belt was rubbing -- I fixed the worn spot and used a couple of straps to move the hose away from the belt.)

Don't buy that cheap knock-off 'rescue tape' -- I'd given my roll to a guy with a leak and he replaced it with a less expensive version. That junk was about half as thick, didn't stretch properly, and wasn't rated for heat. Sigh.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #71
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Capt Bill-I saw your post re the fuel use estimates. Since I know nothing about the tests performed or how they were performed, I can't comment on them. That said, I have seen other comparison tests run and have talked to several engineers over the years and there seems to be pretty much consensus that the 1 vs 2 fuel savings are marginal at best. As was noted, the same energy is needed to produce the same result.
Yes the figures are pretty interesting. I believe they ran three identical Mainships with the three engine configurations to get the data. But it would be interesting to know if they are accurate and repeatable.

The results may be due to the unique nature of the 1+2 system compared to the standard 1+1 or 2+2 configuration. But I have no real idea about that.

And while I don't disagree that the fuel use numbers between singles and twins in the same type boats are normally thought to be very close, IF the figures are accurate, the 30 more miles per 100 gallons between the standard 1+1 and the standard 2+2 configurations is anything but marginal.

Again it would be interesting to see if even those figure could be repeated or perhaps confirmed by Mainship owners.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #72
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
So your theory apparently is since there are just to many things that could go wrong to cover don't bother to try and cover any of them and just hope for the best?

I take it you were never a Boy Scout.
I don't know what it is about this forum but some people have a problem with reading or comprehension.

Please read my post again, this time trying to understand it, not just thinking of a (stupid) knee jerk reply.

If you can come up with an intelligent and respectful question, I will try my best to give an intelligent and respectful reply.

BTW: Yes, I was a Boy Scout.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #73
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. r. "Someone should post a list of recommended spare parts here. Then everyone can add to it." Great idea and I think it's been done on TF before BUT might I suggest it be made into a sticky so it can be referenced.
I'll start: 4 cedar shingles.
How about it mods? One might even include new or unique tools as well in a separate sticky.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #74
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
I'll start: 4 cedar shingles.
I'll bite. Why cedar?
Old 08-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #75
Enigma

Greetings,
Ms. j. That's pretty well the reaction I get whenever I suggest shingles. Well: Rot resistant, easily cut/carved, lightweight, CHEAP and easily stowed. I've used them for paint/epoxy stir sticks (easily split lengthwise), fishing bobbers, filling stripped screw holes, backing for filling larger holes with thickened epoxy, wedges to keep windows from rattling, carve chopsticks for sushi night, wedges for leveling, dutchman glued into small cracks, lighting fires (tinder or long match), scooping up doggie oopsies, soaked- you can BBQ small pieces of fish, taped onto a hose or wire-temporary chafe protection, house plant stakes ....the list goes on but you get the idea. How often have you needed just a small piece of wood for something? I've even carved a plug for the end of a caulking tube...Oh, one thing I forgot. Put one in your sock drawer to deter moths.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #76
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
MR RT-Who would've thunk it? I am heading to Home Depot to buy cedar shingles!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #77
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I like the cedar shingle idea...

I could paint on one "TF PSYCHIATRIST" and hang my "shingle" outside my boat...some here seem to dish it out but never take it...bet I could help and the shingle idea is perfect....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #78
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. T. Don't buy the treated shingles or you can't use them for cooking.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #79
Guru

Quote:

If you can come up with an intelligent and respectful question, I will try my best to give an intelligent and respectful reply.
OK how about this. What spare parts do you carry and why? What spare parts do you not carry and why?
Old 08-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #80
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
RT, I can't get shingles, I've been vaccinated.