Get Me Home Power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
..far be it from me to get started on a singles vs. twins discussion, but that "...90% of diesel issues" statement drives me up a wall. Anyone have ANY idea where that "fact" came from? In my humble experience, many of the problems that caused a boat to lose an engine (single OR twin) were due to external factors - a bag or jellyfish clogged seacock, dinghy painter or crabpot wrapped around a shaft, overheating due to aforementioned clogged seacock or damaged impeller, throttle/shift cable issues, turbocharger bearings/seals, transmission woes, damaged underwater gear through collision or grounding...the list goes on.

kraftee-sorry to raise your hackles that much. I was being a bit flip, and brief. My real point was the same as yours, most issues are external to the basic engine itself. I think the point remains the same though, even adding in your alternatives-issues that can be resolved to keep an engine running.

I had considered a computer controlled diesel for my boat.My thought was to lay in two full and separate wiring harnesses,with separate power connections,and computers.I'd hate to plug in the spare computer just to find out there is a short in the harness and burn up the back up computer.

You can have ninety nine spare parts on your boat and still be missing the part you need to fix a problem. Like the man said, the engine computer. Do you carry a spare engine computer?

JD sells a parts on board kit that looks like it includes a spare engine computer. If the kit does not include the computer, one could order one.

Does one need this for coastal cruising? I would not think so.

Does one need this to cross the Atlantic? I would.

Later,
Dan

..far be it from me to get started on a singles vs. twins discussion, but that "...90% of diesel issues" statement drives me up a wall. Anyone have ANY idea where that "fact" came from?

I think it was this guy, Eric.

Attachments

• Irwin Corey.jpg
    Irwin Corey.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 321
Yes! I remember that dude. He's definitely the guy. I think he also said that, "76.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot."

made up statistics

Kraftee you stole my line

OK, I just finished a 76 day, 2K mile cruise. Here's what failed - the windlass and the accumulator tank for the potable water system. Would anyone have carried spares for these?

I did change the drive belts, not because they failed but because they didn't look good and I wanted to change them at a dock, not at sea.

Someone should post a list of recommended spare parts here. Then everyone can add to it.

You can have ninety nine spare parts on your boat and still be missing the part you need to fix a problem. Like the man said, the engine computer. Do you carry a spare engine computer?

So your theory apparently is since there are just to many things that could go wrong to cover don't bother to try and cover any of them and just hope for the best?

I take it you were never a Boy Scout.

Someone should post a list of recommended spare parts here. Then everyone can add to it.

The problem from a budgetary standpoint is the "everyone can add to it" portion. Some spares are essential but there's always one more thing. And like rwidman said before, with 99 spares aboard, it's the one you don't have that gets us in the end.

What I'd rather know is what to have aboard and how to jury rig a temporary fix to get myself to safety. Or to continue the journey without stopping for an inconvenience. For instance, the night before I was to leave I dumped an o-ring overboard from my water filter -- not a "biggie" by any stretch of the imagination as I do have a hand pump for water in the galley but that won't work for showers.

Yes, I fixed it -- and when I get to Home Depot I'll buy the proper o-ring and a spare. Now that I think of it, I think I'll see if I can find one online and order it today. My temporary fix is now on month three or four so it's time to actually knuckle down and make it right. :)

janice142 article Water System and Filter Fix

So in addition to spare parts, I'd like to know what you've done to fix something on the fly. A while back I "fixed' an oil pressure sending unit gizmo on the Gasoline Beast with JB Weld. It wasn't pretty but it didn't leak and when I got to a place with stores I was able to buy another one.

And my list of spares would include the real Rescue Tape. I've used it on an exhaust hose problem I had a couple years back. (The alternator belt was rubbing -- I fixed the worn spot and used a couple of straps to move the hose away from the belt.)

Don't buy that cheap knock-off 'rescue tape' -- I'd given my roll to a guy with a leak and he replaced it with a less expensive version. That junk was about half as thick, didn't stretch properly, and wasn't rated for heat. Sigh.

Capt Bill-I saw your post re the fuel use estimates. Since I know nothing about the tests performed or how they were performed, I can't comment on them. That said, I have seen other comparison tests run and have talked to several engineers over the years and there seems to be pretty much consensus that the 1 vs 2 fuel savings are marginal at best. As was noted, the same energy is needed to produce the same result.

Yes the figures are pretty interesting. I believe they ran three identical Mainships with the three engine configurations to get the data. But it would be interesting to know if they are accurate and repeatable.

The results may be due to the unique nature of the 1+2 system compared to the standard 1+1 or 2+2 configuration. But I have no real idea about that.

And while I don't disagree that the fuel use numbers between singles and twins in the same type boats are normally thought to be very close, IF the figures are accurate, the 30 more miles per 100 gallons between the standard 1+1 and the standard 2+2 configurations is anything but marginal.

Again it would be interesting to see if even those figure could be repeated or perhaps confirmed by Mainship owners.

So your theory apparently is since there are just to many things that could go wrong to cover don't bother to try and cover any of them and just hope for the best?

I take it you were never a Boy Scout.

I don't know what it is about this forum but some people have a problem with reading or comprehension.

Please read my post again, this time trying to understand it, not just thinking of a (stupid) knee jerk reply.

If you can come up with an intelligent and respectful question, I will try my best to give an intelligent and respectful reply.

BTW: Yes, I was a Boy Scout.

Greetings,
Mr. r. "Someone should post a list of recommended spare parts here. Then everyone can add to it." Great idea and I think it's been done on TF before BUT might I suggest it be made into a sticky so it can be referenced.
I'll start: 4 cedar shingles.
How about it mods? One might even include new or unique tools as well in a separate sticky.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Ms. j. That's pretty well the reaction I get whenever I suggest shingles. Well: Rot resistant, easily cut/carved, lightweight, CHEAP and easily stowed. I've used them for paint/epoxy stir sticks (easily split lengthwise), fishing bobbers, filling stripped screw holes, backing for filling larger holes with thickened epoxy, wedges to keep windows from rattling, carve chopsticks for sushi night, wedges for leveling, dutchman glued into small cracks, lighting fires (tinder or long match), scooping up doggie oopsies, soaked- you can BBQ small pieces of fish, taped onto a hose or wire-temporary chafe protection, house plant stakes ....the list goes on but you get the idea. How often have you needed just a small piece of wood for something? I've even carved a plug for the end of a caulking tube...Oh, one thing I forgot. Put one in your sock drawer to deter moths.

Last edited:
MR RT-Who would've thunk it? I am heading to Home Depot to buy cedar shingles!

I like the cedar shingle idea...

I could paint on one "TF PSYCHIATRIST" and hang my "shingle" outside my boat...some here seem to dish it out but never take it...bet I could help and the shingle idea is perfect....:D

Greetings,
Mr. T. Don't buy the treated shingles or you can't use them for cooking.
th

Last edited:
If you can come up with an intelligent and respectful question, I will try my best to give an intelligent and respectful reply.

OK how about this. What spare parts do you carry and why? What spare parts do you not carry and why?

RT, I can't get shingles, I've been vaccinated.

"you still may be able to get "the shakes""
Good one Hollywood! It took me a minute to remember that "shake" is another term for shingle.

I carry my tow card, lots of fuel filters, spare water pump, spare alternator (mostly to allow me to operate while the alternator is being serviced), belts, fuses, and a sea anchor which would be d3ployed in the event of an engine failure somewhere too deep to anchor. This doesn't happen very often now that I'm out of Lake Superior. I've been towed once in about 45,000 cruising miles, and that was due to a wacky packing gland that I didn't want to deal with at the time. Yup, a second engine would have been handy.

OK how about this. What spare parts do you carry and why? What spare parts do you not carry and why?

Off the top of my head, filters, impellers, belts, fuses, wire, connectors, electric and duct tape, rescue tape, anchor and rode, propeller (it was on the boat when I bought it), oil, coolant, wooden and plastic plugs in case there's a hole in the hull, bulbs for the navigation lights, repair parts for the head, a bunch of tools and my TowBoatUS card. There are probably more that I've forgotten.

The list of what I don't carry would be everything else on the boat that might break and that would be a very long list. It would also be thousands of dollars and hundreds of pounds. It's impossible to predict just what will fail and when.

In the end, it's balancing cost and weight against the probability of failure and the danger that possible failure might cause. Crossing the Atlantic and cruising the AICW are two very different levels of risk. The spares I carry are based on my evaluation of the risk involved.

I think I mentioned above that on my last cruise, the windlass and potable water system's accumulator tank failed. Who would have had these on their spare parts list? One of the wiper motors wouldn't run and tripped the breaker. I was able to take it apart, free it up and lubricate the mechanism and that solved the problem. Is a spare wiper motor on most spare parts lists?

Spares:

From my maintenance log, the following spares were used last season outside of normal maintenance :

Bilge Pump
Macerator pump
Fresh water pump
Racor filters – main engine
Stop solenoid wing engine
Running light bulb
Wind generator fuse
Genset impeller
Hose clamp
Float switch
Shower mixer
Shore Water hose repair
110 volt extension cord male plug
Magnet on chain counter
Watermaker diversion valve
Outboard Prop bushing
Washer/Dryer timer dial
Wind generator circuit board

Last edited:
Spares:

From my maintenance log, the following spares were used outside of normal maintenance :

Bilge Pump
Macerator pump
Fresh water pump
Racor filters – main engine
Stop solenoid wing engine
Running light bulb
Wind generator fuse
Genset impeller
Hose clamp
Float switch
Shower mixer
Shore Water hose
110 volt extension cord male plug
Magnet on chain counter
Watermaker diversion valve
Outboard Prop bushing
Washer/Dryer timer dial
Wind generator circuit board

This is an example of our different needs. I have no genset, chain counter or watermaker.

I didn't list them as spare parts, but I do carry two drinking water hoses and two shore power cords, one 40' and one 50'. I have an adapter to use a 50 amp outlet and one to use a 15 amp household outlet. I have a bunch of extra lines and more fenders than I usually use at one time.

I have dozens of spare SS screws, sheet metal and machine and nuts.

Last edited:
This thread should be two parts, one for those who travel where help is nearby and the other for no help nearby towing or otherwise. In the latter case a get home is much desired witness Nordhavn, Selene, Dashew, Watson, Seaton, Northern Marine etc success in selling vessels so equipped.

For the less well heeled traveling afar, pre emptive PM and spare parts with install knowledge rule the day.

My top 10 modifiers for carrying spares....there's probably more but this usually targets my list pretty well....and sure some can be thought about in different ways just like we all think in different ways.

1. Is the system critical until I can effect repairs including getting parts?
2. Is the part critical to the system?
3. Is there an identical or "adaptable part" in a non-critical system that can be cannibalized?
4. Is the part comprised of wear parts or limited life parts (such as impellers)?
5. What is the life expectancy of an installed part (sure they can fail at any time...but history shows that worrying about certain things is foolish if you are 100 times more likely to just sink or get struck by lightning)?
6. Will the spare deteriorate to the point of uselessness? Can I arrest that by vacuum bagging?
7. Is there room to stow it?
8. Can I field replace it anyhow?
9. Do I have the tools/extras to install it/make it work?
10. Where does it fit in my budget?

9. Do I have the tools/extras to install it/make it work?
10. Where does it fit in my budget?

psneeld hit on one thing that bit me on the keester a while back. I needed to tighten down the valve cover and my extension would not work without a universal socket thing. I should have that aboard but it wasn't. I managed to borrow one from a fisherman and make the repair but when I got to a town I bought one for Seaweed.

And from my ship stores made the fisherman's son a light that worked off his boat's battery. A spice bottle was the waterproof cover (drilled a hole in the lid, then sealed with silicone) and I used a spare socket and LED for the "works" part. It wasn't fancy but it worked.

Back
Top Bottom