Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #1

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Name: Slow Bells
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
"get home" systems

In my previous post "disappointed with twin screw fuel economy", there was reference made to "get home" systems, used mostly by single screw trawlers in an emergency to run the prop from the generator. The 2 links shown below were referred to in that previous thread. If you know of more information on the internet about "get home" systems, I would love to learn more. Thanks.

The Get-Home System: Do You Need One And What Are The Options? | PassageMaker

http://www.wesmar.com/pdf/APU/apu_brochure_web.pdf

seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #2

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Great references, seattleboatguy. I've seen many single screw trawlers with get home outboards. I have seriously contemplated adding one to mine (4HP to 6HP long shaft would probably suffice for my boat in an emergency) but the additional hardware would ruin the look of my girl's rear!

Old 11-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
During our recent boat search we looked at one boat that had a 3 phase generator and a 3 phase 20hp electric motor that was able to connect to the propeller shaft via a belt and pulley. Have to see if I can find it again.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
FF
Guru

For an offshore cruiser I would choose HYD.

So many items are far better powered (windlass , thrusters ) that it would be worth the effort.

6KW is easy to obtain with a relativly cheap hyd gen head that could be powered off the main engine or noisemaker. The noisemaker could power the shaft , or for the real belt / suspenders folks, a folding sailing prop that could also be powered with the main engine should the shaft system fail.

Not much that cant be run with Hyd , and if overloaded the white smoke never comes out.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Compare the cost of a get-home system to the cost of a really full set of spares for a main propulsion engine: starter, water pump, lift pump, water hoses and fuel lines, etc. as well as the normal periodically replaced stuff like impellers, fuel filters, and so forth.

And really good towing insurance

I've read most diesel problems originate in the "bolt ons." If true, and if traveling within range of the tow boats, spares can be lots less expensive than extra engines/props/etc.

-Chris
Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I still dream of a day when a simple diesel outboard would be EPA approved here. Expensive, but easy to sell or transfer to a future boat, not to mention, a capable (albeit heavy) dinghy motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d27.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	24386  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
No tow service where we live, so we got a 9.9 Lehr propane outboard on a swivel bracket with a fibreglass 20 lb tank...haven't needed it yet but happy that it's back there, always ready to go, even in winter, just in case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEHR & Bracket.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	24394  
Old 11-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I still dream of a day when a simple diesel outboard would be EPA approved here. Expensive, but easy to sell or transfer to a future boat, not to mention, a capable (albeit heavy) dinghy motor.
I agree. I would prefer diesel outboard as my first choice, but will go with extensive spare parts for main engine for my future passage plans.

Also, in my many year search, i never found a twin engine boat that was less than 50% more fuel consumption. (1.5 gal for my KK42, versus 2.2 gal for the best twin)

Richard on Dauntless
Southbound and Down
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Out of curiousity have you tested this setup, how does it perform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
No tow service where we live, so we got a 9.9 Lehr propane outboard on a swivel bracket with a fibreglass 20 lb tank...haven't needed it yet but happy that it's back there, always ready to go, even in winter, just in case.
Marlinmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Compare the cost of a get-home system to the cost of a really full set of spares for a main propulsion engine: starter, water pump, lift pump, water hoses and fuel lines, etc. as well as the normal periodically replaced stuff like impellers, fuel filters, and so forth.

And really good towing insurance

I've read most diesel problems originate in the "bolt ons." If true, and if traveling within range of the tow boats, spares can be lots less expensive than extra engines/props/etc.

-Chris
Except that this misses one of the most common failures - the exposed prop and shaft. I would hate to be in my engine room trying to fix the diesel out in open water with no control of the boat. At least a get-home setup will allow the boat to make headway. I agree with the PM article that using an offset wing engine is tough on the autopilot. When I putting hours on my wing engine I can only get mine to stay on course with the AP in calm water after manually compensating for the offset.

Dave
Old 11-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post

Also, in my many year search, i never found a twin engine boat that was less than 50% more fuel consumption. (1.5 gal for my KK42, versus 2.2 gal for the best twin)

Richard on Dauntless
Southbound and Down
We usually find what we want to find. For a KK 52 I have seen the boats and data to support no more than a 10 per cent differential when comparing a single JD 6068 to two JD 4045s. In fact at several speed ranges they were identical.

I've a friend with the last KK 42 made. He has cruised both coasts extensively with nary a let down on his JD single. Another friend has had his single Selene, with a get home setup also, towed back to safe harbor. Lots of stories out there to chuckle about.

The penultimate single engine ocean voyager, Dashews FPB 64, have very nice get homes. The earlier ones did not and were retrofitted. With the get home only running they track true with AP.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #12

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Except that this misses one of the most common failures - the exposed prop and shaft. I would hate to be in my engine room trying to fix the diesel out in open water with no control of the boat. At least a get-home setup will allow the boat to make headway. I agree with the PM article that using an offset wing engine is tough on the autopilot. When I putting hours on my wing engine I can only get mine to stay on course with the AP in calm water after manually compensating for the offset.

Dave
Hi Dave,

When I'm running the wing engine, I switch the Autopilot to "Work" mode, and it does much better at running in a straight line. My understanding is that "work" mode is for situations such as towing alongside, telling the AutoPilot to try harder because you are in a situation requiring finer control. YMMV

I also agree that one of the benefits of a wing engine is the completely separate fuel system, engine, shaft and propeller. It allows you to keep the boat off the rocks, pointed into the weather while you deal with whatever stupid user mistake caused the main engine to stop....
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
The Eagle has a hydraulic get home. The gen set Perkins engine drives the hydraulic pump which drives the hydraulic bow thruster but the lines can be switch to drive the get home. The get home is connected to the main shaft with a sprocket chain drive. The gen set is set at a fixed 1800 rpm, so the hydraulic pumps is varible psi from 0 to 1500 psi that is controlled by a cable from the pilot house. The pump also has an electric drive, so when no used it free spins. I have connect the get home only once and we got some head way, maybe 3 to 5 knots.

The hose is rated to 3000 psi and the and bow thruster hydraulic drive to 2500 psi. The limiting factor is the gen set engines HP. When we bought the Eagle the hydraulic pump had the electric clutch but a fixed PSI. The sudden PSI made the hoses jump which made me jump, so changed the hydraulic pump to a variable psi, and re sheaved the gen set to maximize the hydraulic pump RPM and PSI. The sytem has a 15 gallon reservoir tank so the pump can run for hours at a time.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Bay Pelican's get home engine is a Yanmar 27 hp offset to starboard with its own shaft and prop. The fuel supply comes from the main tanks through the same manifolds as the main engine. This is one weakness which I may get around to curing in the future with a separate small tank for the wing engine.

Our cruising grounds has no tow service at all, so its get home by yourself or get help from another boater, 19 out of 20 of which are sailboats.

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: henderson
hydralic system

Many years ago I had a hydralic system on my boat. It was mounted like a transmition on to a westerbeke. A get home moter was mounted above the shaft with a heavy timing style belt. I also had a hydralic anchor windlass, with refer comp and scuba comp run with hydralic motors. The system was designed so the motors would hold a set speed even if both were run at the same time. There was also a pump run off the main engine thru a magnetic clutch. This system worked very well. I never had to use the get home driver even with two trips Fiji to Australia. My first real post on TF hope it is OK.
fijigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #16
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
Out of curiousity have you tested this setup, how does it perform?
We haven't given the Lehr 9.9 a full blown test yet, as in finding speed over ground in neutral conditions, just noodled around a bit to get a feel for it. It's #1 job is to get us out of immediate danger and to a safe anchorage where we can attend to whatever happened if we lose the main engine.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post

Dave

Yep, agree. Another potential problem might be bad fuel, although that's perhaps sometimes manageable with filtration and even polishing for some, etc. OTOH, it could also affect a get-home, too, depending on tankage...

Bouncing around in the open ocean while struggling to change a water pump or some such could indeed be a pain. Possibly attenuated with a sea anchor or drogue... but maybe not.

In any case. I wouldn't want to be there either.

FWIW, I meant my earlier remarks as a mention of another approach, another cost option to consider... along with various risk assessments... costs versus risk versus likelihood of risk versus potential mitigation of risk... and all that.

Not as a recommendation for course of action.

-Chris
Old 11-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #18
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
During our recent boat search we looked at one boat that had a 3 phase generator and a 3 phase 20hp electric motor that was able to connect to the propeller shaft via a belt and pulley. Have to see if I can find it again.
I recall reading about a Willard 40 that had that setup, if that helps you find it again.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #19
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
MurrayM could have the reasonable available solution with the Propane unit on a bracket. Hopcar carries Lehr outboards, and my plan was to trade-out my 9.9 Merc for one anyway. None of these solutions are easy, but a simple outboard bracketed straight could give you the knots necessary for the rudder to be effective. Once within docking range, it could help maneuver the boat even in reverse right from the stern while 1st mate handles to bow thruster. In weather, it may be strong enough to keep the boat bow into the waves or current while working on the main.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Whidbey Island
Vessel Name: Rekindle
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
I believe you are referring to "Domino", a 40' Willard vintage mid 1970's(?). Interesting set up.

Rekindle is offline   Reply With Quote