Old 08-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #41
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
I just bought an E-Propulsion Spirit 1.0 for my new Dinghy. Nice piece of gear and an improvement over the Torqeedo design IMO. It has an integrated (removable) battery of 40V and 1000amps, 3hp equivalent and 66lbs of thrust. They also make a line of higher Horsepower OB Units (the Navy series) in 6 and 10 HP. The Lithium Polymer 60V battery for those is outrageously expensive though...

Check em out: Electric Outboard | ePropulsion
Old 08-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
I just bought an E-Propulsion Spirit 1.0 for my new Dinghy. Nice piece of gear and an improvement over the Torqeedo design IMO. It has an integrated (removable) battery of 40V and 1000amps, 3hp equivalent and 66lbs of thrust. They also make a line of higher Horsepower OB Units (the Navy series) in 6 and 10 HP. The Lithium Polymer 60V battery for those is outrageously expensive though...

Interesting outboard.

I think you're mistaken on the 1,000 amps. They list the battery as 1KW, which is 1,000 watts.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:06 PM   #43
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Swing hand tools underwater?

Ok, enough said.......
Well, that's where the bent/broken bits are going to be. If I'm close enough to a boatyard to get a haulout, then I certainly don't need the outboard! Might be possible to beach the boat at high tide, work on the gear, then refloat, but that has a range of hazards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post

"An 7.5 HP 3 phase 220v electric motor is installed with belt drive to the shaft providing for "get home" power in the event of a problem with the drive engine. The Onan MDJE-18R diesel generator provides 7.5KW 3 phase power for the get home motor and 5KW single phase for house loads. The get home motor provides steady drive forward at about 5 knots in calm water."
There's the proof of concept. 5 knots is almost cruising speed!
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #44

City: Coomera
Vessel Model: Barry Hughes Millcraft custom timber cruiser
I remember we had diesel outboards being trialed on one of our work boats on a salmon farm in southern Tasmania in 1996 ran beautifully but wouldn't pull the skin off a custard they have been around a long time.

Here is a 300 Hp one. http://www.boatsales.com.au/editoria...tralia-110350/
Arafura II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #45
Guru

City: Vermont
Keep in mind that if you break down near land you can call for help and the get home is of much less value/concern. But if you break down far away, you need a get home that can work in adverse conditions and can run for days. So it seems like somewhat of an all or nothing proposition.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:53 PM   #46
DDW
Guru

I'm not going that far from land, but near land doesn't mean help is at hand. The most recent place I've been that this was true was the north west side of Vancouver Island. For several days we saw no one at all, no cell coverage, and VHF was very spotty. Even with a sat phone, getting a tow from there to the nearest travel lift is many days and a small fortune. You'd find the limits of your "unlimited tow" membership very quickly. But a weeks run at 2- 3 knots would but you near help. A small outboard would do that pretty easily, if only the fuel were available. Just need to turn diesel into propulsion some how.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:09 PM   #47
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Anybody remember these?

I don't think they were ever sold in the US, but what about a used or rebuilt one purchased abroad. Apparently they are available rebuilt from Apollo Duck in Lithuania. They were available in 18, 27, 36 and 40HP models.

Yea, I know, too much time on my hands tonight . . . .
Old 08-10-2018, 06:07 AM   #48
FF
Guru

I do not think it is practical to retrofit an inshore boat to do much more than stagger a bit with a dink pushing on the hip.

For an offshore cruiser ,far more costly and complex, the concept would be getting the most service from what is installed.

A diesel aux engine could power a hyd pump and a large (250A-24V DC ) coach alt.

This would charge a huge house batt set easily and if monitored quickly..

For emergency propulsion the hyd pump could spin a Paul Luke 2 blade prop with good diameter and enough blade area to move the boat modest speeds .
These are not racing sailboat props , but built for this style service.

The hyd pack could easily power a generator head for air cond.

It would also power the thrusters and windlass and any dink or anchor cranes aboard.

A hyd pump on the propulsion engine could also power these loads , the hyd would be sized to operate the generator head during cruiseing.

Advantages , the wing or aux engine would get plenty of use so should require less maint.

The thrusters would operate at full power with the main engine at idle.

Would not be a big deal to create with OTS parts .

Next boat perhaps?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #49
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Interesting outboard.

I think you're mistaken on the 1,000 amps. They list the battery as 1KW, which is 1,000 watts.

Ted
Yup, Correct Ted...slight Brain infarction there...
Old 08-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #50
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Get home propulsion - strange ideas

Or, to take the get home idea another direction, you could rig a simple kite-surfing kite. This discussion seems to agree one could get around 5hp out of a kite, with enough wind.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2376805

“Same kite as in example (1.), attached to a Honda Civic with tires overinflated to reduce resistance, on a broad reach on an airport runway, with wind blowing like !@#$%, chicken loop mechanically fastened to car (pilot couldn't possibly hold it), going 50 mph with 40 lbs resistance (rolling resistance only, apparent wind over the beam): power = 5.3 hp”
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #51

City: North NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
I always wondered about using a electric motor out of a ac forklift when I was working on them for a purpose like this.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #52
DDW
Guru

I'd normally shy away from hydraulics due to their propensity to leak, but in a complex offshore boat a hydraulic aux motor might make sense. I'd probably go with mechanical drive on the largish gen set if building from scratch, fewer maintenance issues.

The smallest Yanmar was 18hp, and quite heavy if I remember. There seem to be some around the world working on lighter ones. I'd be happy enough with the dink pushing on the hip, I think it would do what I want - till I ran out of fuel in a couple of hours. Plenty of diesel though.

A kite would get you somewhere downwind, if there was wind. In the PNW, no reliable wind, anytime there is some it always seems to be going the wrong way. Also a kite requires someone to fly it usually. There have been some automated controls experimented with for use in propulsion, but a large kite and hardware may cost as much or more than a small diesel, and is more fragile.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #53
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post

Looks nice. I have an older Torqeedo and agree that the Spirit does look like it has taken the Torqeedo and made some improvements.

The Navy looks like it would be a very nice alternative to a small gas outboard. The issues of course are cost and range.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #54
FF
Guru

For the larger boat the 18ft Boston Whalers have had diesel IO installed

.Almost unlimited range .

Heck of a dink!!

When the Liquid Piston diesels become available , a 50 lb 40 HP engine may solve lota of hassles

When development of the fully packaged engine is complete, the 30kW X4 engine is expected to weigh just 30 lbs (13.6 kg) and fit into a 10"x10"x10" box, while achieving 45% brake thermal efficiency—approximately an order of magnitude smaller and lighter than traditional piston diesel engines, and also 30% more efficient. The efficient, lightweight, and powerful rotary Diesel/JP-8 X4 engine offers a disruptive power solution for direct as well as hybrid electric propulsion and power generation.

DARPA awards additional $2.5M to LiquidPiston for development of ...

www.greencarcongress.com/2018/06/20180626-lp.html

Jun 26, 2018 - LiquidPiston's X Engines are non-Wankel rotary embodiments of the company's ... (2018) “Preliminary Development of a 30 kW Heavy Fueled ...
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #55

City: Kiln,MS
Ok. Something totally off the wall. What about a parasail chute? They seem to be pretty good size and cost doesn't look terrible. With a little work you could probably get two going at the same time.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #56
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #57
Guru

Old 08-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #58

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowLou View Post
I always wondered about using a electric motor out of a ac forklift when I was working on them for a purpose like this.
That's exactly what the young fellow of the Sailing Uma youtube videos DIY'd on his sailboat.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #59
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post

This was the idea I had with the rigging a regular kite-sailing kite to the boat somehow, but it may require constant attention to keep it flying, and that would be tiresome.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:21 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
This was the idea I had with the rigging a regular kite-sailing kite to the boat somehow, but it may require constant attention to keep it flying, and that would be tiresome.
Not as tiresome as rowing