Old 12-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #141
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Buddy boat? I don't think that two weak sisters is the answer to very many problems, especially the one posed by Murray. A get home engine (or twins) is common throughout the pleasure boating world for those of us without adequate spare parts coverage and an Engineer or capable mechanic onboard to fix the more difficult issues as they arise.

The question is vessel specific and not too complicated once you get out on the water -- for a single engine smaller vessel, will a trolling motor get you out of most (but not all) trouble? To me the answer is yes. I have fished with a trolling OB 9.9 HP motor, on a 30' twin diesel boat, that included its own hydraulic steering system. In seas where the up and down on the transom was less than about 2 feet and winds no more than moderate it worked pretty good. More weather than that we simply went around the point to calmer waters. To steer this vessel with the trolling motor in narrow passage tidal currrents of say more than 2 knots it would be of little use, at best.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #142
Guru

City: coos bay
[QUOTE=Marin;120431]
To my mind, an option isn't an option if it's known beforehand that it isn't going to work. This was the case with the options you mentioned--- dropping an anchor, deploying a sea anchor, and so on. None of these would have worked in this particular situation, my friend knew it, so he focused on the one thing he could do that might work in the few minutes he had to try something. And, as it turned out, that option didn't work either. But it was the only one that had a chance of working.

science teaches us that one never knows what will happen untill it is tried. U may think u do but the results are seldom as you evision. I have spent a lifetime preforming good science that must stand up to the scrutiny of the scientific community, the courts, and i learned early on never to rule out anything untill it has been tried. The results often surprise you

bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #143
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
bfloyd4445 said:

"science teaches us that one never knows what will happen untill it is tried."

Precisely! So please floyd, buy your DeFever and try out the narrow rock strewn PNW passages and report back. Nothing like a slow heavy boat to start learning this narrow passage strong current stuff. Experiences from a SeaRay are not relevant to traversing Dodd Narrows, Seymour Narrows, Wrangell Narrows or Dent Rapids in a slow trawler.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote