Get home outboard for 32' Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
My single engine trawler weighs approximately 16,000 LBS. What horsepower, in an outboard motor, would be required to push her 6-7 knots?

Attachments

• seahorse ll - 06.jpg
    seahorse ll - 06.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 104
6 -7K get home?

That will take huge HP.

With a 32 ft boat it is perhaps 26. 28 ft LWL.

A speed of 4 to 5 K would be much more realistic .

A good OB bracket and the engine from a condom boat of about 20 hp should do.

16,000 divided by 2240 is only 6 or 7 , 2x that is only 13 or 14 , so a 20hp OB should be fine.

To contemplate this you should find which OB in that size range has the largest reduction gear ratio , and can swing the largest propeller.

Would be no big deal to loose some top speed from the dink, and mount a spare PUSHER prop when using the OB as a get home.

You could also operate with the dink alongside ,tug boat style , in smooth water only.

FF

I have tied to the side of 32-42 foot sailboats and towed them in with the dinghy, 25 hp motor moves them 4-5 knots in smooth water pretty easily. I have towed about 12 sailboats in to the dock or out of the mud in the past couple years....

Troy is right. a good "get home" is your dinghy, tied alongside. (don't try towing). Works in protected waters, anyway.

The old yanmars are fine , but do you want to lift that weight aboard every time you launch the dink?

They used to be aviliable in the Bahamas & Mexico , but they didnt meet LA standards.

The other get home is the genset hooked to the boats shaft.

OK with SOME trannys , and stuffing boxes . Hyd is the easiest to spec out but as the EV cars get junked a package from one of them might be cheaper.

FF

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom