Old 09-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #21

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
My NL gen question. I have a 6kw, 2007 vintage, in enclosure. Any tricks for making those access panel thumb latches stay closed. I have tried using a locknut on the latch bolt, It has helped but they still loosen up and then you get noisey vibrations.

Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: REEL INN
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Commander 36 Tournament Fisherman
2007 = the previous generation sound shield, with trigger latches. We have moved on from those for a reason, the hammer (bolt) does loosen.

The best advise is to remove the hammer and paint the threads with locktite blue, adjust and let it setup. from there you should be OK, until you may have to adjust again...then you may have to re-locktite. Also, there should be a small piece of UHMW at the contact point of the hammer - make sure it is still there.

Another thing to look at is are the threads stripped in the latch assembly?

pacopico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:57 PM   #23
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 43
I'm no expert but I have owned 4 northern lights and all have been fantastic compared to an early Onan, all NL had over 8000 hrs before any major repair. Current boat had an Onan only because I couldn't get it changed early enough in the build.

What ever you choose good luck.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
I'm no expert but I have owned 4 northern lights and all have been fantastic compared to an early Onan, all NL had over 8000 hrs before any major repair. Current boat had an Onan only because I couldn't get it changed early enough in the build.

What ever you choose good luck.
We've owned 4 NL's and have never owned a Beta. As we've had no issues with the NL's, that would be my choice, but it might be different for someone with experience with Beta. My only history is 4 NL, 2 Kohler, and now 2 Onan. While the Onan wasn't really a preference, we've had no problems so far with them. We've had no issues with the Kohler either although know people who have had with older versions.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:49 AM   #25
FF
Guru

DZus work on aircraft that shake a lot,

DZUS® Quarter-Turn Fasteners - Southco

DZUSĀ® Quarter-Turn Fasteners - Southco

Southco, Inc

DZUS® Push-To-Close, Turn-To-Open Quarter Turn Fasteners ... D4 - DZUS® Standard-Line Quarter-Turn Fasteners (768) ...

Skybolt Aeromotive & Aerospace Fasteners

Skybolt Aeromotive & Aerospace Fasteners

Quick release aircraft cowling and racing fasteners 1/4 turn skybolt. Airplane panel fastener kits aircraft fasteners turnlock 1/4 turn.

Search Results for dzus fasteners - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 ...

www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=dzus+fasteners
Summit Racing Equipmen
Results 1 - 10 of 419 - 419 Results Found For "dzus fasteners" ... Collector Tethers 4010-500D-P - Collector Tethers Quick Fasteners. ... Quarter Turn Hex Head DZUS Fasteners - .500 Dome 10pk.

JEGS Quarter Turn Fasteners | JEGS High Performance

www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Quarter-Turn-Fasteners/.../-1

Quarter-turn fasteners are commonly used on body work so it can be removed quickly. We offer a wide selection of quarter-turn fasteners and related parts to suit ...
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:30 AM   #26

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: St Christopher
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 50ft tri-cabin
Had westerbeke, noisy, expensive parts, tend to have oil leaks. I always seemed to be doing some maintenace to it.
Had two kubota's Heavier engines run smoother, much-much quieter. The last one (15kw) now has 5000 hrs on it and is 3 years old. Apart from reg oil/filter changes purrs like a kitten. The only problem I have has just developed the front seal on the Raw water pump has started to drip. A problem for the end of the month when we'll be back on board for our autumn 3 month cruise.
Martin J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:33 AM   #27
Guru

City: Doha
According to BetaMarine, the gensets are fitted with Mecc Alte alternator ends.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #28
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Go with the Northern Lights Generator. You won't regret it. In your gut you know Beta is second choice.
Our NL is a 753 is an 8kw built in 2001. We just bought the boat last year. I decided to go through everything for PM and was pleasantly surprised.
The raw water cooling coil is designed for easy access even when it's been neglected.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1473877813.867677.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	56351
All the service items are on one side for easy access

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1473877896.340078.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	56352
The exhaust flange is cast stainless steel. I replaced mine sine it was 14 years old, but it was still in good shape.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1473878031.921756.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	56353
And after 1500 hours of running the generator coil enclosure was clean, without black dust or signs or wear.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1473878169.108068.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	56354
The factory support is unmatched. So is NL Parts and Technical help. When you call for assistance and they give you the part number, they will also give you the retail price so a dealer cannot rape you. Try that with Yanmar. They will never tell you the retail price and so their dealers F#*k you every time.
Hind sight will confirm NL was the right choice.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #29
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Kinda funny to hear brand trashing. Quite frequently your genset diesel may be Kubota, Mitsubishi or Izusu- just rebadged.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:35 PM   #30

City: Cronulla
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Kinda funny to hear brand trashing. Quite frequently your genset diesel may be Kubota, Mitsubishi or Izusu- just rebadged.
So true!, I have worked on Diesels - all models for over 50 yrs. you still hear this type of comment all the time, recently worked on customers tender motors - Mercury 4 Stroke Outboards, turns out they are rebadged Tohatsu's!.

Bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote