Old 02-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #1

City: Maumelle, AR
Vessel Name: Missing Link
Vessel Model: 1986 Albin 34 Family Cruiser
Loud Generator

As we are solving one problem after another on our newly purchased older boat so that it is ready for a cruise, we sometimes run out of ideas for solving a problem. Our diesel generator falls into that category. The generator is the Westerbeke 4.4 KW diesel which used a two cylinder Mitsubishi engine. It is loud. We are looking for ways to quieten the monster.

A couple friends have tried the full jacket. They are quieter, but both have since had problems with the engines running hot. Not sure why, but with a two for two record, I am staying away.

Therefore, we are wondering about sound absorbing materials. Has anyone tried this method?
bikeandboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandboat View Post
A couple friends have tried the full jacket. They are quieter, but both have since had problems how could this happen since water is the cooling medium, not air circulation with the engines running hot. Not sure why, but with a two for two record, I am staying away. Therefore, we are wondering about sound absorbing materials. Has anyone tried this method?

Westerbeke has made and sold sound enclosures for a very long time. Go to their website for a look see. To quiet the exhaust look up Centek water lift mufflers - very commonly used on gensets. Another trick is to use soft mounts, these are on the WB site as well.

I use all three of these "run quiet techniques" on my 12.5 WB and it is VERY quiet with little vibration
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
When I bought my boat the owner of the yard that was putting it back together after it got shipped from MI to OR suggested I add a "generator exhaust water separator". I didn't know what it was or what it did so he gave me the "idiot's guide" commentary.

Basically it separates the water from the exhaust and shoots it out below the boat. All that comes out the back is the air from the exhaust. When you're standing at the aft stbd corner of the boat you can hardly hear it run it's so quiet. No burbling, no gurgling sounds, just a quiet hum that's barely perceptible.

Since I only heard the gen run during the sea trials I couldn't really remember what it sounded like before he added the water separator, but it sure is quiet now. It's a 15kw Westerbeke.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. To address the exhaust, it is not a problem. I am using a vernalift (Centrek) muffler. The exhaust if not loud. This boat has the generator under the salon sole, which is common on this size vessel. It is very loud in the salon. Our previoius boat was a 1970 Hatteras 53 with the original 15KW Onan generator. This one was under the galley sole. The noise level was much lower in the galley with the 15KW than it is in the salon of the Mainship 34 with the 4.4 KW.

I understand the water cooled question and that is why I said I did not understand the reason for the overheating with the jackets. I would guess than even a water cooled unit would give off some heat to the atmospere, or anyway it seems to get warm in the engine compartment with the generator running on any boat I have been on with a water cooled generator.

Just wondering if sound absorbing material would make a difference. It sounds like it would help, but I would like to see if anyone else has tried it before I take on such a project.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
My 8KW Westerbeke is just a whisper below the main salon floor with it's enclosure....
The engine which is easily talked over all but drowns out the genset...and stadalone the TV is easily heard and sleeping you hear but just a windlike noise...certainly no louder.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Exclamation

Come aboard my boat and listen to the soothing sound of Jimmy 2-53.you will return to your boat and you will barely notice the whispering Westerbeke !
2DASEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
2DASEA,
You have to post some pictures of your ship! She looks awesome, you and Delfin with your North Sea look
Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

don't want to hijack the thread, just a couple of shots of my money pit
Attached Thumbnails
Steelhead before.jpg   Steelhead after.jpg   Steelhead floats.jpg  
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DASEA View Post
Come aboard my boat and listen to the soothing sound of Jimmy 2-53.you will return to your boat and you will barely notice the whispering Westerbeke !
Actually, I did just that a number of years ago. 2-71 generator I believe. The loudest one piece of pleasure boat equipment I have ever heard.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandboat View Post
Actually, I did just that a number of years ago. 2-71 generator I believe. The loudest one piece of pleasure boat equipment I have ever heard.
They don't call'm Screamin Jimmies for nothing!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Sound Shield?
We don't need no stinkin sound shield!
Attached Thumbnails
jimmy.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #12

City: Punta Gorda
We have a 4.4 Westerbeke and yes it's loud. I'm sure the noise comes from the air intake which doesn't have a silencer. Actually, it's just a hole in the head under the exhaust manifold and behind the solenoid. I've been thinking about fitting a pipe to this hole and installing a silencer.

I've got a question for you. Does your generator jump all around and shake while it's running? Mine does and I don't know if this is normal for this engine or it's a problem with my engine.
amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
I had an Onan 4kw on my Prairie. It was fairly loud. There is a local guy around here that makes sound enclosures for the chemical plants. He made a custom one for me. It velcroed together and he left Velcro panels at all of the service points. It was a very good job and cost a whopping $500! So yes, there are ways to make a sound deadening enclosure. I suggest you mine the services that may not be marine related.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
What material did he use, John?
Old 08-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
What material did he use, John?
I am not sure. The panels were 3-4 inches thick. They were vinyl covering some sort of insulation. It was heavy stuff. Very cleanly done. I wish I could provide more info. I may have some pics on my home computer but I doubt they would reveal anything.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #16
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
John,

Do you remember who did the work, or have a way to contact him? Boomarang still roars in the pilothouse.

Larry
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #17
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
My Onan 7.5 is a real "tooth rattler". It's bolted to a piece of plywood that's screwed to the stringers. I'm convinced it would be much better if I had something in between to dampen the vibration. If I could reach all the screws without removing the genset, I'd like to just lift up the plywood and slide in a piece of rigid foam or something.

The water lift muffler makes the exhaust almost silent, a guy 50' behind me at a mooring once didn't even know I'd had it running when I talked to him later.

I would also like to learn more about the insulating blanket covering.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Has anyone tried spray foam? I was going to spray the ceiling above the gensets and the engine when I get to that point. 2Dasea. That is a mean looking rig you got there. I like it.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #19

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
I have never used them, but these guys look likethey do exactly what you want:
Custom generator covers | Great Southern Insulation

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #20
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Hey! Now THAT'S pretty slick there Scott. Might be what I would want too.