Old 08-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
As far as I can tell, Panbo is the name of a blog, not a manufacturer of load shedding controllers. But it's a generic enough name that it could be I missed them.

I did stumble onto this one from Paneltronics that might do the job. At $584 I guess it's not too bad, but I've got quite a few other upgrades ahead of that on my list.

I also found a few commercial ones like this from ABB, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like the price any better.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
[QUOTE=CaptTom;172195]As far as I can tell, Panbo is the name of a blog, not a manufacturer of load shedding controllers. But it's a generic enough name that it could be I missed them.
QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct, sorry for the mixup ... I saw it on a site and thought Panbo was the manufacturer.

If it only costs $584 for the complete setup and does what it claims, it is a steal.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
As far as I can tell, Panbo is the name of a blog, not a manufacturer of load shedding controllers. But it's a generic enough name that it could be I missed them.

I did stumble onto this one from Paneltronics that might do the job. At $584 I guess it's not too bad, but I've got quite a few other upgrades ahead of that on my list.

I also found a few commercial ones like this from ABB, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like the price any better.
Tom

Thanks very much.

The unit from paneltronics looks like it would work for a boat. It appears to be self contained.

The one from ABB is just a load shed controller. This is what I was talking about. I can do this with a protective relay as well. It has outputs to go to contactors, so you need a panel with contactors in it to make this a system.

I sell the contactors, I can sell the load shed controller. I have no source for the load shed controller and contactors as an integrated unit.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #24
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I looked at that marine one again, and it has its limitations. The loads are shed for a pre-determined time (AC a little longer than the others) so it's not smart enough to bring the loads back on line only when there's available power. It only works with ONE 30- or 50-Amp main. So if you have two 30A feeding two main breakers, you're out of luck. It does seem to allow different "max" values depending on whether you're being fed by shore power or the on-board genset, which is a nice feature. But again, useless to me because my genset feeds two different mains.

I don't think the price is unreasonable, just not justifiable for me because I have more critical items still on my list.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I looked at that marine one again, and it has its limitations. The loads are shed for a pre-determined time (AC a little longer than the others) so it's not smart enough to bring the loads back on line only when there's available power. It only works with ONE 30- or 50-Amp main. So if you have two 30A feeding two main breakers, you're out of luck.
Are we reading different data sheets?

The one I have says "Automatically restores power to ... loads when total load current drops below 30A for 120V 30A shore cords, 50A for 120V 50A shore cords; or 30A to 75A (field adjustable) for generators."

As far as the ONE main, it refers to one unit on one cord. If you have two cords and a split buss you should be able to shed 6 loads, or 5 cords on 5 split busses you can shed 15 loads. The box doesn't know how many busses are running elsewhere, only the one it controls. If that were not the case you could only use one of the things in the whole marina.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #26
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
People in this forum thought I was crazy for upgrading 2-30 amp services to a 50 amp 120/240 which produces 12,000 watts or 12 KW...and living aboard you can easily exceed that amount like the average house nowadays needs more than a 100 amp service.

The average home today requires a 200 amp service. Most larger homes have a double 200 amp service.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #27
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
The average home today requires a 200 amp service. Most larger homes have a double 200 amp service.
I know...trying to explain myself 6 months ago to some was like pulling teeth. Then again I live aboard and they didn't so trying to relate a 2-3 week annual cruise with a propane stove aboard and they had all the answers.

Even if you tried to explain to them...run your house on one or two 30 amp cords and see how many times you'll be chasing breakers was lost on them.

Again..I live days or weeks at anchor on 12volts if I have to...but when that's over...it's nice to have the conveniences probably most of us have gotten used to.

Except there is this one guy in Alaska....hmmmm....maybe he is used to it.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #28
Guru

But he is now phantom...
Old 08-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
psneeld: I have to ask, what are you running on your boat that you need 12KW or more?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #30
Guru

It's very possible to be running 2 stove top burners, microwave, hot water heater, 2 ACs or 2 space heaters, freezer, fridge, electric tools, misc electronics, lights, batt charger.....

I don't need 12kw...but I sure need more than 6kw....though I have thought about waiting till after the new propane cooktop install...the electric cooking is usually the killer.

It's also the way the boat is wired...like many with 2 ACs on one 30 amp circuit...if I split that up it would help but is still complicated for the "average crew" to understand load shedding prior to the cb popping. Much of last year I had a space heater on the AC circuit but still drove the crew crazy when I would tie up to a 30 amp and nothing else...having a 50 amp would force me more times to tie into that than just a single 30.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
But he is now phantom...
Actually not...he's BAAAACK!
Old 08-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:

Actually not...he's BAAAACK!
Sneaky bastid, isn't he...

Old 08-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Sneaky bastid, isn't he...

Not the guy I talking about....
Old 08-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:

Not the guy I talking about....
Just a quip...
Old 08-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Just a quip...
I don't think he would enjoy being called a "quip"....Alaskans can be sensitive to that....
Old 08-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

Alaskans are rugged individualists who are not sensitive to anything besides the scent of wild game and federal funds. They do get upset when people comment about their pursuit of federal funding though ...
Old 08-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
It's very possible to be running 2 stove top burners, microwave, hot water heater, 2 ACs or 2 space heaters, freezer, fridge, electric tools, misc electronics, lights, batt charger.....

I don't need 12kw...but I sure need more than 6kw....though I have thought about waiting till after the new propane cooktop install...the electric cooking is usually the killer.

It's also the way the boat is wired...like many with 2 ACs on one 30 amp circuit...if I split that up it would help but is still complicated for the "average crew" to understand load shedding prior to the cb popping. Much of last year I had a space heater on the AC circuit but still drove the crew crazy when I would tie up to a 30 amp and nothing else...having a 50 amp would force me more times to tie into that than just a single 30.
OK. The cooking with AC can definitely add the amps. We routinely use 3 burners plus the oven. I do like cooking with gas.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: GA
Vessel Name: Soggy Dollar
Vessel Model: 480 Sea Ray motor yacht
Thanks for all the responses and advice. I currently have a 10 kw and with two air units, ice maker, two refers and a freezer with all the other assorted gadgets, it never bogs down. Based on all the comments with load deferers, power management and new electronic stuff thats way over my head, I am believing that just a bit more KW is better than not enough! I found a Defever with a 12 kw and much newer. I think thats the way we will go. Thanks so much for the advice and more than that, the education. Great forum!
soggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
psneeld: I have to ask, what are you running on your boat that you need 12KW or more?
Exactly

I do not live aboard my boat, but I do spend quite a few days and nights aboard dockside. During that time I do everything I would do if I lived aboard. I wash my clothes, shower, cook, etc...

Except for air conditioning, which I do not have I have an all electric boat. Stove, oven, water heater, etc.. My heat is diesel though, but I do have electric heat as well and I have run the boat on that, all winter long.

With my boat I do have to manage loads when on a single 30 amp shore power, if and only if I'm running the electric heat, or if we've been running without shore power since my battery charger is programmed to max out at 20 amps AC input.

If I connect the 50 amp cord I've never tripped the shore power breakers, and I've tried. The reason I've tried is that I leave the boat heated by the built in electric heaters all winter to keep mold away. I set the thermostats at 45 degrees which works great.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #40
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I have a 12 KW NL along with 54,000 btu of AC/heat. When the gen is running to keep it properly loaded, I pretty much run everything on the boat. As the gen usually runs at cooking times, 1 to 2 hours a day of gen time will usually keep the batteries in a good range of charge. Once you start trawler style cruising monitoring your battery condition becomes critical
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote