generator exhaust muffler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
I want to move ours. *It is in the way where it currently resides (I am talking about the fiberglass muffler thingy). *I can move it to starboard just about 2' and it will be in a very good spot. *We have a newer (275 hours) 8.0 KW northern lights generator. *The muffler is set on a platform level with the drain pan and literally just about right next to it. *So my retarded question is- any "standards" or issues I should be aware of that require the muffler to be X distance away from the generator itself or any angles/% of fall the exhaust lines must follow to keep things working right?

I know I ask a lot of retarded questions but I just never had to ponder such things in our newer past boats! *:)

Thanks all for the help.

-- Edited by Woodsong on Wednesday 9th of February 2011 08:03:29 AM

Woodsong wrote:So my retarded question is- any "standards" or issues I should be aware of that require the muffler to be X distance away from the generator itself or any angles/% of fall the exhaust lines must follow to keep things working right?
Look at this site and if you still have questions, contact them. Contact them anyway and don't worry about asking "retarded questions."

http://www.centekindustries.com/product_descriptions.html

Thanks! The owners manual link was very helpful. Attached is the picture from that manual that best describes my set up. It is a water lift muffler I do believe....i.e. canister type muffler bolted down at the base and water does shoot out the thru hull in spurts like all water lift mufflers.
In looking through the manual, it appeals all will be ok if the falls are a minimum of 1/2" per foot run and all other specs met. It does say the closer the muffler is to the unit the better. I will get the serial # off the generator this weekend and call northern lights and see what they say. It would not be the end of the world if it can't be moved but if I can move it and also move the house battery banks, the accessibility in my engine room would be a night and day difference. I need to build the support platforms for the batteries and the one to starboard can be built to also hold the generator muffler and once I do all of that I can then access the engine room from the hatch under the forward stateroom step down from the salon and make my way back uninterrupted by equipment. Right now i have to scurry down through the salon sole which works fine but would be best to have unfettered access from all sides/angles.

So I will ask another question here. I have never taken apart one of these water lift mufflers. What they heck do they look like inside and how do they mechanically work? Not sure how many folks look at their muffler and really ponder how the thing functions, etc.

-- Edited by Woodsong on Wednesday 9th of February 2011 09:20:01 AM

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 106
Woodsong wrote:

So I will ask another question here. I have never taken apart one of these water lift mufflers. What they heck do they look like inside and how do they mechanically work? Not sure how many folks look at their muffler and really ponder how the thing functions, etc.

-- Edited by Woodsong on Wednesday 9th of February 2011 09:20:01 AM
******** Tony, There is not much too them.* The outlet has a dip tube that goes almost down to the bottom.* The exhaust water and gases enter the top and it starts to fill.As the level covers the bottom of the outlet tube the pressure forces the water and gases up and out.* This drowns out some of the sound and also makes the spurting you noted.** JohnP

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom