Generator air filter wet with oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mahal

Guru
The foam air filter on my 8 KW NL genset (M753k.3) with 2200 hours has some oil on it. It is running fine but obviously, there's a little blow-by. What should my next step be? Other than worn piston rings, what are other possible causes?

Is that enough oil to cause a runaway?

Mahal
Are you burning much oil? Is the exhaust showing blue smoke? Does the breather recirculate to intake filter? How much of an amperage load do you normally run?

Maybe just clean the filter out every 100 hours or so and run her well loaded if no signs of oil burning. May not be a problem at all.

Mahal
Are you burning much oil? Is the exhaust showing blue smoke? Does the breather recirculate to intake filter? How much of an amperage load do you normally run?

Maybe just clean the filter out every 100 hours or so and run her well loaded if no signs of oil burning. May not be a problem at all.

Not burning oil and no smoke. I did look to see if there was a breather connection but there's not. I think it's underloaded most of the time as I only power the battery charger, fridge/freezer (cold plate), water heater and the occasional cooking.

I will wash the filter regularly and observe. Thanks.

Mahal, could someone have cleaned the foam filter and over oiled it? It`s common to oil foam filters to help them catch the unwanted, I do it on my lawnmower, and it`s easy to overdo the oil.

Mahal, could someone have cleaned the foam filter and over oiled it? It`s common to oil foam filters to help them catch the unwanted, I do it on my lawnmower, and it`s easy to overdo the oil.

That's an interesting thought. I've only had this boat for 9 months and this is the first time I've explored the genset in more depth. More reason for me to wash the filter and observe. Thanks.

An air filter damp with oil on these is no big deal provided it is running fine in all other regards.

Gotta listen to the voice of experience!

From a genset expert....

"There is only a narrow piece of gasket separating the intake manifold from the rocker box and all the oil and oil vapor in that engine. If the filter really is wet with oil, a prudent owner might want to examine the condition of the rocker cover gasket.
Either that or the engine room is full of oil mist but I think that would be obvious in other areas"

From a genset expert....

"There is only a narrow piece of gasket separating the intake manifold from the rocker box and all the oil and oil vapor in that engine. If the filter really is wet with oil, a prudent owner might want to examine the condition of the rocker cover gasket.
Either that or the engine room is full of oil mist but I think that would be obvious in other areas"

Thanks for this. I will definitely examine this possibility as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom