Old 12-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #1

City: South Puget Sound, WA
Gasoline Engines in a 43

I am considering a 43 foot Tollycraft, actually yearning for one is more accurate.* I note that they come with several power options one of them being gas 454 mercruisers.

My intent is to use the boat at basically displacement speed.**Are there any problems running a gas engine continuously at low rpm in this application?* Will this engine/boat combination run at hull speed provide economical cruising?

Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Gasoline Engines in a 43

How many hours on the engines? How many hours do you plan to use the boat per year? I would be very, very, very, very, very, let me say again, very hesitant to buy a 43 tollycraft with gasers UNLESS your use is less than 75 hours a year and you will only be lake boating with no real cruising. There are a host of reasons I say this:
1) Large, gas powered boats, particularly in this market, are very, very, very, very hard to sell, particularly if the preferred power plant are diesels.
2) E10 fuel and now potentially E15 fuel are serious items of concern and E10 is already having negative impacts on gas powered boats. E15 will be a guaranteed disaster.
3) Gas engines are inherently less safe than diesel boats due to carbon monoxide and the fact that if there is a leak they go BOOM.
4) You will miss out on the low end torque and better handling of diesels if you get gasers.

Personally, I owned a 38 gas powered sedan before I bought my trawler and I promised myself I'll never own a larger gas powered boat again. The only reason I could see getting gasers is if the price differential between that boat and the diesels is huge and worth the downside. As well, if you are honestly just lake boating and not going far from your marina, gasers can work fine. Would I ever buy a boat that large with gasers on purpose though if I was going to cruise at all or wanted to keep the boat a long time....for me the answer to that is no.
Your mileage may vary though and a lot of it depends on your intended use and cruising plans/cruising waters. In this market you ought to be able to get a diesel powered boat for the cost of gasers so I'd wait for the diesels in the right boat.

All that being said, the truth is that a gas powered 43 is better than no boat at all!!! *

-- Edited by Woodsong on Sunday 19th of December 2010 02:45:11 PM

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Gasoline Engines in a 43

You should be fine. Just be sure the engine comes up to temp. That goes for all engines. If it runs too cold, improper or faulty thermostat, that could lead to problems and cost economy.

As far as actual economy I can't say. I suspect it will be ok as long as you really understand that displaement speed is going to be 7.5 to 8 knot. If you are pushing a big bow wave, but not on plane and digging a big hole and the stern dropping witha attendant big bow rise you will not get good economy. I see all kinds of people doing this.

I'd guess your max displ. speed ~ 8.4k so you should stay below that. Push that limit and it will cost a bunch for the speed increase.

Get a couple of vacuum guages for the manifolds and learn to use them. There will be a point where the vac. drops sharply with a very small increase of boat speed. You want to stay below that.

Of course your idea of economy and mine may be very different. What do you expect?** Find and talk to some other owners or similar boats if you can.

-- Edited by C lectric on Sunday 19th of December 2010 02:51:01 PM
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Guru

RE: Gasoline Engines in a 43

I would side with woodsong. A 43 ft boat with gassers seems mis-matched.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Gas engines always (at any load) have a fuel/air mixture of about 14 to 15 to 1. Diesels can be as low-as 60-1 at idle and near 15-1 at WOT so diesels are about as efficient/inefficient as gas engines at full throttle so you can see where that leaves you at near idle speed. One can push a 32' 8 ton trawler at 7 knots w a 120hp diesel burning 1.5 to 2 gph but that won't happen w a gas engine. I'd guess 3 or 4 gph*** ....maybe/probably worse. In this example if you had a 40hp gas engine you'd be better off burn wise. That's the bad news. Good news is that you'd have a very smooth and quiet engine for a great ride in your boat. More good news is that you can under load gas engines to almost any degree you want because they generate lots of heat at very low speeds (there goes the efficiency) but as C lectric says you need to keep up the coolant temp to propper levels (190 approx). I have a friend in Washington state that has 2 318 Chryslers in his 38' wood Tollycraft. He runs 7-9 knots all the time.
I'd call him if you like.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45

Not sure what the fuel tanks are made of in the Tollycraft, but ethanol destroys some (not all) types of fiberglass fuel tanks. This type of deterioration can take years. Would really suck to end up with a bilge of E15 (spark Boom).

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Gasoline Engines in a 43

I am familiar with the Tolly line, the 43 seldom if at all had gassers. Is it aftermarket conversion per chance? The GM 8.2 diesel is quite common in the 43. The 43 is one very fine trawler.*I've been on a 43 that originally had 8.2s and new John Deeres were installed. Is this vessel on yachtworld.com, where did you see it?

The 44, a very different hull from the 43,*had gas and diesel, I've been on several. Go to theTolly website and look up the specific model information - there is lots of good info there. The 44s make great conversions to diesel, many have been done. This past summer I was on a 44 that had been recently converted using Cummins 6bts, a lovely boat it was.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Sunday 19th of December 2010 04:25:22 PM
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #8

You folks really nailed most of the main pro and con points the way I expected them to be. Nobody mentioned the lack of diesel odor, the number one reason I am interested in the gasser. The number one biggest reason I don't think I'll go there is the big bang theory.

While we both hate the smell of deisel, I am afraid of gasoline explosion even more.

Is the 60:1 mix the reason that people say that deisels have less carbon monoxide danger?

We intend to take our next boat up the Inside Passage after retirement. Perhaps we may go all the way to Skagway, who knows.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #9
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Budds Outlet wrote:

You folks really nailed most of the main pro and con points the way I expected them to be. Nobody mentioned the lack of diesel odor, the number one reason I am interested in the gasser. The number one biggest reason I don't think I'll go there is the big bang theory.

While we both hate the smell of deisel, I am afraid of gasoline explosion even more.

Is the 60:1 mix the reason that people say that deisels have less carbon monoxide danger?

We intend to take our next boat up the Inside Passage after retirement. Perhaps we may go all the way to Skagway, who knows.
The standard arguments apply, and all of them seem to be here.* Now, let's talk about actuality.* Many people who used the cost argument against diesels, said I can buy alot of gasoline for that cost difference.* True-------if they will.* What I seem to find is that the gasoline boats sit at the dock, and the diesels go cruising.* It is hard to stomach the high marina prices and less efficiency of gasoline.* So, to me if you want a dock queen that could be hard to sell a gasoline boat is the way to go.* If you want a boat for cruising and resale, you can't beat a diesel.* YMMV.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
Guru

I'm not much afraid of the "Big Boom". I've only seen one boat go boom. I'm 71 and I've been all around boats since I was 10. The people who go boom are irresponsible, stupid or both. Complacency enters into the picture w everybody to some degree though. Once you've cranked a gas boat up 639 times and haven't blown up it seems safe. But if a fuel line ruptured while underway pissing gasoline all over the place * * * ..well * * ...but Iv'e never heard of a responsible person blowing themselves up. I'd put gas engines in my boat if not for the obvious reasons for the smoothness and quietness. *A very smooth and quiet boat would be almost ecstasy to me.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #11

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:

I am familiar with the Tolly line, the 43 seldom if at all had gassers. Is it aftermarket conversion per chance? The GM 8.2 diesel is quite common in the 43. The 43 is one very fine trawler.*I've been on a 43 that originally had 8.2s and new John Deeres were installed. Is this vessel on yachtworld.com, where did you see it?

Yes, its on Yachtworld.com*
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980.../United-States

*There are two others on Puget Sound for about the same price and they are both deisels.* One has the 8.2 Detroits and the other has 3208 Cats.* I'm not budgeting a repower into a boat purchase so one of*the diesels is probably my most likey target unless another one comes on the market.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Gasoline Engines in a 43

You're in the right place to find a good Tolly. I would avoid the 8.2 diesel like the plague. I was on a 43 Tolly with 3208s, 210 hp NA version. It was a very nice vessel. The last year for the 43 was 1985 I believe. For grins, check out the 48s.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Sunday 19th of December 2010 06:08:57 PM
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #13
Guru

Gasoline Engines in a 43

Quote:
DavidM wrote:

I just went through the same, gas vs diesel, debate. The boat was built in gas or diesel and was a late 80s Cape Dory 28 Cruiser. The diesel boats were about $15K more than the gassers. I plan to use the boat for about 100 hours each year and*cruise at 12*kts where the gasser would use 9 gph and the diesel 6 gph. The difference would add up to about $1000 per year.

David
Hi David, good to see you over here.* I remember your discussion on the Downeast Cruisers site.* It was valid then as it is now.* As I said, YMMV.* I think there is a big difference between a 28' single run at displacement speeds and a 43'

I have a close friend with a 36' Carver that gets little use.* In fact he has run the entire ICW and many other places on my boat.* His is a planing hull that to cruise at the designed cruising speed costs almost $10.00 per mile in gasoline.* Because the diesel boats at the Yacht Club cruise at over 20 knots, he can't keep up with them without even exceeding that.* About $1,000.00 in fuel for a 250 mile trip is hard to take.* Therefore his boat sits at the dock and has been for sale for almost 2 years.* He and I had the same discussion before he ordered the boat.* Now, he wishes he had bought diesels.*

I think that his boat is right on the border line at where diesels make alot of sense.* A 43' I think is definitely in the diesel category.

I know that you will get alot of use out of the Cape Dory.* They are a pretty rugged boat with a salty, downeast look.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 19th of December 2010 07:53:16 PM
Old 12-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #14

Hey all, Say have any of you diesel powered folks been successful with the waste vegetable oil conversion.
There are some appealing deals on trawlers at the moment but the fuel cost is a real blister.
Been shopping for a sailboat but I would be jazzed to get a trawler and hedge my fuel expense.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

I am 45 and have seen 2 boats go BOOM!!! ANd one of those incidents haunts me to this day. CO poisoning would be the other reason. I like air conditioning. I like running the generator. I will not sleep if there is a gasoline engine running in my boat. Also, diesel engines thrive on work....gasoline engines cringe....I cringe when pushing them hard. I know my engine(s) enjoy a good workout if they are diesel powered. That may be an emotion, but that is why we are here now isn't it?
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Baker wrote:

I am 45 and have seen 2 boats go BOOM!!! ANd one of those incidents haunts me to this day. CO poisoning would be the other reason. I like air conditioning. I like running the generator. I will not sleep if there is a gasoline engine running in my boat. Also, diesel engines thrive on work....gasoline engines cringe....I cringe when pushing them hard. I know my engine(s) enjoy a good workout if they are diesel powered. That may be an emotion, but that is why we are here now isn't it?
Right you are John.* I know from previous discussion with Dave that he is sort of a minimalist and doesn't use a generator.* I have had two friends who were very knowledgable about boating die from CO poisoning on their boat.* One remained in a coma for 10 years before dieing.* They were anchored in a cove reading on a Sunday afternoon, and went to sleep*with generator and A/C going.* Even on my diesel powered boat I have CO detectors.

Like you, I have been in marinas when two boats went boom!* However, with careful maintenance, bilge checking, proper ventilation, and fume detectors that risk should be minimized.* If you can swing it, diesel is better.* If not I would just buy a gasoline powered boat and be very careful.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #17
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

I'm only 36 and I have already seen one boat go BOOM! 36' wellcraft express blew up @ the fuel dock at our marina and sent 2 to the hospital. Another couple that we are friends with almost died in a raft up with some friends (we happened to not be on the lake that weekend) due to CO poisoning in their less than 1 year old gas powered sedan cruiser made by a very well known builder.

But ignoring the gas safety issues.....as a yacht broker I simply cannot overstate to anyone reading this the difficulty you will have in selling a gas powered boat in this market. Only buy a gaser if you are getting it even WAY below today's FMV. My 2005 Silverton 38 Sport Bridge took 2 years to sell and it was absolutely, positively spotless and immaculate. The engine room was cleaner than most boat salons! The depreciation on a newer gas powered boat will make your head spin and you simply don't want an old gas powered boat with high hours. My advice to folks that buy larger gas powered boats these days is to put a sales sign on it the day after you buy as it will take you 2 years to find a buyer and by then you may actually be ready to sell.

I see this every day and really, I could not state enough how much happier you will be with the diesels. Besides, smelling like a diesel mechanic is kind of fun!

Really- the best suggestion I could make would be to see if you can sea trial the same boat with gasers and then another of same model with diesels. You will instantly know which power plant you would rather have...the difference in handling and performance is beyond unmistakable.

Ok...off my soapbox!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #18

Gasoline Engines in a 43

Woodsong, I really appreciate the advice from a broker that deals with this on a daily basis. I will most probably want to sell the boat during my lifetime and while I realize I will sell it for less than I pay for it, being able to sell it at all will be the most important.

As to smelling like a diesel mechanic, I don't think the Admiral will see that as a positive. However, daughter #2 says she likes the smell of WD-40! I think that must have come from helping me wrench my motorcycle when she was young. She's now a well paid mechnical engineer.

Do diesels more completely burn their fuel thus producing less CO than gas engines?

-- Edited by Budds Outlet on Sunday 19th of December 2010 09:43:11 PM

-- Edited by Budds Outlet on Sunday 19th of December 2010 09:43:52 PM
Old 12-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #19
Guru

Hey Woody,I didn't know you were a broker! I have a lot of respect for you not strut'in your business here on the forum and you've been a great contributor. Thank you Tony.
Spot on about the gas boat value. BUT * "You will instantly know which power plant you would rather have...the difference in handling and performance is beyond unmistakable."
I would think the test ride would heavily favor the gas boat w sooo much more smoothness and probably about 1/3 the noise. Then there's the smell issue. Dosn't bother me but many or even most don't like diesel smell. Any performance elements noticed on a test run should also favor gas. * * ?????????
Old 12-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #20
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Gee, if you don't smell diesel, you're not on a real boat.*... Feel blessed if you don't smell sewage.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote