Old 01-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #81
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Gasoline Engines in a 43

Moon,
That's interesting. I'm sorta look'in at a navy personnel boat conversion. I used to work at
Uniflite and I can't remember the details but I do remember about the fire retardant resin but I don't know if they (Uniflite) even had hull blisters. I have seen numerous Uniflites with lots of blisters on the gunnel's but don't recall seeing them on the hulls. The only boat that I'm very familiar with that has no blisters is the swedish built Albin. I've never heard of a Nordic Tug w blisters but I'll bet they have the plague too.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #82
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

Moon,
That's interesting. I'm sorta look'in at a navy personnel boat conversion. I used to work at
Uniflite and I can't remember the details but I do remember about the fire retardant resin but I don't know if they (Uniflite) even had hull blisters. I have seen numerous Uniflites with lots of blisters on the gunnel's but don't recall seeing them on the hulls. The only boat that I'm very familiar with that has no blisters is the swedish built Albin. I've never heard of a Nordic Tug w blisters but I'll bet they have the plague too.
Eric, Uniflites definitely had a problem with hull blisters below the waterline as did many other makes.* NT and others may have gotten on to using vinyl ester resins in the first 1 or 2 coats in the mold.* Vinyl ester is much more resistant to water intrusion and blistering.

I don't know what year John's Pilot is.* If it is a 2003 or 04 there is a good chance that the whole boat was layed up with Vinyl estor resins.* All Pilots then were built at the Midway GA plant.* The GA EPA was on them about emissions, so they discintinued using polyester resins until they could meet emissions requirements.* Anyone with one of those boats got a real deal.

In Uniflites defense, their hulls were virtually bullet proof.* They used no wood in the stringers.* They were built to last.* I would not be afraid of a Uniflite hull today.* You could fix the blisters and apply a couple of layers of vinyl estor or epoxy and have a great boat.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:22 AM   #83
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

I was under the impression some Willards had the same issues for the same reasons???

My Pilot is an 04. Are you saying they were vinylester and then went back to polyester when they moved?
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #84
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Gasoline Engines in a 43

Quote:
Baker wrote:

I was under the impression some Willards had the same issues for the same reasons???

My Pilot is an 04. Are you saying they were vinylester and then went back to polyester when they moved?
John, I am saying that there is a good chance of that. *I ordered my '04 Pilot for December of '03 delivery at the factory in St. Augustine (Midway GA plant had no way of on the water delivery).* I asked for the boat to be taken across the San Sebastion River*to St. Augustine Marine for bottom painting after an epoxy barrier coat was applied.* I was told that the expoxy barrier coat on that boat would be a total waste of money.* They then told me the story of why they were using vinyl ester resins and the big extra expense involved.

So, yes, I think your scenario is what happened.* If that boat is all vinyl ester resins, I Think that you have extra value there, or you at least have an extra selling point.* You might ask Luhrs to check the file on your boat to see if this is the case.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 9th of January 2011 08:22:31 AM
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #85
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

That I will. Very interesting.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote