Sorry, I have a short attention span.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #63
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
RE: Gasoline Engines in a 43

Quote:
Carey wrote:Sorry, I have a short attention span.
*Eh? Tell me again ...*what were we talking about?*
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #64
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Gasoline Engines in a 43

Nothing boring there....I was misinformed obviously....although I was pretty damn close!!!...... *I even went to wiki to see if I could check it but got too caught up in all the reading so I blew it off. Anyway, thanks for the write up. I am fascinated by diesel engines as well. I used to have some good pics of those 2400hp babies and went down and hung out with them for awhile. That 68ft Viking topped out at about 44kts WOT with a "competition cruise" of about 40kts and a normal cruise in the mid to upper 30s. A boat that "big" going that fast is something!!! It burns about 180gph at 40kts!...not bad really when you consider that there are smaller boats that get about the efficiency.

A cool boat that I found during one of my broad Yachtworld searches was a Fountain with 3 440hp Yanmars that boasted a cruise speed of 55kts burning only 25gph!!! *Looked like any other penis boat out there....probably didn't sound like it!

-- Edited by Baker on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 03:59:11 PM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #65
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

There is a Roger Penske connection with MTU. Penske, ever the consummate business man, formed a joint venture with GM in 1988 creating a new company called Detroit Diesel.**This was hot on the heels of the 1987 introduction of GM's series 60 diesel engine. In 1993 DD became a publically traded company. In 2000 Daimler Chrysler made a tender offer for DD including the 49% Penske owned.

MTU, by virtue of acquiring DD,*became*a leading NA supplier of highway, off highway and marine engines. The thriving DD Division now has a variety of common rail EPA legal diesels for all applications including marine.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #66
Scraping Paint

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:MTU, by virtue of acquiring DD,*became*a leading NA supplier of highway, off highway and marine engines.
We have*more than a few*MTU 2000s and 4000s in our fleet. They are beautiful engines*for sure. *They are much like the old 396s that are real thorobreds. When I was playing at yacht captain I ran a 106 foot jet boat with two 16V396s that put out around 5000 hp between them to drive a pair of Kamewa 71 size jets. Gawd that thing was awesome at full power ... you could hear the fuel flowing.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #67

I thought that MTU stood for More TRouble* Underway** LOL
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #68
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

About ten years ago, a good friend of mine was the engineer aboard Evviva (owned by Orin Edson, the founder of Bayliner). At that time, Orin was repowering his 161' Evviva with a couple larger MTUs, mostly because the hours had gotten fairly high, and he didn't want a failure at an inopportune time. Unlike you and I, who might trade those engines in, he kept them, with the intention of rebuilding them and using them to power a go fast boat. Those engines were somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,250hp or more. My friend did not continue in the crewing business, so I never heard if Orin built that play boat. I think he had planned on a fairly bare bones fifty to sixty footer. Does anyone know anything about that?

Mr Edson did go on to buy Westport Yachts a few years back, and is now building large yachts in the hundred foot plus range.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:43 AM   #69
FF
Guru

"Smaller CR engines either completely enclose the fuel lines to contain a leak, isolate ignition sources from potential fuel spray, or use "flow fuses" ala Cummins that shut off a line that leaks.

Larger engines that meet IMO requirements use double wall fuel lines that contain any leak and trigger an alarm if one occurs."

Great advertisement reading and nice theory, But

We would think Rolls Royce could build a LOW PRESSURE oil fitting that doesn't leak, cause engine failure and blow holes in another Air Bust .

Theory on paper is fine , but "There is many a slip between cup and lip" so I cant wait till the local boat yard "mechanic" gets his hands on a 30,000 psi fuel system.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:49 AM   #70
FF
Guru

IF anyone is restoring a classic and can use a Heavy Duty Gas engine , contact me!

I purchased a natural gas DD series 50 , to get a better starter location on the bell housing , and for other parts and on inspection found std GM coils and spark plugs screwed in where the injectors would usually be.EFI would be easy.

Talk about robust this engine is close to 2000 lbs , but would be fine in an old commuter where every 200-250 hp engine was a ton.And its as quiet as your Buick!
Old 12-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #71
Scraping Paint

Quote:
FF wrote:*I cant wait till the local boat yard "mechanic" gets his hands on a 30,000 psi fuel system.
*Yeah, well, if that is the sort of thing that makes your life worth living then I suppose someone will eventually get hurt and make you feel better.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #72
FF
Guru

WELL THE REAL FUN WILL BE READING THE CONSUMER PRODUCTS "MATTRESS TAG LABEL" THAT SHOULD COME WITH THE BOAT.

Seeing fools kill themselves is why I avoid FBO's on doctors days off.

FEDERAL WARNING

IF you smell Diesel, evacuate the vessel and a 5 block area !

If you see a tiny fuel drip while running, touching the drip may cause instant blood poisoning and almost immediate death!

Oh the BuroRATS are gona love these in pleasure boats!!

The insurance guys will be in hog heaven!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #73
Scraping Paint

It sounds like you need to catch one of those docs before he leaves for the airport and have him adjust your meds.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #74
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

I was just going through some old pictures. Here are two pics of the wellcraft express that went "boom" at the marina we were at about 2 years ago. They were fueling at the fuel dock, cranked it up and BOOM. Sent 2 to the hospital but thankfully no deaths. He replaced that boat with a mainship 34' pilot express single screw diesel!

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #75
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Gasoline Engines in a 43

Just read this article today and it made me think of this thread:

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...range-park-man

-- Edited by Woodsong on Saturday 8th of January 2011 12:48:33 PM
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #76
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Where do old/totaled boats go to die, anyway?* How much does it cost to get a boat disposed of?
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #77
Scraping Paint

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

Where do old/totaled boats go to die, anyway?* How much does it cost to get a boat disposed of?
In the nearest landfill. The cost depends on how big, how many dumpsters it fills and how many people take how long to remove the flammable and toxic stuff.

Frontend loaders, backhoes, and chainsaws do a pretty good job of breaking up the hull. Steel or aluminum hulls get cut up and sold for scrap metal then recycled.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #78
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Gasoline Engines in a 43

Quote:
RickB wrote:

In the nearest landfill. The cost depends on how big, how many dumpsters it fills and how many people take how long to remove the flammable and toxic stuff.

Frontend loaders, backhoes, and chainsaws do a pretty good job of breaking up the hull. Steel or aluminum hulls get cut up and sold for scrap metal then recycled.
That is why I consider a steel boat one of the "greenest afloat".* Also, they can be reapaired any where you can find a welder.* You can even carry a welder on board and repair it or add to it yourself.* No blisters,* You do have to worry about rust, galvanic, and electrolysis problems.* However, that can be dealt with.* For travelling the world, I think a steel boat is a great option.

Did I mention that steel will distort at high temperatures and paint will burn, but steel is none combustible.* Diesel and steel--------sounds pretty good to me.* Way to go, Mark

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Saturday 8th of January 2011 04:38:07 PM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Saturday 8th of January 2011 04:42:26 PM
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #79
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Mark asks;**** "Where do old/totaled boats go to die, anyway? "

In a word*** down

Think about that the next time you contemplate anchoring in Thorne Bay. There's logging equipment on the bottom of our pristine bay as big as a cement truck. Boats on beaches near towns and otherwise are common in Alaska. I know this only as people have told me.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #80
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Probably one of the best things about a Uniflite boat was the use of Hetron resin in the layup.* Unfortunately it was prone to blistering, and led to the company's demise.* I don;t know if it is compatible with vinyl ester, but if it is that could be a good combination.* While Hetron would burn if subjected to a flame, it would not propagate a flame.* It would snuff itself out when the ignition source was removed .* That is why the navyy would specify Hetron for their*GRP boats.* I have a fiberglass boat, and fire is something to be very wary of especially when offshore.

Just thinking.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote