Gardner Diesel in Asia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Parmenter

Vessel Make
49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Hi,
I am looking at a trawler that has a Gardner , I assume at this stage, 8lxb in her (its an 8 something)
I know they are a good motor but so are Cats, Cummins, Detroits etc and these engines are fairly common place with parts readily available.

My question is, if I am in Indonesia or Thailand or Vanuatu or somewhere similar, where their may be just one or two places who work on motors, is your average diesel guy going to have the skills to work on a Gardner if needed and will parts be obtainable?

Or, is a Gardner more of an enthusiast engine much like a Triumph or MG car?

Last edited:
They have a great network with dealers in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, etc. Most diesel mechanics should be able to work on them as they have been around forever. We even used them in China, getting the parts out of Hong Kong.

Thanks for that.

I had my doubts because in all my travels through asia I have seen cummins, yanmar etc signage on even tiny little workshops but never had I seen gardner.

The boat I was keen on is looking less likely now as layout for accommodation was not thought out properly and it would probably cost to much to get it right.
It has multiple small berths and cabins where as I only want one giant cabin with a kingsized bed.
A shame as the price seems so very right for a 55ft trawler with an 8lxb gardner.

You will probably find that mechanics in developing nations are more used to working on Gardners than many modern brands. A good bet for mechanical help in these places is to find the best maintained looking coastal trader and offer the ship's engineer a cash deal to do your work. You will find the quality much better than most land bound operators.
BTW, you can always bring your gardner to my business in Vanuatu for work but I might steal it for my own boat.

A good bet for mechanical help in these places is to find the best maintained looking coastal trader and offer the ship's engineer a cash deal to do your work. You will find the quality much better than most land bound operators.

Be careful saying things like that in this place. There are a few here who think that anyone who feeds and cares for boats larger than they own are not qualified to touch or even comment on a smaller vessel and its fittings.

Be careful saying things like that in this place. There are a few here who think that anyone who feeds and cares for boats larger than they own are not qualified to touch or even comment on a smaller vessel and its fittings.
Ahh yes, but nobody knows as much as I do, they just don't know it yet.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom