Old 10-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #1

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Gallons per hour

I've finally run two tanks through Mahalo and have two sets of data, both nearly identical. Twin Cummins 6bt turbos. I cruise about 9.5 knots, but always have periods of going slower and faster. Both engines combined, the boat gets 5.7 gph. How does that compare?

Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Sounds optimistic but not unbelievable. The Coot, however, isn't capable of such high speeds or fuel consumption.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggiolini View Post
I've finally run two tanks through Mahalo and have two sets of data, both nearly identical. Twin Cummins 6bt turbos. I cruise about 9.5 knots, but always have periods of going slower and faster. Both engines combined, the boat gets 5.7 gph. How does that compare?
What's your boat's length?

In my charter business, fuel is the number one expense. It's bigger than the next four (dockage, insurance, maintainance and capitol improvements) combined. So, if I change something like prop pitch, I do several trips varying the speed by a knot to determine fuel burn. Do this, and you might be surprised at how much fuel burn varies with your speed.

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
To me it sounds about right...even very good on fuel burn for that speed...but more impressive is the speed...you must be throwing a pretty good wake at that speed.

Slow down to 7 knots and I bet your fuel burn will be about 1/3-1/2 of what it is now.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Guru

Twin Cummins 6BT 330's, with a planing hull and 24000 lbs: 1300 rpm 7.4 kts and 5 gph.
Just to compare.

Shut one down: 1300 rpm, 6.5 kts and 2.5 gph.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Compare? I burn 1.8 GPH at 2K RPM. That's seven knots in slack current (seven knots through the water). Since I boat in an area with reversing tidal currents, at any given time I could be making five to nine knots over land.

If I were to increase my speed to try to match yours, my fuel consumption would skyrocket. I suspect you could do much better if you slowed down to closer to hull speed. And maintained a constant RPM rather than trying to maintain a constant speed.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote