Old 10-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
RE: Fuel valving schematic or picture.

Dick: Our* cruising habits and distances appear*to pretty well mimic yours. We are fortunate in the PNW to have good dealer fuel available (knock on wood)*virtually all the time and echoed by other cruisers.

Your schematic and postings are what this forum and the internet are all about - learning from the other guy as it may apply. I have found over the many decades that too much data can lead to lots of* questions and comments, some inane some not.* If you go to the recent "repairs" thread you will see all sorts of experience, knowledge and dollars being spent on this sport/hobby/lifestyle. Some of the experiences are* great to know about, take Peter B's anchor rode swap story or Gonzo's many "What do you think about" questions.

I appreciated your posting as it got me thinking about a very black magic subject - clean fuel, ULSD and remedies. For more black magic read AlgaeX, Valvetec, Amsoile, Gulf Coast filters etc websites. Credit to you for doing it the old fashioned way - cleaning the tanks and good filters.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #22

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40

Rick

Thanks for posting your comments and the fuel system diagram.* We are new to trawler ownership and I was quite surprised that both engines fed off a common manifold with no way of going "tank-to-engine."* I would have assumed most boats with offshore capability would be set up to minimize any single-point failure modes, and plan to modify our system to match your diagram.

Any comments on Seaboard Marine's multistage filtering set-ups?

av8r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Two questions:

1. With a diesel engine where more fuel is drawn through the filters than is used and the excess returned to the tank(s), isn't the fuel "polished" to some extent without additional equipment?

2. If all the fuel tanks are filled at the same time from the same source, wouldn't the danger of contamination be the same for all tanks and that would negate any advantage of being able to isolate one or more tanks?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Randy

The points you raise evoke the "galley up or down" question.*

The fuel polishing marketers never mention that recirculating fuel indeed gets it*polished to a greater or lesser degree based upon the recirculation rate. Most will argue that continually drawing from*the tanks via a sump or sloped bottom (ala Nordhavn or my DeFever) is the best way to remove gunk.

If you have more than one tank, are about 1/2 full*and have*a fuel transfer system, it is easy to place the new fuel in a separate tank keeping your "safe" fuel all by itself. With more than 2 tanks it becomes even easier to isolate old vs new fuel.

Picking the right fuel supplier where we boat*(between San Diego and Juneau) has negated the bad fuel issue for us.*
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #25
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
rwidman wrote:

1. With a diesel engine where more fuel is drawn through the filters than is used and the excess returned to the tank(s), isn't the fuel "polished" to some extent without additional equipment?

2. If all the fuel tanks are filled at the same time from the same source, wouldn't the danger of contamination be the same for all tanks and that would negate any advantage of being able to isolate one or more tanks?
Quote:
IMHO, Yes & yes & I have a fuel poishing system that I wouldn't do again. I think your questions are right on the mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	polishing 2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	9674  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #26

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40

Rick
In a 2-tank, 2-engine system like your diagram for FighterPilot, can the filters be located between the tank and the selector valve? This would allow feeding both engines through one filter while changing the other, if necessary.
av8r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

The duplex filters allow one side to be changed while running on the other.

If you don't want to pay Racor's ransom on the duplex, you can just valve 2 filters to accomplish the same job but have to operate 2 valves rather than simply change a lever position.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #28

City: Québec City
Vessel Name: "Côte de Nuits"
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Rick,

Do you have a small drawing to illustrate your excellent suggestion.

I'm doing a plan to change my setup (two tanks, 1 engine and a generator). Currently there is a Racor 500 dedicated to each tank and a Racor 110 for the generator. Thus I have a "Gulf Coast F1" installed separately to polish and transfer the fuel.

After I read all yours exchanges on this subject, I think the best solution would be to use the filters that I have and add some valves to make a "Duplex".

Thank you for your help.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #29

City: Spring Lake

Being new to the power boating scene, I need to ask the question, "what is fuel polishing and why is it needed".
What is entailed in the process and is there a link on this site were I can read up on it.
Thanks for allowing me to post this dumb question.
Peter
sunvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #30
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Fuel valving schematic or picture.

Quote:
Jacques wrote:

Rick,

Do you have a small drawing to illustrate your excellent suggestion.

I'm doing a plan to change my setup (two tanks, 1 engine and a generator). Currently there is a Racor 500 dedicated to each tank and a Racor 110 for the generator. Thus I have a "Gulf Coast F1" installed separately to polish and transfer the fuel.

After I read all yours exchanges on this subject, I think the best solution would be to use the filters that I have and add some valves to make a "Duplex".

Thank you for your help.
Rick seems to be off working so*here is a picture of the*one on my last sail boat.* It is two Racors and one tank but in your case you would use one more valve to select which tank you were getting fuel from.* You would also have to devise a fuel return system with two tanks where as with one it just returned to the original tank.

The valves are from a truck supplier and ares used for selecting saddle tanks.* The aft valve is the fuel supply from the tank.* The fuel goes into the bottom of the valve and*out the forward side to supply the forward filter or out the aft side to supply the aft filter*the direction of the valve*determines which of the two Racors it supplies.* The*forward valve gets it's fuel from either one or the other of the two Racors .* The forward filter supplies the forward side of the valve and the aft filter the aft side of the*valve the bottom is the exit of the valve and supplies the engine.* So if both valves are facing forward the forward filter is in play, if both are facing aft the aft filter is in play.* Either filter can be changed while the engine is running if need be but the one time I*did need it I was less than five miles from where we were headed and just changed to the other filter, never missed a beat and did the swap out at the dock.* I'm sorry that I don't have better pictures but these were taken from a phone.

Hope this helps.

*[img]../../download.spark?ID=1080587&aBID=115492[/img]

[img]../../download.spark?ID=1080595&aBID=115492[/img]

-- Edited by JD on Sunday 12th of February 2012 11:02:08 AM

JD is offline   Reply With Quote