Fuel use per hour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see anything changing. The nmpg is still better at the 90% for displacement or semi.

That's right. I just don't run our boat that slow because I want to keep the boost up a bit and the boat rides and handles much better with a bit more speed. But the prop/engine charts show some significant gains as the speed drops to the 90% value and below.

I (thurman) see you like the wood trawler. As a live aboard is this a good idea most cleanings will be done in the boat yard. I will be able to do it at anchor on traveling if fowling becomes a problem using my scuba gear. Doesn't wood require more maintenance? The boat will not be out of the water much!! There are places to go and things to see. I wish to thank everyone for the information provided. It has cleared up some things and created more questions for my research but it has definitely made me want a trawler more.

Last edited:
Doesn't wood require more maintenance?

What is required on wood is INSTANT attention.

A deck or window leak on a GRP boat is simply a pain and a stain below.

Any deck leak on a wooden boat is a danger , as the wood below goes from wet to dry and back, passes thru the dry rot zone , a constant danger.

Here are some numbers for Hobo

Full-displacement, full-keel hull.
LOA..............................42'-4"
LWL..............................39'-2"
Beam.............................15'
Draft.............................4'-11"
Displacement (full load).......45,000 lbs
Fuel..............................700 gals
Water.............................300 gals
Ballast.........................2,500 lb

Anchor to anchor for the last 857 miles with the paravanes deployed except within harbors. The paravanes cost us about 3/4 knot of hull speed.

1.7 GPH at 6 knots. If we go up to 8 knots the GPH would more than double.

Since the 80's there has been more awareness of how to properly maintain wood and keep it from rotting. I think the biggest lesson to learn about wood is epoxy is your friend and polyester is the enemy. You have to resist bondo that says marine on it because you know it's polyester. You learn about Smith's CPES and West System or another glueing epoxy.

Once wood is saturated with epoxy, it becomes bullet proof for the most part. I wouldn't rule out a wood boat just because of the material it was built of. There is no free lunch and FRP boats are not without problems. Steel, concrete, carbon fiber and aluminum all have problems. It becomes a trade off.

Good luck, I am happy you are choosing a trawler. I think trawler owners are the wisest of all boaters. Why? Because they chose the best of all worlds in a boat and lifestyle.

18,500 lbs. 38' twin 175 na Hino power, Westerbeke 8BTD gen. 3 year fuel burn rate running 100 + hours per year & @90 per year on gen. 2.8 gph includes gen. time, we run it while cruising to keep the berth cool for the grandkids naps & cooking while anchored out. I run at the speed needed to reach destination in a reasonable amount of time, it is the cruising that's enjoyable, some times I'll get on step to reach a lock or to get ahead of a tow if needed.

Larry,

Your boat has three times the displacement of Willy and dosn't burn twice as much fuel at 6 knots. Very good.

Since ther'e both full disp the efficiency must be due to the greater WLL.

Cap,

What does CPES cost?

Last edited:
Larry,

Your boat has three times the displacement of Willy and dosn't burn twice as much fuel at 6 knots. Very good.

Since ther'e both full disp the efficiency must be due to the greater WLL.

Eric: The longer water line would be my guess. We're on our way to the States and will probably do the ICW from some where around Miami to Jacksonville. Without the paravanes, it will be interesting to see what our burn rate does in protected waters.

Smith' Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer is a 50/50 mix. Very easy to mix and use. It's very thin and will run off a brush that is too wet and right down your wrists so I always use gloves, a must.

It will soak deep into the wood and kill the wood rot spores so nothing else is needed. I always soak and go back in a few minutes to soak more and repeat that until it won't hold any more. It cures in 24 to 48 and will off gas a lot.

Cost is around 56-60.00 for a 2 quart kit. The gallons, which makes 2 gallons, is just under 200.00. It has gone up. I paid 100 for the 2 gal kits when I did my boat bottom.

Larry, Yup WLL. I think it costs quite a bit to drag those paravanes through the water.

WOW .... the stuff sounds great but $$$$$$

40' Dave Martin designed Trendsetter 40 ...

TAMD60B 235hp

1300RPM 1.6gph at 8.2knots (full load)

Couldn't find the specs of this boat on Google , where is it?

8.2K at 1.6 GPH is almost a record!!!

Is this actual results or mere advertising projections ?

I (thurman) see you like the wood trawler. As a live aboard is this a good idea most cleanings will be done in the boat yard. I will be able to do it at anchor on traveling if fowling becomes a problem using my scuba gear. Doesn't wood require more maintenance? The boat will not be out of the water much!! There are places to go and things to see. I wish to thank everyone for the information provided. It has cleared up some things and created more questions for my research but it has definitely made me want a trawler more.

Hi Everett,

I think Capt back in post number 35 has the right of it. Wood boats have a lot to recommend them, but even though their purchase price is lower, they aren't cheap. You have to be prepared to do an awful lot of work in order to keep them up, keeping in mind that all the while, what you are doing will not increase their selling price. They are great if you love and will live for them, otherwise you're better off with plastic...

T.

Hi Everett,

I think Capt back in post number 35 has the right of it. Wood boats have a lot to recommend them, but even though their purchase price is lower, they aren't cheap. You have to be prepared to do an awful lot of work in order to keep them up, keeping in mind that all the while, what you are doing will not increase their selling price. They are great if you love and will live for them, otherwise you're better off with plastic...

T.

I agree with that statement. I will add to it however. Buying the right brand wood boat (like a Grand Banks) and keeping it up will insure you can sell it when that day comes. Buying an off brand or one made in a yard known for shoddy work will not.

If I was thinking plastic, I'd find one that has already had a bottom blister job with epoxy barrier coats. Of course, if you can.

All boats are a trade off and compromise. Galley up or down, walk around decks or big cabins, all cabins forward or forward and aft. The list can go on and on, twin vs. single, bow thrusters, stabilizers, etc.

Make a list and search those desires.

I only had a few when I was looking.
1, head room...I'm 6'4"
2, a bed I can sleep in and not one between two bulkheads
3, a fishing cockpit

I had a broker find my boat. It has a lowered cockpit, very rare in Grand Banks, a king size bed, probably the only one in a GB and I have headroom.

You can do the same. Make a list of priorities and do a search.

TAMD60B 235hp

Tried to look Trendsetter up too, cause this is a great number for S/L 1.3 and represents only 27 HP based on burn. Very nice indeed. Would love to see a lines drawing. My Bruno 35' requires 2.1 GPH to make this speed. The Wiilard will only reach 6.8K on this GPH and of course won't do 8.2K at all with the installed power.

Last edited:
TAMD60B 235hp

FF, A little more info on the Treandsetter 40 from a ProBoat article. This was written by Dave Martin himself. 225HP Volvo 2.5:1, propeller not mentioned, 2.46 NMPG @ 15.5K, 1.19 NMPG @ 20.5K top. Then he says "hull #2 was lighter & faster. V hull forward w/ multiple spray rails, almost flat aft round at the chines.
There is a lines drawing in the article.

I was thinking my fuel usage was comparable to others posting, until I realized that I was calculating mine in litres per hour rather than GPH. Dividing by 3.79 makes it very economical.

I've recently callibrated my fuel tanks so I'll get a bit more accurate data under steady conditions & post the details soon.

...mere advertising projections ?

Here's what Krogen states in their marketing brochure for the KK42 (no longer in production) with the Perkins 135 hp. I wish we could get ~5000 miles on 700 gallons of fuel. We average between 3.5 and 3.8 mpg in real life.

Approx. Range:
8 kts............2,150 nm
7 kts............3,200 nm
6 kts............5,000 nm

Larry,

At what rpm's are your speeds taken?

Do the paravanes help the ride so much?

Richard

Larry,

At what rpm's are your speeds taken?

Do the paravanes help the ride so much?

Richard

We run at 1600 to 1700 rpms 98% of the time. And yes, the paravanes help the ride so much. We don't secure furniture and you can keep a cup of coffee in the pilot house without spilling.

Sorry for the long delay in responding to querstions about the Trendsetter 40, this has been a busy time for me. Follow the link to specs and hull info on this model. It has been claimed that this is the nost fuel efficient 40' on the water.

it does not show up well in the lines dawing but it is a very curious hull form with a deeply concave V forward, shallow V with hard chines amidships and round chines aft. Trendsetter 40

Note that my boat is "Hull #2" which is lighter than hull #1 and gets even better fuel efficiency as mentioned in the info.

Last edited:
We run at 1600 to 1700 rpms 98% of the time. And yes, the paravanes help the ride so much. We don't secure furniture and you can keep a cup of coffee in the pilot house without spilling.

Thanks. Having just come thru Jekylll sound and st. Simons Sound this morning, 2-4 ft short period waves and 30 kts wind, I had things flying around that i thought i had secured. :facepalm:

the broadside rolling is vicious.
I'm learning alot and havingfun going it.
only saw 4 boats traveling yesterday.
isuppose everyone wants for nice weather.:eek:

Richard

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom