Old 02-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #21
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
RE: The Fuel System Upgrade Project

Tom,If you are talking about the 90 degree fitting on the left I agree. Why not use a male/ female 1/4" NPT brass fitting, then screw in a barb fitting the same as you have on the valves?

Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Latest mock-up photos below.

Here is the latest question: With my limited experience with these fixtures in such a specialized application, how do I get it all to "line up" to the proper orientation? My worry is that the valves and pipe fittings are either too tight or too loose and not facing the correct direction to be useful. Any tips?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mockup2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	4735   Click image for larger version

Name:	mockup3.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	4736  

Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #23
Grand Vizier

Tom, what grade/type/description is the fuel hose?
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #24
Guru

Oh, sorry... Forgot to mention that this is just a bunch of cheap-o 3/8 hose from O'Riley's ($1.11/ft.) for mock-up purposes ONLY. I certainly didn't want to spend four or five bucks a foot on the real stuff until I knew what lengths I need. Don't worry... Will goto West Marine (or Defender) once I am ready for final assembly.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #25
Grand Vizier

Phew!

The valves look fine, although I can't make out the orientation of the 3 way.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Delfin wrote:

Phew!

The valves look fine, although I can't make out the orientation of the 3 way.
Which one? The bottom one routes incoming fuel to filter circut or polishing circut. The one on the far right is a bypass for the polishing filter to use only for fuel transfer.

Unless you mean sexual orientation. In that case, the 3-way is OBVIOUSLY bisexual. DUH!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #27
Grand Vizier

It looks fine, I just couldn't see where the arrows were pointing on the 3 way.* And I am fully in support of equal opportunity for LGBT freedom in plumbing supplies.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #28
Guru

Ok, cool... So can we see if anyone can answer my question?

"With my limited experience with these fixtures in such a specialized application, how do I get it all to "line up" to the proper orientation? My worry is that the valves and pipe fittings are either too tight or too loose and not facing the correct direction to be useful. Any tips?"
Old 02-11-2011, 05:20 AM   #29
Guru

The Fuel System Upgrade Project

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" class="forumline borderline table" style="width:100%;"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" class="row1 borderline" style="text-align:left;"><table style="margin:0px;width:100%;padding:0px;"><tbody> <tr><td colspan="2" style="width:100%;">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" class="row3 row3text borderline"><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="width:100%;"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" valign="middle" style="text-align:right;"></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" class="forumline borderline table" style="width:100%;"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" class="row1 borderline" style="text-align:left;"><table style="margin:0px;width:100%;padding:0px;"><tbody> <tr><td colspan="2" style="width:100%;">With my limited experience with these fixtures in such a specialized application, how do I get it all to "line up" to the proper orientation? My worry is that the valves and pipe fittings are either too tight or too loose and not facing the correct direction to be useful. Any tips?"

</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" class="row3 row3text borderline"><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="width:100%;"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" valign="middle" style="text-align:right;"></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>"With my limited experience with these fixtures in such a specialized application, how do I get it all to "line up" to the proper orientation? My worry is that the valves and pipe fittings are either too tight or too loose and not facing the correct direction to be useful. Any tips?"

If the fittings are NPT you won't get them "too tight". And as I said before if you use loctite 242 (or equivilent)*the fittings won't leak. Even if they are not cranked in very tight.

-- Edited by jleonard on Friday 11th of February 2011 06:21:22 AM
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #30
Guru

Permatex Threadlocker Bule... Same thing or no?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:19 AM   #31
Guru

Loctite 30561 is what I suggest. Grainger sells it. It is a liquid Teflon, great stuff. NPT stands Pipe Taper. The deeper the threads the tighter it gets. Brush the Teflon heavy on the threads the tighten snug, most folks tend to overtighten.
Tom- with all due respect- let's all contribute and begin to neaten up your mock up before you commit to it.
Starting with your original twin Racor housings. Right side. You loop up then down to a three way valve as I recall. Why not come out of the Racor facing down and go straight to the valve?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #32
Guru

Thanks... At the time, doing it that way got in the way of operation of the valve handle. But also at the time, the exit of the 3-way went a different way. Here is the fix:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mockup4.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	4757  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #33
Guru

MUCH better!
Now the pump. The fittings exit facing out. Not cool. Can the pump be rotated on the motor? We need to figure out a way to have the fittings exit to the right.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #34
Guru

Here is a suggestion. Where the ball valves are with the long handles, make sure there is a provision to be able to lock the handle if it is in the vertical position while underway.
You can velcro, or tiewrap to a hose or add an eye or whatever in the appropriate place.

I say this because I have had a handle vibrate closed on me once. It wasn't pretty. I won't go into the details here.

-- Edited by jleonard on Friday 11th of February 2011 09:23:39 AM
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #35
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Forkliftt wrote:

MUCH better!
Now the pump. The fittings exit facing out. Not cool. Can the pump be rotated on the motor? We need to figure out a way to have the fittings exit to the right.
Yes, the pump head can be rotated 360 degrees.* By the way, you can get small thumb handles for any ball valve that are not a lever type and take up a lot less room.

-- Edited by Delfin on Friday 11th of February 2011 09:30:05 AM
Old 02-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #36
Guru

Delfin,
That will help a lot. It looks to me that if Tom turns the pump to the right it may hit on the side of the pump. If that is the case he may want to consider a double layer of Starboard for the pump motor mounting to space it out. There may me a lot better ideas too.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #37
Guru

Thanks guys... Not much chance of rotating the pump right now. Space restrictive. In fact, it WAS like that originally and I had to change it to get it to fit. I'm curious why it's not cool to face it out? There little to no chance of it being hit.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #38
Guru

Tom,
I guess what I'm trying to say-
Is that you have taken the time to mock this up, buy the best components and ask advice on the board so that your project turns out as well as possible.
When I take on a new to me project I try to locate an example of how it is done by a professional. Then I hope to understand why he/ she does it that way. Chances are they have either learned from someone already skilled at their craft or have learned from trial and error, correcting their mistakes along the way. I have never seen a fuel pump mounted on a board with a loop coming out. I could be wrong and this is the way a professional would mount it but I don't think so.
I'm pretty certain when you mount the upgraded system in you will want it to look as though a professional installed it.
When you say "space restrictive" do you mean you couldn't bend the hose enough to run up to the manifold?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #39
Guru

There are a couple of bends that get awkward with the pump exiting to the right. The exit of the filter to the input of the pump is the primary one. With the Tee on the pump's exit makes for a lot of distance. Putting a right angle on either or both would mean a large loop of hose to connect the two points. IMHO, that would look worse. I thought about making a solid connection between the pump and filter, but thought that vibrations from the pump onto the filter could lead to issues and trying to get the pump and filter to the exact same height would be maddening. So it needed to be isolated.

Then, on the output of the pump to the output manifold, if I leave the straight barb there will again be a large loop from one to the other. Put a right angle on it facing up and there is not really enough clearance to get around the pump housing.

This just seemed like the most logical solution.

Tom-
Old 02-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #40
Guru

Tom,
I see what you mean about a solid connection between the pump and new filter creating problems. Where does the other hose go to that "T's" into the fitting on the new filter?