Old 07-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
As was said before with diesel (and gas for that matter) a little will go a long way in the fume aspect.
Diesel fumes on a boat are an annoyance. Gasoline fumes are a hazzard. A serious hazzard. Something that must be addressed NOW!

One advantage to keeping your boat's bilge, engine, etc. clean is it's far easier to spot any leaks.

For anyone who suspects an actual leak in a fuel tank, there are professionals with the equipment and expertise to pressure test fuel tanks without damaging them. Also, depending on the location of a tank leak, it may take a certain level of fuel before it leaks out.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
If everything turned blue you wouldn't be any better off than before.

Does fuel on an engine block or injection pump turn blue while the surrounding metal reflects no light at all?
I just reread your post and looked at the photos and see what I think you may be seeing and I should have (no pun intended) highighted ...

The fuel will glow but nothing else around it unless that material itself will fluoresce, which most things don't. A drip or run of diesel will glow but the metal around it won't.

If the paint color is close to the color of the glow it can be very difficult to see. That is why the tracer dye helps because it makes fuel stand out from any normal background.

The blue saturation shown on my picture is because the only illumination was from the UV light. The paper towel glows bright white in UV, the fuel was glowing bright blue and the transmitted light made the surrounding white paper and the background appear blue.

The camera chip may also be more sensitive to UV or blue spectrum light than the eye so that may increase the blue saturation but you are the expert in that area, not me.

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Diesel fumes on a boat are an annoyance. Gasoline fumes are a hazzard. A serious hazzard. Something that must be addressed NOW!
My point was that they are very gaseous products and that it takes only a miniscule amount to "fill" an enclosed space such as an engine room or salon withdeal breaking fumes. This wasn't began as a safety thread.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Rick--- Thanks for the follow-on explanation. With a 39 year old boat and engines--- albeit with a fuel system (tanks, hoses, and fittings) that were installed the year before we bought the boat in 1998--- it might be prudent to have a blacklight on board.......
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
If you think it is worthwhile to do the occasional leak survey, buy a couple of the little tiny vials of diesel leak tracing dye. It only takes a few drops in a tank to make it easy to find leaks.

Google, diesel tracer dye for a quick course.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
Thanks, I'll check it out. So far we've only had two instances that I can recall of fuel leaking. One was a weeping connector that holds one of the injection pipes to the top of the injection pump. Tightening it solved that. The other was an injection pipe (not the same one) that pinholed and was shooting a thin stream of fuel against the side of the engine. Replacing the pipe solved that. In both cases, the giveaway was an immediate diesel smell noticeable in the main cabin.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote