Fuel polishing system filtration questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kazenza

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Rover
Vessel Make
CT 40 / Hartley Motor Sailor
I'm rebuilding my fuel system in my CT 40 Trawler and putting in a medium duty fuel polishing transfer system while in the process. Have scanned the polishing threads on a few forums and was planning on a Gulf Coast GF1 Filter with a Reverso 312 transfer pump, but in my conversations with Reverso about filtration they recommended the filter go after the pump to avoid having clumps of the paper towel filter that the GF1 uses come off and clog the gears on the 312. They also recommended I look at Separ Filters (which is an associated company) as a possible alternative to the Gulf Coast. I currently have two Racor 900 filters on the boat and planned to use the GF1 as a primary polishing filter and keep the 900's inline before each engine.

Anyone have experience with Separ Filters. They don't look much different than the Racors I have now, but I may be mistaken. Also any issues from folks using Gulf Coast on getting clumps of material from the filter fouling the system. About to make some purchases and the Separ recommendation was a new wrinkle that came up today.

Randy

The problem is ALL fuel pumps mix the water , fuel and crap into an emulsified mix that is very hard for the filter to clean.

Sucking the dirty fuel thru the filter first is the only way to really clean the fuel.

If the suction will cause the filter element to disintergrate , buy a better brand of filter.

The Raycor are popular for a reason on commercial boats.

They work and a case or two of filters is cheap.

In the case of filters, bigger will hold more than smaller so a switchable underway set of 1000 is my favorite.

The boat diesel folks have product to sell, Caviat Emptor.

Why not use your present filters, added a pump and maodify the fuel system. I use the same 1000 racor filters to polish and/or primary filters.

I agree with FF, Fred, the filters should be before the pump.

I have had the GF1 filter recommended because it filters below 1 micron, but am not married to that solution. I was hoping to keep the 900's in line each engine as an additional level of protection if I need to bypass the main polishing filter for any reason but I could just use them in parrallel or split on either side of the pump as a bypass/back up solution. I know that Reverso is a sister company to Separ, so I wasn't very compelled by that recommendation. The Separ Filters look very similar in design and function to the Racor's unless someone knows some compelling reason they are superior.

Randy

There is absolutely no reason to 'filter below 1 micron' (which it won't anyway...but that is a different story). Much simpler to use RACOR of the same size as what you have now so you can have just one type of filter aboard. Did you look at RACOR's own fuel polishing module? http://www.parker.com/literature/Ra...nditioning_Module_For_Marine_Applications.pdf As you are re-doing your fuel line plumbing anyway, this could be a great solution for you. It gets plumbed in to your regular fuel filters.....

I am replacing the whole system, except for the existing filters. I've got trashed 30 year old copper line that has been worked over pretty good by a previous owner (kinked, clogged, etc). I've looked at that system and am going a little more robust than that and have built all the manifolds, researched pumps, etc. After this discussion, I'll probably just add one more Racor to the system the way I've designed it, which will cost me less than the Gulf Coast would anyway, so win win.

I installed a Separ dual filter set-up and it has pros and cons compared with Racor.

The Separ unit is physically smaller than a Racor of the same capacity and easier to disassemble and clean. It can also be backflushed to clean the filter element but I don't find this particularly effective.

The downside is that the filter elements are very expensive, appear to come in 30mu only, and are not as readily available.

Interestingly, when I bought Pioneer the engine had done 18,000 hrs with no primary filter - just the on-engine water separator and the on-engine spin on filter. (Cat 3406)

I have to say I at first thought you were joking about disintegrating filters. Imagine how your engine would feel ingesting a paper towel through an injector. My polishing system is the same as my main remote filter - a Racor with 10 micron filter. Why stock different filters?

Dave

I just know there are a few folks who swear by the Gulf Coast filters, which can literally use a roll of Bounty paper towels as the filter element, and I've looked a designs for a few polishing setups build around the GF1 filter, but I hadn't heard anyone discuss concerns about filter material coming off and making its way into the pump until I talked to the tech at Reverso, although he was also trying to sell me a Separ filter setup in the process. Researching the Gulf Coast, it looks like a well established industrial grade filter used in a variety of heavy duty trucking and other applications, but not as much in marine.

I've looked at that system and am going a little more robust than that and have built all the manifolds, researched pumps, etc. After this discussion,

Are you going to black iron pipe?

To go superior to a 30 year old system that is still operating with decades of abuse is quite a goal.

Rubber hose will never go the distance ,esp as out rulers force contaminants in the fuel,what are you going to use?

Probably bad wording on my part. First the 30 year old system was not operating, feeding fuel to only one engine, and kinked, hand bent and otherwise badly modified. Second, I can't find anyone, Chandlery, shop, otherwise, who recommends replacing the copper with anything than high quality fuel grade rubber. Finally, When I said more robust, I was more referring to having capacity to transfer, polish, and monitor my fuel situation. I have no working fuel gauges, one trashed 200 gallon tank, etc. I know many people object to rubber, but my feeling is that if well maintained, it will function immeasurably better than what I've got and make it easier to maintain, service etc. My concerns are more with the components in the system. I ordered my Reverso pump this morning from West Marine, which both had the best price and could have it at the store on Monday with no shiping charges. I am going to work with my existing filters until I am ready to purchase a dedicated polishing filter in a few weeks or so, but what I set up this next week should allow me to get the boat back on the water to work the engines back into regular running condition.

Back
Top Bottom