Old 06-23-2011, 05:24 AM   #21

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako
RE: Fuel Polishing system anyone build one?

Gonzo-

That's a really nice looking polisher you built. Looks similar to my own, using 2 Racor 500's. Except yours is a neater, cleaner layout and you have all of your filters nicely mounted on the white back board. Good job !

Are you also using the same multi-stage filters to runthe fuel through to the engine? That is what I did.

....and Dude - ya gotta start wearing a belt. It aint pretty ! !

R.

ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #22
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Ralph,

The dual 500's on the left are only for the engine and genset supply (30m and 10m). I only polish thru the single filter on the right (30m). I didn't see the need to scrub it all the way to 2m, so mine is and either/or rig. You scrub or filter to engine. I can't switch over to a backup filter while running. I still need to install a 2m filter before the genset, but I'm not in a hurry to do that. It can deal with 10m fuel for a while. Come to think of it, it's the same with the main. Only sending it 10m fuel for the time being until I can get a 2m for the CAV filter. I guess I found my project for next weekend. :-(

Thanks for the props... I had a good time building it. Yours looks quite complex and I'd like to see some pics of it. TBH, it's very much like how my own designs looked in the early stages until Rick intervened and neatened it up greatly. Complex is bad.

It might be just me, but are you only dumping the returns from both engine and genset into one tank? My OEM rig was like that and I thought that was screwy, but once I routed it thru a selectable manifold, it gave me the ability to use the scrubber as a fuel transfer system as well. That's another reason to go with a 60gph AC pump. That Walbro pump has a shorter duty cycle before it needs a rest. The AC pump/motor I am using can run for days if I need it to.

BTW... Those are my "work-on-the-boat" jeans. They are old, tired, and stretched out. With all the bending, stooping, ducking, twisting and general contortionism, wearing a belt is uncomfortable for me in the engine bay. Sorry... Hey, at least I had ON underwear! Consider yourself lucky.

Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
charles wrote:

My experience has shown that if I changed my fuel filters every two hundred hours, at the same time as oil changes that I would not have a clogged fuel filter......* Oh , I did build a fuel polishing system and used it ONE time.......
* * * * My experience pretty much coincides with Charle's statements except I change oil and filters annually, no matter what the hour meter says.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #24

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako

Gonzo

I return fuel from polishing to both tanks. Originally my boat was plumbed to provide the Lehman 120 return only to one tank. Not a problem since the Lehman 120 returns a mere 1/2 pint in 10 hours of running.

But when I put in the 60 gph polishing pump, I split the return line and feed both tanks.

If I want to transfer fuel, all I need to do is shut off the valve of one of the return lines.

Note that I also have a shut off valve on the return line at the engine. I shut that off when polishing so as to not push fuel under pressure back to the engine. It is supposed to be able to withstand it but I want to be safe.

R.

ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote