Old 06-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #1

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Thea
Vessel Model: 46 Grand Banks Classic
Perkins tachometer sender

I'm replacing the instrument panel to engine wiring, and have a question about the tach sender units on my Perkins 6.354's.

There appear to be two terminals on each sender as well as a ground screw. Only one terminal was connected on each. The Stewart-Warner tachs are not accurate - with the engines synchronized by ear, each of the 4 tachs indicates something different.

Anyone know what the two sender terminals are? Are they to drive two separate tachs, or should one be grounded, or ??

(No surprise - the Perkins "documentation" doesn't seem to say)...
Chris Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Guru

They are driven off the "R" terminal on the tachometer. Should be a gray #16 wire.
I have a wiring schematic in PDF but this system won't let me upload it.
E mail me at
leonaj99@yahoo.com and I can reply with that doocument
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #3

Thanks Jay - I took a look at the diagram, and it's for an alternator fed system.

I have a tach generator that mounts on the front of the engine - I think it's on the same shaft that drives the raw water pump. It has two terminals on it, and I think they are meant to drive two tachs. It's currently set up with one terminal connected, and that drives both tachs. But that's just a guess.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Foster View Post
Thanks Jay - I took a look at the diagram, and it's for an alternator fed system.

I have a tach generator that mounts on the front of the engine - I think it's on the same shaft that drives the raw water pump. It has two terminals on it, and I think they are meant to drive two tachs. It's currently set up with one terminal connected, and that drives both tachs. But that's just a guess.
------------------------------------------------------
Hmm, interesting. My tach drives on my 6.354's have two wires. I hadn't really thought about it before, but I suppose each wire must be driving a seperate tach then. I guess that would make sense with two helms, main cabin helm and the flybridge helm.

If you find a source for the tach drives I would be interested in the info. I have one that is intermittent. By the way, I have Stewart Warner Tach gauges.
Larry B
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #5

Looks like Stewart Warner may have new senders available. On mine, at least, there's a right-angle drive that then looks to have a standard tach pickoff on it. There's both a traditional sender like we probably have (32865-F). There's also a Hall Effect sensor (32623B) that should work better, but I can't tell if it would be compatible with the older tach.

stewartwarnercanada.com has much more info than the US site.

BTW - were you moored at Anacortes Marina on B dock last summer?
Old 06-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Foster View Post
Looks like Stewart Warner may have new senders available. On mine, at least, there's a right-angle drive that then looks to have a standard tach pickoff on it. There's both a traditional sender like we probably have (32865-F). There's also a Hall Effect sensor (32623B) that should work better, but I can't tell if it would be compatible with the older tach.

stewartwarnercanada.com has much more info than the US site.

BTW - were you moored at Anacortes Marina on B dock last summer?
=================================

No, that was another 38 Californian. I think they hauled out for the winter and were up in the dry storage on R ave. They put back in during the summer. I haven't seen them this year though. There is another one in Cap Santa too. I was in Cap Santa, "F" dock up until last fall and moved to E dock after the new docks were installed.

I'll have to do a little more research on the senders, it's becoming a pain and needs to be replaced. Sometime you can find out more info by calling them. Maybe I'll give that a go. Thanks
Larry B.
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote