Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #81
Grand Vizier

RE: Fuel Polishing

Tom, now I understand the drawing - I should have paid closer attention.* There is a likely problem with your layout I think you need to correct.* As drawn, the suction from the Procon pump will be working against the suction from the engine fuel pump.* Move the supply for the engine to the output side of the Procon and you should be fine.*

One more thing to note - the pump will move the amount of fuel it says it will because the split phase motor will spin the stamped rpms (if not, the thermal protection will cut out or the breaker trip).* Consequently, depending on the size of plumbing on the suction side the vacuum gauge may read higher with a clean filter than it would with freer flow, or a pump that bogs down as suction lift increases, which this pump will not.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #82
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you talking about the return from the injector pump?Or are you saying that it will suck fuel away from the engine.

If it is the first, the return FROM the injector pump goes through a check valve at the top right.

If it's the second... The system is not designed to run simultaniously while the engine is running. The 3-way valve in the lower-center of the drawing is to select the fuel to route EITHER to the engine OR the polishing rig. Not both.

DaddyO... Pump and motor are both from Grainger. Pump is part# 6XE80 and the motor is # 5XB85. Both together cost about $190

Tom-
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #83
Grand Vizier

If you're not going to polish fuel while the engine is running, then there isn't an issue.* I am assuming that the two Racors on the left are the secondary filters supplying fuel to the injector pump.* If so, you don't want the injector pump to be working against the polishing pump but if you don't run them at the same time that's not a worry.* My suggestion to take off the injector pump supply from the output side of the Procon also assumes that the Procon will pass the required flow whether it was running or not, which as I think about it, may not be the case.* A day tank would solve all of this.

Incidentally, if you have to mount the motor with the pump above, it's not the end of the world, it's just a best practice so that if a pump leaks, it doesn't leak into the motor.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #84
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
Delfin wrote:

If you're not going to polish fuel while the engine is running, then there isn't an issue.* I am assuming that the two Racors on the left are the secondary filters supplying fuel to the injector pump.* If so, you don't want the injector pump to be working against the polishing pump but if you don't run them at the same time that's not a worry.* My suggestion to take off the injector pump supply from the output side of the Procon also assumes that the Procon will pass the required flow whether it was running or not, which as I think about it, may not be the case.* A day tank would solve all of this.

Incidentally, if you have to mount the motor with the pump above, it's not the end of the world, it's just a best practice so that if a pump leaks, it doesn't leak into the motor.
The two Racors on the left are the PRIMARY filters to supply the engine.

How would a day tank solve anything? I am missing something in your logic.

Otherwise, things like the pump-over-motor being an issue (or better yet the non-issue) would be nice to know before you say it should be changed and I spend all night last night doing a full redesign of the rig. Just sayin' (just ribbin')

Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #85
Grand Vizier

You are correct on the primary/secondary designation - my bad.* Tom I sent you an email with my cell number.* It's easier to talk than write, so give me a call.