Go Back   Trawler Forum > Maintenance and Systems > Power Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #1

Re-repairing bad patch job where keel and cutlass bearing housing mount

Greetings to all. I am new here and welcome any help.

Purchased a '78 marine trader 34'dc recently. Great boat but has issues like anything with age. Hauled onto the hard to identify leak in floor of engine room. Found a poor repair made to the cutlass bearing assembly-cutlass bearing housing and the threaded plate that attaches to the stern tube. Apparently the fiberglass tube was replaced with a stainless tube, access holes cut in the side of the keel for insertion of mounting studs, the assembly bedded with lots of silicon caulk and lock-nutted down to the keel. I have not reopened the access holes in the keel to see what type of holding agent/fastener was used but it failed miserably. The entire assembly was hand loose on inspection. Water has gotten into the keel and I feel the pressure drove the water up through a weak spot into the engine room. I have taken the bearing housing off and unscrewed the mount plate from the stern tube. Had to cut off the studs to get the plate screwed off. Drilled some holes into the keel to check for water migration. And now... welcome anyone with info to help me repair this proper. *
normio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Guru

RE: Re-repairing bad patch job where keel and cutlass bearing housing mount

I would like to see pics of what you have to work with.

However it would* be my thought to re-glass the entire area, making sure things are at least as strong as original. Then install a new good quality stern tube assembly.

jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #3

Was hoping to use the existing tube, not that old, threads good.

But a pic is worth... I will load up some pics. Thanks
normio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #4

I have the same problem on my MT 34" the same age. But I have not made inspection yet. how did you inspect the stern tube, from inside? did you have any pictures?
erlingi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

Jay is correct. Replace and rebuild. A SS stern tube is not necessarily good for this application due to most (not all) SS*suffering/failing from crevice corrosion when devoid of O2.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

I would hire*a person that know what they are doing this this kind of job.* I have been doing 90% of the maintence and repair, but when it comes below the water line I*hire people with the know.*

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:
I would hire*a person that know what they are doing this this kind of job.* I have been doing 90% of the maintence and repair, but when it comes below the water line I*hire people with the know.*

*The problem is...too many pros DON'T know...you have to really search around to find marina's that are much better than changing spark plugs.

Once they determine the right fix...yes techs can often to the work pretty well...just make sure you get a second and third opinion before you ley any general, run of the mill boatyard to do the work.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40

my cut on a leaky stern tube is you might just have to live with it,* When I investigated it..the only marina that has done a replacement that I could find said they would never do it again.

If you can somehow eliminate water intrusion into the boat...that's the best you might do (like me). Water into the hollow keel may be an issue but again like me be satisfied to pump it out on a regular basis rather than the ultimate fix.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

that goes with out saying that you would check/ask around *and make sure they knew what they were doing.* Also, I would never ever pull at a yard that will not let you and or other vendors work on the boat while in their yard.* Did that once and never again!* ***
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
psneeld wrote:Phil Fill wrote:

*I've been horrified by solutions come up with by so called "experts" Stern tubes are tricky. They keep water from entering into any voids in your keel. If the tube has been replaced it may have been due to a breach of some kind in the original. I've seen a spun cutlass in the stern tube and the "experts advice was to drill 2 holes in either side of the hull outside the cutlass bearing and tap into the bronze of the bearing. Then 2 bolts were threaded in.This puncture of the glass stern tube then allowed water into the encapsulated *keel.The ballast was steel plate and sand and was holding a huge amount of water. Not good. You may want to check and see if you've had any water intrusion into your keel.

*The problem is...too many pros DON'T know...you have to really search around to find marina's that are much better than changing spark plugs.

Once they determine the right fix...yes techs can often to the work pretty well...just make sure you get a second and third opinion before you ley any general, run of the mill boatyard to do the work.

2DASEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Re-repairing bad patch job where keel and cutlass bearing housing mount

I had a persistant leak we traced to a leaky stern tube two years ago. To get at the tube I pulled the generator, cut out the "flat" over the hull v and dug out the wet stinking and I mean stinking foam. Next pull the shaft and plug the aft end with a plumbers plug used to pressure test domestic drain and vent systems. Then made up a fitting to fit the stufing box hose and added 5 pounds of air. The leak was obvious.*

Next step was cut out the tube with the sawzall. That tube looked like it was made in the shop by wraping glass around a pipe. Bought a fiberglass tube from Nor' Easter Yachts,*http://www.noreasteryachts.com

They can make almost any type of tube you want (no connection to them) at very reasonable prices. At this point Seaport Marine in Stonington, CT took over and did a great job of installing the tube in perfect allignment.

1. Old tube before removal looking forward.

2. Looking aft after removal

3. Part of old stuffing box

4. Hole in old tube

*Will have to get a shot of the finished job.

Rob

37' Sedan

-- Edited by Datenight on Monday 27th of February 2012 10:01:22 PM
Attached Thumbnails
img_0228.jpg   img_0224.jpg   img_0222.jpg   img_0221.jpg  
Datenight is offline   Reply With Quote