Fuel leak Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave_E

Vessel Name
Agnus Dei
Vessel Make
36' Shin Shing
Hi All,

See the threaded hole? That's at the rear of the Ford Lehman 120, just aft of the #6 injector. There is fuel coming out of it. I don't have a clue. :blush:

I don't know why the picture keeps uploaded upside down!!!

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1361.jpg
    IMG_1361.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. DE. That appears to be the fuel return line. Should connect to a pipe and connect back to your fuel tank. Some bits missing in you photo methinks...

Had me going for a while as the picture is upside down.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. DE. That appears to be the fuel return line. Should connect to a pipe and connect back to your fuel tank. Some bits missing in you photo methinks...

Had me going for a while as the picture is upside down.

Exactly what it is. If you cant find it locally, american diesel has the fitting with a barb for 1/4” hose.

Exactly what it is. If you cant find it locally, american diesel has the fitting with a barb for 1/4” hose.

Should be a brass fitting screwed into it, then maybe a 90 elbow, finally the fuel return hose. Hose could be a braided with screw fitting or rubber that would fit over a barb.

There must be a loose hose somewhere not connected to anything. Fitting must have loosened due to vibration. It might be on the end of the hose. Just screw it back in. If not, the fitting must be rolling around in the bilge. Mirror and flashlight will be helpful locating it.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replays... you can't imagine where my head was going (cracked head). :eek:

So after looking at a manual, sure enough, that's the return line. I found another thread on this forum that talked about this subject. It was thought returning the line to the primary filters was OK. I'm good with that, but wouldn't that introduce air into the primary filters' since the fuel is but a weep?

By the way, no fittings or loose lines. To add to that the circulating water pump is gone, saw a green drip, there's a small green puddle in the drip pan and sure enough green fluid coming from the weep hole.

AND, I went to change the oil in the injection pump... THERE WAS NONE. So my question for this one is where did the oil go? Through a seal in the front to the gearbox? Engine runs fine, what kind of damage could have happened?

Glad I'm finding this stuff now before cruising season.

Dave

Last edited:
fuel from tank to fuel pump, to fuel filters, to injection pump, then to injectors. Excess fuel returns to tank via return line at last cylinder. Injection pump may also have return line connected to return via Y fitting or may return to tank directly. Trace return line from top of tank to see where it ends up at engine

Returning to filter is not the original design and is a change done by some PO. There are zero air bubbles in supply and return, you would notice very erratic engine operation if so. I would restore to original design.

If engine runs fine there is no damage to injection pump. Make sure the fill plug is cracked open or nothing will drain. Stick a piece of wire in the middle plug to make sure it is dry. Just add oil and check frequently. If your positive there is no oil, then it could be a seal. Not a trivial replacement.

Back
Top Bottom