Fuel flow sensor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Fuel burn is proportionate to your boat speed. If you wanna save fuel, you have to go slower.

Adding a floscan wont change that. Its physics."

However boats work in 2 mediums and how efficient the cruise is in still air and water will be far different plugging into a 30K breeze and 4 ft waves.

The Flow Scan is the ONLY way to instantly understand what the fuel burn is underway in other than smooth water.

FF wrote:

The Flow Scan is the ONLY way to instantly understand what the fuel burn is underway in other than smooth water.
******* Absolutely true!

Old Stone wrote:*It would take a while to recapture the costs, but it does eventually pay off in spades.

True......Why is it that no one* talks about the "trouble shooting" capabilities of the FloScan? It's not just about fuel burn and fuel remaining. I agree, you don't have to have an electronic fuel management system to know that!

You can see trouble spots instantly, before you ever would on a boat with out instant fuel flow information. Those that don't have one cannot possibly know the value of them.* I'm tired of people knocking the product when they "no nothing about it" and simply try to rationalize why they don't have one. Why don't they have one? They don't want to or cannot pony up the money to buy one! That's the unvarnished truth!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 09:25:29 AM

Attachments

• floscan.jpg
    floscan.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 89
Cruising in the PNW adds another element to the fuel burn question - winds, tides and currents. Whether in Alaska or BC most of our day's travel is timed to optimize the wind forecast and current. This careful watching can easily add 2 to 5 knots of speed, or the reverse. Fuel efficiency then becomes directly tied to "navigational" skills and judgement. Not to mention safety.

For long offshore blue water cruising, fuel measurement via both instruments and tank measurement is imperative.

Old Stone

Floscan happiness is had with singles. I know some that have great difficulty and frustration getting their twin engine Floscan setups to agree. I am not too sure that Floscans are at the top of the instrument list for trouble shooting. It seems on boat diesel.com the trouble shooting tips hardly ever say "what is your Floscan telling you."*

This past year I added EGT gauges at 1/3 the price of Floscans. At my slow trawler speeds they almost get to 400 degrees! I do agree, Floscans are good/fun to have, but necessary for me is a different story. This comes from a guy who has 3 onboard charting systems, AIS, 3 depth sounders, 4 GPS units and two heading sensors! Not to mention radar with ARPA, NMEA 2000 backbone, laptops and an EPIRB. I'm swimming in technology! Now for that weather station -------------.

Sunchaser, I agree with your sentiments.* Yeah, a Floscan is not a necessity compared to a lot of other stuff on boats.* Nevertheless, I wanted the immediate feedback.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom