Old 04-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
RE: Fuel flow sensor

Quote:
Steve wrote:
Ron, I installed a Floscan on my (previous boat)*2002 Camano with a TAMD 41, I don't remember the rest of the model digits it was about 200hp turbo and after cooled. If you are interested in installing one they might have the correct unit if you call or e'mail them. I found it to be relatively easy to install and very accurate after a couple of simple calibrations. I do have a couple of pictures of the installation if you are interested PM me.

Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Friday 15th of April 2011 08:08:22 AM

Thanks.* It's a pretty common engine so I can't imagine why it didn't come up in their website.

It's just a wish, not a necessity.* It seems to me like I priced it once before and it was $900 or so.* It would take*me a long time to save that much in fuel.

I would want something that interfaces with my Garmin 5208s to show fuel mileage so I could pick the most economical speed.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
rwidman wrote:* It would take*me a long time to save that much in fuel.
* * * * Not so much any more. (As fuel prices climb, FloScan works even better!)

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #23
Guru

I'm still thinking about that and wondering why the Lowrance would work on gas engine and not on diesel. Is it just because of the return line? If so I could still install it on my Lehman since the return flow is minimal. it would still give me a good idea of the consumption. I think I'll reach out to Lowrance to get their view on this.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #24

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako

Here is how I measure real fuel flow:

Fill up. Record the # of gallons you take and the engine hours at fill up. Create a spread sheet with this data. Keep logging this each time you fill up with fuel, and even if you dont. Start calculating the average fuel consumption PER HOUR. It should show you what you already know about your engine's fuel consumption.

R.
ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #25
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
ralphyost wrote:

Fill up. Record the # of gallons you take and the engine hours at fill up. Create a spread sheet with this data. Keep logging this each time you fill up with fuel, and even if you dont. Start calculating the average fuel consumption PER HOUR. It should show you what you already know about your engine's fuel consumption.

R.
Sorry, but that doesn't begin to record any kind of average for me, as every time out on the boat is unique. If, I were to go to all that trouble over a period of ten to fifteen years, I should actually arrive at an average, but not before then. On one trip, I might leave at full cruise, due to heavy weather and the fact that my boat performs better at full cruise, and the next time, given flat water and beautiful sunshine, and no significant competition for anchorage or dock space, I might choose to go slow, or basically half the speed of the prior trip. These are just a couple variables that might effect my average. For me, at this point in my boating life, a very general, best guess average (as long as I can afford it), is good enough. If I were to worry the whole thing to death, I would have to have a flow meter of some sort. But, at this time, I shall treat fuel consumption as a necessary component of life itself, and simply pay the bill, and damn well make sure I can do so. *
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
ralphyost wrote:

I do this.* Still, my fuel consumption varies greatly with engine speed so knowing an average doesn't tell me a lot.

I know I get better fuel mileage at 2K RPM than 3K RPM but if I had better data I could determine the optimum engine speed.

Also, I have no way of knowing how accurate my fuel gauges are.* If they read 1/4 tank, is that really 11.25 gallons or could it be 20 gallons or 2 gallons?* I can fill my tanks to "F" and still add fuel.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
"Also, I have no way of knowing how accurate my fuel gauges are. If they read 1/4 tank, is that really 11.25 gallons or could it be 20 gallons or 2 gallons? I can fill my tanks to "F" and still add fuel."

Ron - Did you special order those guages? Were they very expensive? These speciality items are often very hard to find, so if you would share your source with your Buddies here...............

They are the stock Volvo gauges.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #28
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Nothing the matter with gizmos, lord knows I*have enough of them. For go fasts burning 20 + gph, Floscans or on engine "computers"*are just the ticket. The assumption though that floscans will yield financial benefit to a small trawler may be a bit fleeting. Your best combination of speed and fuel burn will be at about 0.9 X the square root of the water line length. Even though the constant is 1.34, unless you are a sail boat that constant is at best elusive and likely too high.

SInce few of us want to cruise at 0.9, I use 1.1 to 1.2 for my DeFever and which equates to about 7.8 to 8.0 knots for the approximate 44' water line length. This works out to 1725 - 1750*RPM in relatively smooth water. With a flow scan I'm sure I could improve fuel burn by a tenth or two gph at the most or save about $400 per year. And best you measure the return, even for a Lehman, or your numbers may be gibberish. This all assumes of course that floscans work perfectly, which they do not. If you don't have digital tachs, floscans are even less relevant IMHO.

So gizmo lovers, by all means hook a floscan or two up. Like Ralph Yost, I measure my tanks daily, when cruising, against the installed " tank's mounted yardsticks." It seems to work out to 4. 1 to 4.4*(or so) gph all the time with genset sometimes on, hummmmmmm.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:
Nothing the matter with gizmos, lord knows I*have enough of them. For go fasts burning 20 + gph, Floscans or on engine "computers"*are just the ticket. The assumption though that floscans will yield financial benefit to a small trawler may be a bit fleeting. Your best combination of speed and fuel burn will be at about 0.9 X the square root of the water line length. Even though the constant is 1.34, unless you are a sail boat that constant is at best elusive and likely too high.

SInce few of us want to cruise at 0.9, I use 1.1 to 1.2 for my DeFever and which equates to about 7.8 to 8.0 knots for the approximate 44' water line length. This works out to 1725 - 1750*RPM in relatively smooth water. With a flow scan I'm sure I could improve fuel burn by a tenth or two gph at the most or save about $400 per year. And best you measure the return, even for a Lehman, or your numbers may be gibberish. This all assumes of course that floscans work perfectly, which they do not. If you don't have digital tachs, floscans are even less relevant IMHO.

So gizmo lovers, by all means hook a floscan or two up. Like Ralph Yost, I measure my tanks daily, when cruising, against the installed " tank's mounted yardsticks." It seems to work out to 4. 1 to 4.4*(or so) gph all the time with genset sometimes on, hummmmmmm.

If I could stick my tanks or had sight gauges, I could solve the problem of not knowing reliably exactly how much fuel I have in them.* As it is, I get nervous when the gauges approach 1/4 tank and fuel up when I might not need to.* Likewise, I don't know how close to full my tanks are when I am fuelling.

I just looked and I've spent about $500 per year in fuel so I can't justify a "gizmo" purely for fuel savings, but if speeding up a little only decreased efficiency by a little, I would probably do it sometimes.*
Old 04-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #30

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako
Fuel flow sensor

Fuel burn is proportionate to your boat speed. If you wanna save fuel, you have to go slower.

Adding a floscan wont change that. Its physics.

Get a small, measured can of diesel - say 3 gallons. Run at nornal cruise speed (say 1800 RPM for a Lehman 120 engine) and it should take you more than 1 hour to burn through the 3 gallons. Do the calculations of how much time it took to burn up the three gallons and there you have it - your actual fuel burn rate at normal cruise speed.

My tank filling calculations provide the same figure but averaged over a wider degree of conditions.

What else is there? Its not complicated.

R.

-- Edited by ralphyost on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 12:22:53 PM
ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:26 AM   #31
FF
Guru

"Fuel burn is proportionate to your boat speed. If you wanna save fuel, you have to go slower.

Adding a floscan wont change that. Its physics."

However boats work in 2 mediums and how efficient the cruise is in still air and water will be far different plugging into a 30K breeze and 4 ft waves.

The Flow Scan is the ONLY way to instantly understand what the fuel burn is underway in other than smooth water.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
FF wrote:

The Flow Scan is the ONLY way to instantly understand what the fuel burn is underway in other than smooth water.
******* Absolutely true!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #33
Guru

Fuel flow sensor

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:*It would take a while to recapture the costs, but it does eventually pay off in spades.
__________________________________________________ _______________

True......Why is it that no one* talks about the "trouble shooting" capabilities of the FloScan? It's not just about fuel burn and fuel remaining. I agree, you don't have to have an electronic fuel management system to know that!

You can see trouble spots instantly, before you ever would on a boat with out instant fuel flow information. Those that don't have one cannot possibly know the value of them.* I'm tired of people knocking the product when they "no nothing about it" and simply try to rationalize why they don't have one. Why don't they have one? They don't want to or cannot pony up the money to buy one! That's the unvarnished truth!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 09:25:29 AM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floscan.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	5746  
Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #34
Guru

Cruising in the PNW adds another element to the fuel burn question - winds, tides and currents. Whether in Alaska or BC most of our day's travel is timed to optimize the wind forecast and current. This careful watching can easily add 2 to 5 knots of speed, or the reverse. Fuel efficiency then becomes directly tied to "navigational" skills and judgement. Not to mention safety.

For long offshore blue water cruising, fuel measurement via both instruments and tank measurement is imperative.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #35
Guru

Old Stone

Floscan happiness is had with singles. I know some that have great difficulty and frustration getting their twin engine Floscan setups to agree. I am not too sure that Floscans are at the top of the instrument list for trouble shooting. It seems on boat diesel.com the trouble shooting tips hardly ever say "what is your Floscan telling you."*

This past year I added EGT gauges at 1/3 the price of Floscans. At my slow trawler speeds they almost get to 400 degrees! I do agree, Floscans are good/fun to have, but necessary for me is a different story. This comes from a guy who has 3 onboard charting systems, AIS, 3 depth sounders, 4 GPS units and two heading sensors! Not to mention radar with ARPA, NMEA 2000 backbone, laptops and an EPIRB. I'm swimming in technology! Now for that weather station -------------.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #36
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Sunchaser, I agree with your sentiments.* Yeah, a Floscan is not a necessity compared to a lot of other stuff on boats.* Nevertheless, I wanted the immediate feedback.

markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote