Old 06-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
If some one is only getting 50 hours of use on a Racor element then they need to go up at least one size on the filter unit. As well as take a very close look at the cleanliness of their fuel.

With the proper size filters and clean fuel, you should get at least a hundred hours on a filter element no matter how much fuel your engine uses and returns.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #22
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
I'm over 1,000 gallons in the past 12 months with just a fine sheeen on the bottom of my Racor 500. No water showing.

KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
..................... I would hope anyone familiar with their fuel system would know what their engine returns........
I think it depends on the engine, not the fuel system.

It's not something I've ever been concerned with but I suppose I could find out if I really wanted to. As long as there's enough fuel pumped to satisfy the engine, I'm happy.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #24
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I consider myself familiar with my fuel system, especially after the issues I had with the failed fuel cap and water contamination a year ago. But I never thought I had to measure the amount of return fuel to be REALLY be considered 'familiar' with it. Has anyone else who's familiar with their fuel system also measured their return fuel rate or am I the only one?

Just when you think you've got a handle on it, something like this comes along! I guess I better raise the bar a bit higher.
Al perhaps I missed it how many gallons an hour do your Perkins 4-236 motors return (each) to the fuel tank?
Thanks,
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #25
Guru

After all the comments about short run hours, I pulled out my log book today and checked filter change intervals. A number of different scenarios came to light!! There were some proactive change-outs before longer voyages to avoid the need to change underway - better to be prepared!! There were change outs after our tanks were cleaned when we first bought the boat. There were change outs with new fuel and most recently change outs with aging fuel. Hours run between filters varied significantly. Initially with clean tanks and fresh (road tanker) fuel we were getting 75-100hrs. Then for a period with barge fuel (fishing fleet and Ft. Lauderdale barges) we were were averaging more like 60+hrs. But we were also getting spikes up to 90hrs. Most recently (past 3 years) averages are running higher and as high as 150-200+ hrs with older fuel. My non-scientific conclusion is that there is a lot of variation between dirt handling capabilities of the 2 micron Racor 900 filters. I did drain tanks a couple of years ago and did not get any sediment or black particles in the final dregs.

I did also confirm that the Cummins 5.9 6BTA pump spec is 29GPH, so, for example, 100hrs of run time equals almost 3,000 gallons filtered.

Can't explain the lower numbers. If it was dirty fuel, then we cleaned it up just fine, because everything runs great!! I also think that there are most likely "tight" Racors and "loose" Racors. These are not precision items. I do know something about filters - I worked for a precision filter company selling ultrafine filtration to the pharma and electronics industries.
Last comment is that I do not really care whether I get 50 or 250 hrs provided the filters do their job and the Cummins is happy!! Plus I also have an on engine 2-micron filter after the Racors - belt, suspenders and jock strap!!.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #26
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I think that if you change your fuel filters before anything is showing in the bowl, or if your vacuum gauge is not registering, you are wasting your money and needlessly enriching Parker-Hannifin. I run a pair of filters for the 6CTA and can switch over with a simple lever to an unused filter if one gets gummed up.

Having said that, change your filters every day if it makes you feel happy (isn't there a song about that?)
Old 06-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I also have an engine mounted filter. I thought all engines did.

My Racor filters are 2 micron and so is the one on the engine. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense but it was like that when I bought the boat and I didn't see a reason to change what seems to be working.

I imagine if I was in a part of the world where dirty fuel was common I might use a 10 or 20 micron filter before the engine filter.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #28
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

My Racor filters are 2 micron and so is the one on the engine. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense but it was like that when I bought the boat and I didn't see a reason to change what seems to be working.
Same here. I change the Racor 500 filters when the need arrives (not enough flow to reach maximum speed), and change the on-engine filters during annual engine maintenance. Surely not efficient, but it works for me. Regardless, it's the cheapest part of boat maintenance.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #29
Guru

Filters are cheap (depending on where you buy them) and being proactive sure beats trying to change over in the middle of the night 100 miles off shore in snotty weather!!

Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote