Old 07-15-2013, 02:02 AM   #21

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Takahoa
Vessel Model: Pelin Crusader 42 ft
We inserted a "T ' fitting into the raw intake hose just before the raw water filter i.e between the hull intake skin fitting and the raw filter.
The fresh water flush pipe (which is a reinforced hose) runs from a quick connect fitting near the transom and then forward through the bilge to a seacock mounted at the "T' connection. Thus we avoid any drilling or tapping into the filter body.

A key feature of this system is the flapper valve diversion which directs the fresh water out through the transom when the sea cock is shut or if the motor is not running. Thereby avoiding the possibility of a water lock in the engine.

The fresh water flush hose is 3/4 inch from marina tap to provide sufficient water volume for the Cat 3208 NA.

timj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:30 AM   #22

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Takahoa
Vessel Model: Pelin Crusader 42 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Most boats already have marine parts that can accept living in sea water .

On an aluminum IO or outboard it might be worth the effort , or on a boat where sea water is in the block it could be a help for engine longevity .

Direct sea water cooling is not common today even on IO boats.
Cast iron risers on Caterpillar 3208 only last 3 or 4 years we are told. Just replaced at over $NZ 3500 each plus installation.

The fresh water flush will add significantly to the life of these risers - we are advised.

Most inclined to agree but guess time will tell.

timj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #23
FF
Guru

Cast iron risers on Caterpillar 3208 only last 3 or 4 years we are told. Just replaced at over $NZ 3500 each plus installation.

Check with other suppliers cast SS should not be much more,

heck with
Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama, Inc.

www.mesamarine.com/‎
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I installed something similar on my Perko strainer. This is the setup that Tony Athens recommends. There is no doubt that fresh water is less conductive than salt water and at the very least will reduce zinc usage and maybe corrosion.

I drilled and tapped the cover for 1/2" NPT and threaded a street el, a couple of close nipples, a 1/2" ball valve, a 3/4x1/2" bushing and a female hose adapter. Parts cost was about $25.

To use it, you run the engine in idle, connect up a water hose and with the thru hull valve open you open the fresh water flow. The theory is that the fresh water displaces the salt water and only fresh water gets sucked up into the engine.

Well, with our low slip fresh water flow it didn't work that way. After idling for 5 minutes I pulled a zinc and the water still tasted brackish (our water is always brackish). Maybe it would work better with stronger flow. And it would certainly work if I shut off the thruhull, but I am hesitant to do that.

Here is the picture:
David, I did a very similar thing to the raw water strainer for my air conditioning system. There was a problem with air locks after the boat had been out and put back in the water. Open the valve to let the air out. I put a hose connection on it to flush out that system with fresh water or cleaning mixture. Works like a charm.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I put a hose connection on it to flush out that system with fresh water or cleaning mixture. Works like a charm.
Don, do you not leave the Air Conditioning on while unattended at the dock?
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Don, do you not leave the Air Conditioning on while unattended at the dock?
No, Tim. I am afraid of a line breaking, and sinking the boat. The air lock only occurs after the boat is hauled, so it's not a major problem. Just wanted a method that made it easier to bleed the line. I have a captain that keeps an eye on the boat for me. I pay him monthly to check the bilges, and air the boat out. He has the charter boat, Last Mango, in the slip next to me; and can hear the alarms if they go off in the boat. I just don't trust fittings enough to leave the a/c pump running. I may be away for a month or two at a time. I also turn off and clean out the ice maker and refrigerator in case the power goes out. I turn off the inverter. I don't want anything to run the batteries down. I turn off everything on the boat except the battery charger and the 24 hr things like bilge pumps, stereo memory, etc. Is that anal?
Old 07-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
No, Tim. I am afraid of a line breaking, and sinking the boat.
Is that anal?
No I don't think so.

I worry about a line breaking and sinking the boat too. The admiral worries about mildew and claims the vinyl liner will sag if it gets too hot.

So far I've run the AC 24/7 but again I worry about a line breaking.

I have a siren connected to a high water bilge alarm that I hope someone would react to. But a broken AC line would probably sink the boat before anyone could do anything.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
No I don't think so.

I worry about a line breaking and sinking the boat too. The admiral worries about mildew and claims the vinyl liner will sag if it gets too hot.

So far I've run the AC 24/7 but again I worry about a line breaking.

I have a siren connected to a high water bilge alarm that I hope someone would react to. But a broken AC line would probably sink the boat before anyone could do anything.
We only had a mildew problem one time. Guess what? An air conditioning condensate line had seeped water into the bilge under the saloon area. We unloaded the whole boat. Cleaned, disinfected, aired, and sun dried it all. No problems since. It doesn't take much water in a bilge to get condensation. Airing the boat out occasionally seems to keep it in check.